Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions
mathi_vadhanan
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Re: Reporting my D600
In reply to Absolutic, Aug 27, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

Received my D600 from Adorama. Happy to report that 1) the shutter count was ZERO, the first shot I took with it is registering as shot number 1 on a Mac Inspector. Nice. I took a photo of my wall at F22 and found a few really faint spots which I can only see if pixel peeping at 100% and that do not bother me at all. Very happy with everything other than the grip of D600 for some reason makes my middle finger hurt as I am holding it as the grip becomes smaller at the spot when the middle finger is holding. For some reason i don't remember this problem in my former D300 or D700, or the Canons. Nor I can remember that issue with D7000. On the other hand the picture quality is superb.

I also had holding the grip issue, coming from a D7000. You'll get adjusted to it, in 2 days.

mathi_vadhanan's gear list:mathi_vadhanan's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carl Maiorino
Senior MemberPosts: 1,846
Like?
Don't Take My Response As A D3 Complaint...
In reply to Alpha Tech, Aug 27, 2013

...Oil spots are annoying but minor and easy to deal with.  The D3 is the finest camera I have shot with and continues to deliver outstanding images time after time.

JerryDavis
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?
Re: probably Adorama's lovely policies
In reply to Alpha Tech, Aug 27, 2013

Alpha Tech wrote:

Adorama is well known for reselling Used items as New. I recently placed an order with them only because B&H was out of stock. When I checked my order history I found that over 4 years had passed since my last order. I had stopped buying things from Adorama because of their deceptive practice. It might be another 4 years before I order from them again.

I'm very surprised to hear that. Could you possibly email me your order number(s) so I can investigate this?

-- hide signature --

Jerry Greenbaum
Adorama-Supervisor

Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
Re: You are not the only one!
In reply to Brian Caslis, Aug 27, 2013

Brian Caslis wrote:

So you would rather have the shutter fail sooner and have to pay for that repair then do a simple wet clean which would take a few minutes? OK, that's your privilege. Hopefully you can see that someone else might have a different opinion.

Brian, I hope that your next camera is loaded with oil and dust so that you have to clean it endlessly, wasting plenty of money on swabs and cleaner. It's the only way that an uninformed person as yourself will learn. In fact, I hope 3 of your next cameras have this problem. Maybe after you have experienced the frustration from tens of thousands of images with oil and dust spots you will learn that your isolated world of clean sensors isn't what this thread is about.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
Alpha Tech
Like?
In reply to JerryDavis, Aug 27, 2013

JerryDavis wrote:

Alpha Tech wrote:

Adorama is well known for reselling Used items as New. I recently placed an order with them only because B&H was out of stock. When I checked my order history I found that over 4 years had passed since my last order. I had stopped buying things from Adorama because of their deceptive practice. It might be another 4 years before I order from them again.

I'm very surprised to hear that. Could you possibly email me your order number(s) so I can investigate this?

-- hide signature --

Jerry Greenbaum
Adorama-Supervisor

And I am very surprised that it is news to you. On the other hand, you provided the expected response from a retailer, so I should NOT be surprised.

I am not going to research old orders for you. But what I will tell you is this... Over $7,000 of my money went to your competitors again this year, and 2013 is not over. STOP selling Used items as New! You can stay in denial and claim this practice is not occurring, or you can keep losing business.

Then again, I am sure it is more cost effective for Adorama to sell used equipment as new and lose some customers, rather than to process more returns and have more losses. Either way, I am done with this discussion.

Volksgti81
Contributing MemberPosts: 737Gear list
Like?
Re: Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor
In reply to SnappinOutdoors, Aug 27, 2013

It's pretty sad sorry you got duped. It's really a shame had this camera not been flawed it would've made an even larger sore on the side of Canon.

Volksgti81's gear list:Volksgti81's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Tech, Aug 28, 2013

Alpha Tech wrote:

Brian Caslis wrote:

So you would rather have the shutter fail sooner and have to pay for that repair then do a simple wet clean which would take a few minutes? OK, that's your privilege. Hopefully you can see that someone else might have a different opinion.

Brian, I hope that your next camera is loaded with oil and dust so that you have to clean it endlessly, wasting plenty of money on swabs and cleaner. It's the only way that an uninformed person as yourself will learn. In fact, I hope 3 of your next cameras have this problem. Maybe after you have experienced the frustration from tens of thousands of images with oil and dust spots you will learn that your isolated world of clean sensors isn't what this thread is about.

I have a D600, so I guess I must already have that. In any case I don't understand people like you who seem to want to only spread venom and FUD. Maybe you should get a Canon? I hear those are perfect and even take the pictures for you!

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Gosman
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian Caslis, Aug 28, 2013

Thank goodness I didn't fall into the infatuation syndrome on this camera and ordered it early in its life cycle. You should always wait and see how others find these cameras before you buy. I have been warning about this for years. I'm scorned for this advice but maybe someday someone will listen.

-- hide signature --

Gosman

Gosman's gear list:Gosman's gear list
Pentax K-3
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gosman, Aug 28, 2013

Shot over 300 shots with my Adorama D600 over the weekend and zero issues whatsoever.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Another Nikon Canada Refurb with dirty sensor issue...
In reply to Novens2, Aug 29, 2013

I bought a Nikon Canada refurb from Henry's. It was fine at first but, now, after about 100 shots it is showing a number of oil spots on the sensor. That's a bummer, man.

I've contacted Henry's and will send one to Nikon Canada. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 981
Like?
Re: Another Nikon Canada Refurb with dirty sensor issue...
In reply to Dave Sanders, Aug 29, 2013

Dave Sanders wrote:

I bought a Nikon Canada refurb from Henry's. It was fine at first but, now, after about 100 shots it is showing a number of oil spots on the sensor. That's a bummer, man.

I've contacted Henry's and will send one to Nikon Canada. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

i doubt if it will be THAT interesting.  Henry's will do nothing but suggest you take it to Nikon for service.  (Altho they might offer a refund.)  nikon will clean it and return it to you.  you will shoot a bit and then either be happy or the dust/oil will return.  You will get to know the Nikon reps at the counter in Mississauga. Sooner or later they'll change the shutter.  and clean some more.  if you're lucky, the whole business will straighten up after a few thousand shots.  maybe 10 thousand.  it's hard to say.  immediately you should order the copperhillimages basic kit so u can begin cleaning the sensor yourself.  i do it.  it's not hard.

i suggest when you pick up the camera from Nikon, that as soon s you're outside, shoot an f22 image of the clear sky.  then bang off 2 or 3 hundred on cl and ch moving the body all around.  finish with another f22 shot.  compare the two after zooming in on the lcd.  go right back in if more bad stuff shows up.  this'll save you spotted images and a separate trip. good luck.  the camera is very good except for this issue. (again, i would never recommend this camera unless a rock-solid guarantee of return if dis-satisfied is given).

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,681Gear list
Like?
still dust free...
In reply to Absolutic, Aug 29, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

Shot over 300 shots with my Adorama D600 over the weekend and zero issues whatsoever.

@ 2000 shots now.

very pleased with it. It was brand new though... 3/4 months ago.

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
JerryDavis
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?
In reply to Alpha Tech, Aug 29, 2013

Alpha Tech wrote:

JerryDavis wrote:

Alpha Tech wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jerry Greenbaum
Adorama-Supervisor

And I am very surprised that it is news to you. On the other hand, you provided the expected response from a retailer, so I should NOT be surprised.

I am not going to research old orders for you. But what I will tell you is this... Over $7,000 of my money went to your competitors again this year, and 2013 is not over. STOP selling Used items as New! You can stay in denial and claim this practice is not occurring, or you can keep losing business.

Then again, I am sure it is more cost effective for Adorama to sell used equipment as new and lose some customers, rather than to process more returns and have more losses. Either way, I am done with this discussion.

Yes it is news to me. We'd be out of business if what you insinuate would have been true.  We've been in business for over 35 years with stellar ratings. We pride ourselves with our customer service and we have a most lenient return policy in case you the customer are not completely satisfied. I offered to look into your accusation, yet you give me no backup. Please feel free to email me the info and like I said I'd be more than happy to look into it.

-- hide signature --

Jerry Greenbaum
Adorama-Supervisor

Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Henry's makes good!
In reply to frank-in-toronto, Aug 30, 2013

Thanks for putting in the time to respond. So, I sent Henry's a quick email and they almost instantaneously told me to ship the camera back for a full refund...and provided me with a mailing label. Almost like they were expecting it...hahaha. Anyways, outstanding service on their part. I understand that it must be frustrating for them to deal with a faulty product.

I sure hope the rumor of a D610 is true...enjoyed the camera a lot...the oil spots in all my skies? Not so much...

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Alpha Tech
Like?
Re: Henry's makes good!
In reply to Dave Sanders, Aug 30, 2013

I sure hope the rumor of a D610 is true...enjoyed the camera a lot...the oil spots in all my skies? Not so much...

The replacement might be the D600MO

M = Mirrorless

O = Oil less

Josezo Rose
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to SnappinOutdoors, Aug 30, 2013

How was it released without testing?

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,292
Like?
In reply to JerryDavis, Sep 1, 2013

JerryDavis wrote:

Yes it is news to me. We'd be out of business if what you insinuate would have been true. We've been in business for over 35 years with stellar ratings.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Adorama

7.10 / 10

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/B_H_Photo_Video_Pro_Audio

9.75 / 10

Must be a different definition of stellar at Adorama.

1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Sep 1, 2013

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

JerryDavis wrote:

Yes it is news to me. We'd be out of business if what you insinuate would have been true. We've been in business for over 35 years with stellar ratings.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Adorama

7.10 / 10

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/B_H_Photo_Video_Pro_Audio

9.75 / 10

Must be a different definition of stellar at Adorama.

+1

The couple of times I ordered from Adorama, they either sent me the WRONG item or informed me the item was backordered AFTER the salesman said it was in stock and took my payment. Have been buying from B&H for over 10 years and have had no problems whatsoever.

Stan

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,513
Like?
In reply to SnappinOutdoors, Sep 1, 2013

Waaaaaaaaah!!!

PJ U
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: I Will Say This...
In reply to Carl Maiorino, Sep 4, 2013

In my 2 years owning a canon 40D I saw dust spots on an image once (not a test image). I wet cleaned that camera once in 2 years. In my 2 weeks of owning a D600 I saw dust spots in the sky at f8 (again, not a test image). This was a few hundred shots after the initial wet clean.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads