Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions
JeanPierre Koenig
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
Re: Same thing except refurb with nikon Canada warrenty-- FILTHY sensor
In reply to SnappinOutdoors, Aug 22, 2013

It IS like new since people complain sensors in the D600 are filthy right from the start or after only a couple of hundred shutter iterations. AGAIN, you got a $1000 so CLEAN UP THE SENSOR and move on. Life is too short. TRYING to help, but I doubt it will.

JP

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fz750
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Re: Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor
In reply to JeanPierre Koenig, Aug 22, 2013

JeanPierre Koenig wrote:

ALL refurbished items come with caveats, be it a camera OR a toaster. So, while I understand your frustration, I think you are going over board with all these silly statements. Don't like it, return the product and buy another brand. Venting is not helpful to us OR you.

Best,

JP

What?! Are you serious?! You think it's normal for any company to do that?!

Venting is certainly the RIGHT thing to do, I don't want such products and had expected Nikon would be btter than this!

I (like everybody I guess) expect refurbished to mean cleaned, checked, and and defect parts to have been replaced.

I really have been itching to get a Nikon recently, technical improvment impress me highly but so many production engineering issues , and this does not help. Appalling actually.

Nikon should promote the design team manager to be head of production...

djsphynx
Regular MemberPosts: 498
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, Aug 22, 2013

frank-in-toronto wrote:

djsphynx wrote:

I'm still shocked that people continue to roll the dice with this model. The D600 has a fundamental problem and until Nikon redesigns it, the camera will continue to be manufactured with the defect.

No sense in rolling the dice. Get a used D800 or D700 if you don't need video and call it a day.

-- hide signature --

i have 29,000 on my d600. i went to nikon 3 times and i've wet cleaned it more than 10 times in less than a year. blown numerous. it's pretty good now but i can see at f16, those tell-tale spots in the upper left of the image. shortly i'll give it another wet cleaning. i would never recommend this body to a friend.

I feel for you. When the camera is clean, it's really impressive. The hassle and expense associated to cleaning it is unfortunate. Happy shooting (PS: just got back from TO, first time in about 7 or 8 years. wow, it's really changed, and for the better!)

-- hide signature --
dw2001
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
In reply to JeanPierre Koenig, Aug 22, 2013

JeanPierre Koenig wrote:

ALL refurbished items come with caveats, be it a camera OR a toaster. So, while I understand your frustration, I think you are going over board with all these silly statements. Don't like it, return the product and buy another brand. Venting is not helpful to us OR you.

Best,

JP

Bullsh1t, this is EXACTLY what we potential buyers of D600 want to hear, that this problem is real and Nikon is doing nothing about it. Unbelieavalbe!

I will never buy a D600 after hearing so much about this problem.

Ruud Wilschut
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?
In reply to dw2001, Aug 22, 2013

dw2001 wrote:

JeanPierre Koenig wrote:

Best,

JP

Bullsh1t, this is EXACTLY what we potential buyers of D600 want to hear, that this problem is real and Nikon is doing nothing about it. Unbelieavalbe!

I will never buy a D600 after hearing so much about this problem.

That's why I'll go for a D800. No doubt the D600 was perfect to me, I think 24MP is more than enough for my needs but I refuse to buy a technically inferior product due to bad design. Ofcourse I can clean the sensor myself, but the fact is, it's not normal to clean it that much out of the box when bought new. Some dust is normal after a certain amount of time, but oil drops certainly NOT.

What if the oil spill stops after -say about- 5000 clicks? Then there is no oil to lubricate the shuttermechanism. Apperently this type shutter needs that much lubrication to function properly. Maybe you'll get a early worn-out shutter which needs expensive repair or replacement - just after the warranty has expired..

I think it's saver to spend a few hundred dollar or euro more to get the proven D800 instead, the larger files taking for granted.

Bing Chow
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?
Re: This is not a correct way to test for dust/oil
In reply to leicaman, Aug 22, 2013

leicaman wrote:

Try this again at F16 with the lens focused at infinity ... Shoot up at a white ceiling with AF OFF and no VR. As the camera is exposing turn the camera so that there is nothing that can appear as sharp in the field. Look at the RAW image.... then you will see what your sensor really looks like.

What shutter speeds should I consider? When you say turn, you mean pan?

gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
In reply to SnappinOutdoors, Aug 22, 2013

ADORAMA refurbs--like any refurb--are a crapshoot.

Earlier this year I went through 2 refurb 14-24mm lenses.  Both needed significant AF adjusting.  However, for a $1500+lens I expect AF to be reasonably close.   Therefore, both went back.

Good luck with getting a satisfactory replacement.

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,537
Like?
Re: This is not a correct way to test for dust/oil
In reply to Bing Chow, Aug 22, 2013

Bing Chow wrote:

leicaman wrote:

Try this again at F16 with the lens focused at infinity ... Shoot up at a white ceiling with AF OFF and no VR. As the camera is exposing turn the camera so that there is nothing that can appear as sharp in the field. Look at the RAW image.... then you will see what your sensor really looks like.

What shutter speeds should I consider? When you say turn, you mean pan?

The longer the shutter speed the better. When I've taken shots trying to find dust I also move the camera so that the lens is constantly tracing a circular or figure-8 pattern. In other words, if there's anything that could possibly be photographed and might be mistaken for dust, it will be blurred into oblivion. I also set the camera to manual focus to insure that the lens is focused at a great distance if I'm shooting indoors. It's focused close if I'm outdoors shooting a cloudless sky or a sky so shrouded in clouds that no blue sky is visible. I'd rather shoot indoors as it makes it easier to get very slow shutter speeds, at least several seconds long.

romebaby
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
In reply to gatorowl, Aug 23, 2013

I just got my refurb D600, shutter count 92, 2 very small spots shooting a wall at f22, s/n 3022xxx.  I also ordered a refurb d7000 for $599 about 3 weeks ago, ~2300 shutter count, 20 or so spots at f22.  D7000 was much worse but in both cases I can't see them without zooming way in or on reg photos and prob never would have checked.  I don't shoot walls and I don't go above f11 so I'll be out enjoying the cam.  Love the viewfinder and the D600 does well with my glasses.

Bing Chow
Like?
Tested again
In reply to leicaman, Aug 23, 2013

F16, no AF, no VR, manual focused at infinity, 6s exposure, pointed up at my ceiling and moved it around. All I did in LR5 is auto WB correction and exported as full sized jpeg

I see one little fiber on the lower right.

If this is the right way to do the test, thanks for the lesson.

EJLC
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: I got the Adorama deal plus my Sony Conspiracy Thoughts.
In reply to Absolutic, Aug 23, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

I think it has something to do with Sony. Again my Canons - never any problems. Olympus m43- never any problems.

Isn't OM-D's sensor from SONY too?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5DAT.HTM

rdhphoto1
Regular MemberPosts: 244Gear list
Like?
NO, shoot..blue sky..@F22.
In reply to Bing Chow, Aug 23, 2013

Enjoy the black blobs.

mrjpack
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
In reply to SnappinOutdoors, Aug 23, 2013

In two days, you could have cleaned the sensor & produced something like this.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52034558

This is why I learned to wet clean & keep shooting instead of spending my time crying that my camera isn't perfectly clean... JMO...

Jim

Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,731Gear list
Like?
Re: I got the Adorama deal plus my Sony Conspiracy Thoughts.
In reply to EJLC, Aug 23, 2013

EJLC wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

I think it has something to do with Sony. Again my Canons - never any problems. Olympus m43- never any problems.

Isn't OM-D's sensor from SONY too?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5DAT.HTM

True, I forgot about it.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Bing Chow
Like?
Re: NO, shoot..blue sky..@F22.
In reply to rdhphoto1, Aug 23, 2013

rdhphoto1 wrote:

Enjoy the black blobs.

I shot the paper @F/22. I shot the ceiling at F16 using the blurring style. Both look quite clean but not perfect. Definitely not spots that would show up in real shots viewed at 100%.

Do you really think blue sky @ F22 is going change that? Maybe. I'll do it.

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,001Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zardoz, Aug 23, 2013

Zardoz wrote:

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

I rolled the dice

Yes, exactly. Nothing comes for free. You exchanged cost for risk. You lost. Quit crying about a completely predictable outcome.

+1,000,000

I wish the mods would delete these threads. Enough of the whining already...

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
vvk
vvk
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
I don't believe that's the case this time
In reply to oklaphotog, Aug 23, 2013

Both shipments I received came in boxes typographically printed with Nikon Refurbished labels. Inside, both body and camera had a note stating they are Nikon Refurbished, serial number, date, etc.

When I had AF problem with the first one I bought, I called Nikon Support. They took my serial number, registered it and confirmed that I have 90 day Nikon Refurbished warranty.

So, no, I don't believe this was a store return resold as "refurbished".

My second D600 works great and the sensor is very clean. Knock on wood.

SnappinOutdoors
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to mrjpack, Aug 23, 2013

Thank you, sir, for the education.  If you had read my posts, you'd know that I already own a D600.  4 Nikon bodies.  I know how to clean sensors.  You missed the point entirely, and I apologize for you wasting your time here.

Cheers

Gemini9691
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to romebaby, Aug 23, 2013

I got mine last night also from this deal.  Both body and kit lens look practically brand new, serial number 304xxxx, exif shows only 8 shutter releases. The firmware version is still 1.00.  The f/22 white wall test revealed a couple of small and barely visible spots near the upper left corner, so the sensor is pretty clean from what I can tell.  Now the bad, this morning I was going to charge the battery and realized the charger is dead, very frustrating. Will make a call to Adorama and hopefully they can just send me a replacement.  Anyhow, I think this does show that Nikon really isn't doing anything to these so-called refurbished units, judging from the old firmware and a defective charger.  Perhaps this kit was returned previously due to the same dead charger, then just got re-packaged shipped right back out the door again?

madecov
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
In reply to SnappinOutdoors, Aug 23, 2013

I think refurb means just re wrap and put in a box. We will really fix it if it comes back. They probably power it up and check function then re package. I doubt they go through the camera at all.
--
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/madecov/Steyrpolice2.jpg
In god we trust, all others are suspects

www.md-lightsource.com

Licensed firearms dealer in Houston, Texas

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads