I own the 17mm 1.8, what's the next best lens you can't live without?

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Questions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654
Like?
I own the 17mm 1.8, what's the next best lens you can't live without?
Aug 20, 2013

I have plenty of lenses for my 5D Mark III, but I was thinking of getting just one more lens for my Olympus EP5 kit.  The 17mm is awesome.  I was thinking maybe a 45mm 1.8 or a 75-300.

Do I need it, NO!  Still, thought maybe one more lens for my kit and then call it quits (LOL, yeah right, but no seriously).

marlof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
Re: I own the 17mm 1.8, what's the next best lens you can't live without?
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Aug 20, 2013

Next to that 17 I have the Olympus 12, the Panasonic 25, the Olympus 45, the Olympus 12-50 and the Olympus 75-300II. I use them all on a regular basis. Considering their different focal length and purposes, choosing one wouldn't mean I could do without the other. That said, the 17 and 45 makes for a nice small combo. The 45 is a very good lens and you can't fault it for its price. So if you think you'd like to shoot that focal length, my vote would be for the 45. At first...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,487
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I have plenty of lenses for my 5D Mark III, but I was thinking of getting just one more lens for my Olympus EP5 kit. The 17mm is awesome. I was thinking maybe a 45mm 1.8 or a 75-300.

Do I need it, NO! Still, thought maybe one more lens for my kit and then call it quits (LOL, yeah right, but no seriously).

If you want an inexpensive combination, go for the 45mm f1.8 and the 40-150mm lens, remembering that this is an 80-300mm zoom on FF.  Both have excellent IQ way beyond what one would expect for the price.

Silvernitrate
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to Landscapephoto99, Aug 20, 2013

The 45mm and the 14mm, both are fairly cheap.

Alexis D
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?

I supposed it is a "best" lens for you because it is the only M43 lens you have.

I don't own it but I have wanted to buy it many times, as I really need this FL. However I stopped myself every time, because this lens seems very ordinary. Both Lenstip and Photozone both said the 17mm f/1.8 is quite ordinary as a prime in its resolution ("just decent"), distortion ("extreme"), vignetting ("huge"), CA ("medium") and bokeh("not big calibre"), especially since it is not cheap. The 12-35mm zoom is said to match or beat it in sharpness at that particular FL. It is excellent in AF, flare control and build, that's about it. While there are other reviews that are more positive about this lens' worth, I trust Lenstip and Photozone more.  So, I managed to live without it thus far.

The best lens I can't live without is the 12-50mm. By expecting less IQ (due to the lens quality and the need to use higher ISO more often), I have something that can go with me anywhere and be ready for just about any situation, rain, wind, wide scenes, portraits, macro shots, video, quick shots of things near and far (no time to change lenses) etc. Of course I use sharper lenses for specific and planned situations too, but this lens makes the difference of getting that picture or not.

fr3d33
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?

75mm 1.8!!

M43 is renowned for it's PRIMES, I would stay away from zooms due to how well PRIMES shoot and how well they travel on vacations.  Along with the 12mm 2, I own the 25mm 1.4, 45mm 1.8, and 75mm 1.8, plus the 'never used' kit zoom.  My two lens combo is the 12mm and 75mm for walking around, and I would recommend the 75mm because it is viciously phenomenal (I have a blast opening up shots taken with it in Adobe Lightroom, only to think... hmm not much to fix here!).

It's very sharp and shoots beautifully.  No need to believe me, just look at reviews.  If it were me buying (and I'm a hobbyist), the  17mm paired with the 75mm would cover a lot of what I would want to shoot and would make the shooting experience really fun.  I would enjoy the Canon as a workhorse and get big, heavy zooms for that, and have the complimenting m43 system there for fun and light travel. I will probably get the 17mm 1.8 eventually because I love the push/pull feature on my 12mm, but I'm pretty content with my current lineup right now.  Have fun shopping!!

Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I have plenty of lenses for my 5D Mark III, but I was thinking of getting just one more lens for my Olympus EP5 kit. The 17mm is awesome. I was thinking maybe a 45mm 1.8 or a 75-300.

Do I need it, NO! Still, thought maybe one more lens for my kit and then call it quits (LOL, yeah right, but no seriously).

I've got the 17/1.8, the 45/1.8, and the 75/1.8.   I'd hate to give any of them up.

But if I had to choose between the very versatile focal length of the 45, and the brilliant 75, I think the 45 is just too useful in too many situations to do without.

Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?

Depends on what sort of pictures you want to take.

I also have the 17mm 1.8 and love the 45mm 1.8 for portraits of the baby and family.

For someone else it might be an ultra-wide zoom or a telephoto.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Kweide
Senior MemberPosts: 1,703Gear list
Like?

You should think :

Summilux 25mm f1.4
M.Zuiko 45 mm f1.8
M.Zuiko75 mm f1.8
an for the street work:
M.Zuiko 12 mm

-- hide signature --

More of my work can be see her: ( some NSFW )
http://www.klaweide.de/

Kweide's gear list:Kweide's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +14 more
Sudo Nimh
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
45mm/1.8

You have the moderate wide lens, so next you need the moderate long lens. I never hear anyone complain about the 45mm/1.8. The 45 and the 17 together would give you a fast, small, lightweight kit with great image quality.

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,538Gear list
Like?
Re: As others have said, 45 f1.8 - it's more versatile than you think

Get the 45mm f1.8.  Go out, take the portraits it''s designed for, but also just take photos of the same things you snap with your 17mm, sometimes getting closer, sometimes standing further back.  Made as many judgement errors, with respect to DoF, as you can :).

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,613Gear list
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I was thinking maybe a 45mm 1.8 or a 75-300.

Those two are not really comparable. What are you going to use it for?

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Lawrence W
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?

Really depend on what do you like to shoot.

I always mount the 9-18 on a body, and the other could be 45 (for portrait) or 100-300 for wildlife photography which I like a lot. Wish there is an AF 300 or 400 prime though.

Lawrence W's gear list:Lawrence W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon D7100 +9 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,312Gear list
Like?
You should probably get the 75-300.

I could live without it and it is my least used lens. But given that you have the 5DIII with lenses the 75-300 will give you 150-600mm equivalent range, which you cannot get for the 5DIII at any reasonable price.

Any other lens you might want really depends on which lenses you have for the 5DIII and whether you carry both cameras or want to be able to just use m43.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
fikcyjny
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?

OLYMPUS 75mm f/1.8

1) the best optical quality in micro43 system

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Best-lenses-for-your-Olympus-OMD-E-M5-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH3/Best-performing-prime-lenses-for-the-OM-D-E-M5-and-GH3

2) thin DOF (if you need) and beautiful bookeh

3) good for portreit, and for sports, tele prime (eqiv. 150mm)

4) good for macro (with Raynox 250)

I'm waiting for teleconventer x2 to get 150/3.5 with this lens.

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,448
Like?
In reply to fikcyjny, Aug 20, 2013

12-35, 35-100, 100-300...you're set...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,730Gear list
Like?

If you've found 1.8/17 lens awesome, you need second lens with similar awesome  features. I'd recommend you to take a close look into lenses for LOMOgaraphy. They are cheap and notoriously  awesome in terms of distortion.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,500Gear list
Like?

Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye.

You asked, I answered. IMHO this is clearly the most underrated lens in the whole m43 system. Nobody talks about it but once you own it, you'll be hard pressed to take it off the camera.

Great build, good operation and above all incredible image quality. Amazing FUN!

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
jpark1982
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

45 or 25 for the extra 1.4.

secretworld
Contributing MemberPosts: 973Gear list
Like?
In reply to duartix, Aug 20, 2013

duartix wrote:

Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye.

You asked, I answered. IMHO this is clearly the most underrated lens in the whole m43 system. Nobody talks about it but once you own it, you'll be hard pressed to take it off the camera.

Great build, good operation and above all incredible image quality. Amazing FUN!

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

Yeah that one or 45mm f1.8. I use the Samyang much more. My 17mm is the pana 20mm f1.8. It is on my PM2 95% of the time.

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads