I own the 17mm 1.8, what's the next best lens you can't live without?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Alexis D
Regular MemberPosts: 381
Like?
Re: I own the 17mm 1.8, what's the next best lens you can't live without?
In reply to secretworld, 8 months ago

If you like a lens because it has great DOF for ease of focusing, then the 12mm even better. DOF properties does not depend on or determine quality of a lens.

The 12mm is also sharper than the 17mm f/1.8, which again shows the mediocrity of that lens since it is harder to make a good quality lens as for a 12mm than a 17mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deleted-13120401
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to secretworld, 8 months ago

Focussing is super easy on my copy. Set to 2mm before infinity and everything from 1m or even closer is sharp (do a few test shots). Enter it in DOF calculator and you will see why. On one photo shoot, an emotionally important one I accidentally set focus closer (maybe 8mmfrom infinity) and landscapes still came out 100% sharp. It´s a great macro lens too, then you need to really focus, but even then DOF is deep and it is easy to do. If you go really close even the bokeh is nice.

No the horizon is not tilted, it is the slope of a mountain..

CA should have been corrected, but was one of the first shots I took with it, on the way back home from shop....

Thanks. Very informative. Great examples. Will have to think about this carefully. Maybe find somewhere to try one!

NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996Gear list
Like?
Re: I own eight lenses and I couldn't do without the ... (pix)
In reply to george4908, 8 months ago

george4908 wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

/

You should shoot with the 45 more often -- that's a lovely portrait.

thanks, mate.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
Silvernitrate
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 8 months ago

I don`t own the 17mm f1.8, It is on my wish list along with the Olympus 12mm.

These are the lenses I could not live without.

For now I make do with the Sigma 19mm as my standard prime.

The Panasonic 14mm as my wide prime.

And the Olympus 45mm as my short telephoto prime.

We are quite lucky because I don`t believe there is a single bad M4/3 prime, there all very capable.

NZ Scott
Like?
17 is better than the 12
In reply to Alexis D, 8 months ago

Alexis D wrote:

If you like a lens because it has great DOF for ease of focusing, then the 12mm even better. DOF properties does not depend on or determine quality of a lens.

The 12mm is also sharper than the 17mm f/1.8, which again shows the mediocrity of that lens since it is harder to make a good quality lens as for a 12mm than a 17mm.

I disagree with this statement. I own both the 17/1.8 and 12/2.0, and I consider the 17 to be the better lens of the two.

S

-- hide signature --
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
NZ Scott
Like?
So, in other words, you'll never buy a prime
In reply to Alexis D, 8 months ago

Alexis D wrote:

grey0135 wrote:

Have you ever shot the 17mm Oly?

No, I only try something when I want to buy it. In this case, I have not bothered.

The limitations are there, but they're massively overstated and are only a real issue if your primary use for the 17mm is shooting landscape shots. And if you're really that concerned about IQ, you wouldn't be shooting with the 12-50, which is a far inferior lens.

I am really concerned with IQ if I have to spend so much money on a prime lens. A prime is a huge sacrifice (in terms of the FL range and cost, compared to zooms) and is justified if it has superior speed, resolution and/or other optical qualities. In this case, as explained already, this 17mm f/1.8 only has speed and flare control but nothing much, e.g. in terms of sharpness, distortion, vignetting, CA, or bokeh (all fairly ordinary for a prime and an expensive one). I trust the detailed tests in Lenstip and Photozone.

Quite a few reviewers have praised the 17/1.8 for image quality, focusing speed and hyperfocal qualities. In my own case, the 17/1.8 is one of the most useful in my kit.

As for the 12-50mm, it is indispensible for its versatility, which is in many situations more important than IQ, e.g. for travel shots, outdoor parties, etc. It is a far inferior lens in terms of IQ when compared to the 17mm f/1.8, but it superior in numerous situations it when you need to shoot monuments, coins, tight head shots, in wet weather or cannot change lenses, etc.

By the time you can change to a 37mm lens (assuming you find one), the shot may be gone. And, if you have to shoot with your 17mm to get that shot (and crop to get the correct frame and subject size), the 12-50mm would be definitely much sharper. What's the use of a superior lens if it cannot get the picture? The butterfly is already gone when you can change to your macro lens, so is the 17mm so indispensible?

So, in other words, you'll never buy a prime.

You're effectively saying that primes are no good because they only cover one focal length. We all know that already. We use primes because they are nice and bright. Try getting a decent street shot out of your 12-50 in a busy Asian market at twilight. F5.6 aint gonna cut it.

Sure, the test charts show that the 17mm is slightly soft in the corners when you shoot wide open,

Look at the Lenstip chart, it is very average all the way to diffraction point, both in the centre and edge. Just compare it with other primes.

Yes, Lenstip doesn't like the lens. Plenty of other reviewers do like the lens.

but I've never had any issue with real world photos. When I shoot this lens wide open, I'm usually photographing people (especially in the evenings). The corners, for such photos, are out of focus anyhow, so not an issue.

Good for you. It is good for others to know that this lens is just so-so in terms of resolution, and as explained about the same as what you can get in the Panasonic zoom.

This lens is especially great at night. It's allows me to travel light with the E-P5. It can quickly focus in the dimmest of settings, such as at restaurants or bars. In fact, after trying the E-P5 with the 17mm for several weeks (I got them as a package, along with the VF4), I ended up returning my Fuji X100S, which I had owned for several weeks. Although the Fuji has better high ISO performance, I actually found myself getting better pictures with the E-P5 and the 17mm because that combination focused so quickly and easily. And thanks to the fast aperture and IBIS, I never had to go above ISO 1600.

Don't get me wrong; the 17mm has its weaknesses, but the weaknesses are only apparent if shoot lots of landscapes or interiors at 1.8 (with focus on infinity), and even then, I found that the slight softness did not manifest itself in actual prints.

Good for you. Some of us need to crop, to PP and enlarge, in which case more resolution will be important.

One other bit of advice: if you use the snap back feature and want to focus at infinity, turn the ring so that it's just a little short of infinity. On my lens at least, if you put it at infinity, it will focus past infinity, and you'll end up with soft pictures.

In short, the 17mm is a great travel companion. I use the 12-35mm during the day, and the 17mm or 25mm at night. I've gotten some of my favorite images with the PL 25mm, but if I'm in cramped quarters, I prefer the 17mm.

Thanks, but no thanks.

-- hide signature --
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,507
Like?

Just ordered a like new 45mm on amazon for $300!

NZ Scott
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Just ordered a like new 45mm on amazon for $300!

That's a good price for a fine lens, bro.

Well done.

S

-- hide signature --
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,113Gear list
Like?

Panny 35-100 f2.8

It's a great lens plus unlike the Canon 70-200 f2.8 this one you can carry all day...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +23 more
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,556Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 7 months ago

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I have plenty of lenses for my 5D Mark III, but I was thinking of getting just one more lens for my Olympus EP5 kit. The 17mm is awesome. I was thinking maybe a 45mm 1.8 or a 75-300.

Do I need it, NO! Still, thought maybe one more lens for my kit and then call it quits (LOL, yeah right, but no seriously).

Lumix 20mm, it's comparable to the 17mm, slower AF but it's more portable.

Not sure what would happen if I owned the 17mm as well.

The next two lenses I can't live without are the Lumix 14mm (small, fast AF, quiet) and the Zuiko 45mm (sharp, fast, quiet).

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
Elix
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
Re: the PL25 is nice
In reply to yonsito, 7 months ago

Agree!

Elix's gear list:Elix's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
sigma 30mm f2.8 DN Art

I just got that lens for my E-PM1 body. Its jjust damn ! Crazy !! (well I´ve just upgraded from an Olympus XZ-1 compact !)

I used to use F1.8 lens on XZ-1, (apart from super macros ) the backround blur just unbelieveable. Perfectly seperating the subject, but as I mentioned If its a supermacro in some different conditions with XZ-1 , backround blur is better there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benokan/9108773974/in/photostream/

I was surfiing between 19mm and 30mm...but then I choose 30mm, I still think that I´ll someday will buy a lens that would cover 8-25 mm (16-50mm for full frame) hence I go for 30 mm (60 mm equv.)

Thanks to check

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,332
Like?

I think the best lens I have is the Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8. While the best bargain, in terms of value for money, is the Samyang/Rokinon 7,5mm fisheye lens.

Compact, classic lenses like the Lumix G 14mm and 20mm pancakes are fun and good. The 14mm lens is generally under appreciated online, in my opinion. It is a gem.

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
In reply to fr3d33, 7 months ago

fr3d33 wrote:

75mm 1.8!!

M43 is renowned for it's PRIMES, I would stay away from zooms due to how well PRIMES shoot and how well they travel on vacations. Along with the 12mm 2, I own the 25mm 1.4, 45mm 1.8, and 75mm 1.8, plus the 'never used' kit zoom. My two lens combo is the 12mm and 75mm for walking around, and I would recommend the 75mm because it is viciously phenomenal (I have a blast opening up shots taken with it in Adobe Lightroom, only to think... hmm not much to fix here!).

It's very sharp and shoots beautifully. No need to believe me, just look at reviews. If it were me buying (and I'm a hobbyist), the 17mm paired with the 75mm would cover a lot of what I would want to shoot and would make the shooting experience really fun. I would enjoy the Canon as a workhorse and get big, heavy zooms for that, and have the complimenting m43 system there for fun and light travel. I will probably get the 17mm 1.8 eventually because I love the push/pull feature on my 12mm, but I'm pretty content with my current lineup right now. Have fun shopping!!

So do you compose with your feet primarily or do a fair amount of cropping in Lightroom after the fact. I often find myself in situations where the only way to get the composition I want it by use of my zoom.

I currently have a FZ200 with a 25mm to 600mm (35mm) zoom.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
fr3d33
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 5 months ago

Depends on the shot, if it needs to be cropped so be it.  Most of the time I slap a prime on and get my mindset to work with the focal length and not against it.

duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,422Gear list
Like?
In reply to deleted-13120401, 5 months ago

hoosh wrote:

Can I ask a question - I know DOF is super deep with the lens, but has focusing it ever been at all a challenge for you? Any tips?

Not really except for lower light @F3.5 and close up shots. That's basically the only way to get OOF shots. Once in a while I set it up for some closer focusing (people up close around a dinner table) and I forget to go back to hyperfocal.

But it's rare. I'd say that going hyperfocal at F5.6 it's close to impossible to get OOF pictures unless the subject is in your nose...

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads