Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
SnappinOutdoors
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor
11 months ago

This "deal" was mentioned in a previous thread.  Adorama sold about 300 refurbished D600 + 24-85 lens kits for $1599.  Hard to ignore, and I rolled the dice and got one for my wife.  Unfortunately she will never be able to use this camera, as it's going straight back.  Someone made a joke on the other thread about this deal: "yes, I'm sure Nikon has 300 well-oiled machines ready for you", or something to that effect.  You sir, were 100% correct.  Seems the cynical view of Nikon is becoming very appropriate.

First thing I did was take a blank wall shot at f18, and was completely shocked.  Now, I fully expected I'd have a chance at getting a camera that would have "the issue" which we all know and love, that I'd have some FUTURE sensor cleanings.... but here's the thing that burns me more.... what does REFURBISHED mean??  Apparently nothing, because nobody at Nikon ever touched this camera!!! It was obviously simply repackaged and sent back to market.  Disgraceful.  I hope the image got attached... look at that.  A complete debris field of massive proportions.  Never seen a sensor so dirty.  This was marketed and sold to me as a camera that had been inspected by Nikon.  Do you really think so??

I will NOT be going through any ordeal with Nikon to pursue warranty service on this catastrophe of a "deal".  Spending more money and time over a clearly flawed camera.  It's the brazen attitude of Nikon, falsely representing this as a refurbished D600 that makes me wonder why I want to continue supporting them with my hard earned dollars.  The whole sensor issue with the D600 should really be the subject of a class action lawsuit.  They will re-sell cameras that are known to be junk... buyer beware.

polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?
Re: Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor
In reply to SnappinOutdoors, 11 months ago

I sold a lens online a few months ago; the buyer (a D600 owner) claimed he saw dust in all his photos and I immediately sent him a refund. Then I sold the lens in person, giving the next buyer a month to decide and even months later we keep in touch, no dust. I wonder if the first buyer ever realized his camera might have been the problem.

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James JC
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?

Was the box actually labeled refurbished or is it just Adorama reselling returned merchandise?

James JC's gear list:James JC's gear list
Nikon D610
SnappinOutdoors
Like?
In reply to polizonte, 11 months ago

Yep.  He'll be seeing plenty of dust until he cleans that sensor.  The two darker spots near the center of mine are so horrible that I first noticed them when reviewing an image taken at f5.6 with my 300mm f4.  Brand new.  And "refurbished".  Nice.

JeanPierre Koenig
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?

ALL refurbished items come with caveats, be it a camera OR a toaster. So, while I understand your frustration, I think you are going over board with all these silly statements. Don't like it, return the product and buy another brand. Venting is not helpful to us OR you.

Best,

JP

vvk
vvk
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Not the two I bought

I bought two of these and both came with clear sensors that stayed clear after thousands of shots.

First one had malfunctioning AF in LV, though. It was easy to return, no out of pocket for me.

You may want to try another one.

SnappinOutdoors
Like?
In reply to James JC, 11 months ago

Yeah, man... Nikon refurbished box, complete with statement from Nikon about refurbed items, re-conditioned to "like new"............... ha.  ha.

SnappinOutdoors
Like?
Re: Not the two I bought
In reply to vvk, 11 months ago

Glad to hear it, vvk.  Wish I had been as fortunate.  What I'm trying to insinuate is the weirdness of this refurbished "batch of 300" that Adorama only sold on Ebay.  Makes one wonder.

SnappinOutdoors
Like?
In reply to JeanPierre Koenig, 11 months ago

Yes, Jean Pierre.  "best" to you as well.  The reason for my bringing this issue to light is that this deal was the subject of a recent post, and I would like for others who bought cameras from this batch to be sure they check the sensor.  I know several people from this website that purchased these in the past week from Adorama's Ebay special.  I deeply apologize for offending YOU.

Henrik 1963
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?

I have had my D800 for little over a year now. I found out my sensor was dirty. I found out because I took some night shots at F22. It was oil/grease or some other lubricant. I got the sensor cleaned by a pro. Now all is good.

I´m still a very happy D800 owner. It is a pain in the xxx for sure. But it does not prevent me from taking the pictures I want. The spots may have been there all the time. But they never showed up in my pictures before.

Get the sensor cleaned by someone who knows what they are doing.

It is a great camera

For me it is better to have a well designed camera with a small problem than to have a poorly designed camera with no problems

All the best

SnappinOutdoors
Like?
In reply to Henrik 1963, 11 months ago

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I own several Nikon bodies, and clean my own sensor when needed.  Hasn't been much necessary.  The D600 is a little different, as has been well documented... which is why the market is now flooded with "refurbs".  What I'm getting at is the definition of what is said to go into a refurbished product.  "Inspected by Nikon and returned to original specs."  What I received was not inspected by anyone, and may in fact have the defective shutter blades that endlessly shed debris onto the sensor.  Why was it simply repackaged by Nikon and sold as if all was good?  Anyway.... I will attempt an exchange.  Luck of the draw perhaps, but I personally think this D600 issue has overwhelmed Nikon. Smacks of flailing about, with no real resolution for the early examples of this camera that were defective.  They just want as many as possible sold to people who won't ever notice the problem.

Radu Tenenbaum
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849Gear list
Like?
No problem with recent D800 refurb

I picked up a D800 Nikon refurb on eBay recently.  No problems.  Shutter count was low and it did not have the D800 left focus issue.

It's possible that you got one that slipped through the system.  The D600 oil issue and the D800 left focus issue both demonstrate that Nikon's QA has room for improvement.

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

Radu Tenenbaum's gear list:Radu Tenenbaum's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +17 more
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

I rolled the dice

Yes, exactly.  Nothing comes for free.  You exchanged cost for risk.  You lost.  Quit crying about a completely predictable outcome.

SnappinOutdoors
Like?
Re: No problem with recent D800 refurb
In reply to Radu Tenenbaum, 11 months ago

Thank you, Radu!  You get it :).  Glad your deal worked out.  Yes, serious QC issues.

SnappinOutdoors
Like?
Re: hey, little teddy bear
In reply to Zardoz, 11 months ago

Radoz, you cute little devil.  Don't tell me what to do.... this is the US of A, I shall discuss what I like.  And if you think this outcome is to be expected, from a REFURBISHED Nikon, then that sure doesn't say much for Nikon.  Go play with your dolls.

vvk
vvk
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
I agree

I agree with you. I think Nikon should be paying more attention to these. Reputation is hard to win and easy to lose.

If you still want a D600, you should really try another one. Adorama pays for return shipping if there is a problem.

Also, I hope you have their VIP Extended Warranty plan. It is only $8 for a year.

SnappinOutdoors
Like?
Re: I agree
In reply to vvk, 11 months ago

I will definitely try an exchange.  I know it's an exceptional camera when you get hold of a good copy.  I'm not concerned about the fanboys... I own more Nikon gear than most on these forums.  Just not willing to overlook when these companies start operating in ways that treat good faith and the CUSTOMER as inconveniences.  You're right, once that trust is lost, it's all over.  Seems they did better on QC with the D7100... hope that is the new normal.

TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
Re: I see the deal is back on?

Perhaps the returns are being recycled? Thanks for the warning.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +1 more
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,938Gear list
Like?

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

Yeah, man... Nikon refurbished box, complete with statement from Nikon about refurbed items, re-conditioned to "like new"............... ha. ha.

... and you're issue is? Wouldn't "like new" imply that it should have the sensor issue?

Seriously though I can see your frustration, we all want our sensors to be pristine. Mine never seem to stay that way when I change a couple lenses though.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Nikon D3S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
SnappinOutdoors
Like?
Re: I see the deal is back on?
In reply to TOR8472, 11 months ago

Hey, so it is!  Cranking them out again.  Truly amazing, the inventory of "refurbished" D600's.  Maybe the same kit will be selling for $1200 in a few months, haha.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads