Pentax WG-3 vs Olympus TG-3 - movie limitations

Started 11 months ago | Questions
flyingrhino
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Pentax WG-3 vs Olympus TG-3 - movie limitations
11 months ago

Hi,

I'm in the market for a rugged camera to take caving (note - wet, dirty, gets knocked, low light). Camera use will be stills and movies.

So far I've narrowed it down to Pentax WG-3 and Olympus TG-2. But both seem to have their problems and neither seems to be even remotely close to perfect

Photo quality has been reviewed quite deeply in DPR as well as other sites but no one seems to review movie mode properly. For example:

1a. What's the wide angle for movie mode in the Pentax and Olympus? Is it the same as photo mode?

1b. If Pentax uses software NR for video this should come at the expense of wide angle - so it's not going to be 25 at the wide end, right?

2. Olympus has the choppy video probably resulting from hardware NR. Has anyone experienced this with the pentax software NR?

3. Is the video output of the pentax limited to 25 minutes at all resolutions (even the lower ones) or is it simply the 4Gb file limitation?

4. Is it 1080p or 1080i at 30fps?

Other issues in general:

1. How bad is the low light focusing in the pentax? Does it eventualy focus or simply give up and default to something?

2. Tripod mount is at the far end on the pentax, properly centered on the olympus

Answers will be most welcome. I am leaning towards the pentax (as a result of having a w20 for many many years of service - still works)

Thanks,

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,901Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax WG-3 vs Olympus TG-3 - movie limitations
In reply to flyingrhino, 10 months ago

flyingrhino wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a rugged camera to take caving (note - wet, dirty, gets knocked, low light). Camera use will be stills and movies.

Have you considered a higher-quality subcompact, like a Sony RX100, in a waterproof housing?  Low light + extreme contrast are not an easy scenario to handle for a toughcam.

So far I've narrowed it down to Pentax WG-3 and Olympus TG-2. But both seem to have their problems and neither seems to be even remotely close to perfect

Photo quality has been reviewed quite deeply in DPR as well as other sites but no one seems to review movie mode properly. For example:

1a. What's the wide angle for movie mode in the Pentax and Olympus? Is it the same as photo mode?

In video mode, Olympus switches to something like 28mm.

I own a TG-1, and it has the dreaded "clicking sound" problem during video (AF mechanism constantly hunts, causing a rapid click-click-click sound, similar to a sewing machine or an old-style movie projector).  Not all TG-1/TG-2's have this problem.

A workaround that I use is to shoot videos in "Underwater Snap 2" mode.  It disables the AF and sets the lens to hyperfocal distance.  Unfortunately, it also disables the zoom.

The rest of your questions seem to be all about the Pentax, can't help you there, sorry.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flyingrhino
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, 10 months ago

Thank you very much for your response.

I do need the camera to take serious knocks because it needs to be carried to and through caves, canyons, etc. The housing protects from water but not really from drops, the lenses and everything else will eventually move.

The Olympus you have - is it 28mm even if you turn off the optical and software stabilization? I've got a really old pentax w20 and it reduces the width when software IS is on, but if turned off then the width becomes that of the lens at it's natural maximum width. I tested this by placing it on a table and pointing it at something in photo then video mode and checked the resulting width.
BTW, can you turn off auto focus in your Oly? This way the ticking should stop. I had the same in my pentax and I half click, focus on whatever I want then full click for recording. Focus gets locked but ticking goes away. In my case action shots are at 4-8 meters so the focus does not affect the image too much front and back.

Thanks,

BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,901Gear list
Like?
In reply to flyingrhino, 10 months ago

Just tried it. If movie stabilization is turned off, the angle of view looks identical to what you get in stills.

Your other question - with the Olympus, the "underwater snapshot 2" is the *only* way to turn off the AF. (And it locks the zoom at 25mm).

Olympus also doesn't let you change jpeg conversion parameters (sharpness, contrast, and saturation). If that's important to you, go with Pentax.

On the other hand, Olympus has the aperture-priority mode.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
flyingrhino
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, 10 months ago

Thanks Boris,

Your feedback on the settings is very useful,

Seems like I'm going the Pentax way.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads