Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Polls
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,358
Like?
Re: Yeah, but...
In reply to Great Bustard, Aug 21, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Private Custard wrote:

.....his is bland. It's a grey sweater, a beige wall, a bowl of plain pasta.

You're looks about as amateur as it gets. Waaaay over-processed.

You think that's over-processed?

Only 'normal' PP tools used, levels adjust, hue adjust, saturation increased, contrast enhanced and sharpened. Maybe a bit overdone?

Place a pretty naked girl exposing her breasts behind the window and you have got a nice photo.

Carsten was fortunate enough to shoot it somewhere where that kind of person didn't keep on getting in shot and spoiling it.

...he got lucky I wasn't there.

I remember walking by a model shoot on the beach and saying to the photographer, "I'll model for half what you're paying her." He said that she was paying him. "How much would I have to pay you?" I didn't realize professional photographers made that kind of money.

A real professional would have taken your money and made even more by selling the shots. There's always a market for the grotesque.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: Both are terrible
In reply to Dougbm_2, Aug 21, 2013

Both are terribly unnatural and I would consider neither anywhere near professional. Not that I am the worlds best photographer by any means but either of those would be erased in my computer.

Greg

justinwonnacott
Regular MemberPosts: 499
Like?
A tasteful suggestion
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Aug 21, 2013

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,042
Like?
Your suspicion is not only warranted ...
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 21, 2013

papillon_65 wrote:

that Carsten Krieger's subtlety is lost on you, a clash of styles. Having looked at his images I like his subtle and clever compositions, they make a change from a lot of the garish landscapes that are in vogue these days, and as he makes a living from it, I'm guessing I'm not alone on that one. That you don't see it is fine but don't make it your mission to "educate" everyone else to feel the same, not unless you're prepared to put your own work alongside his and show us why yours is better (and I mean your own, not his edited by you).

I'm surprised that he's gotten so many bites. Paraphrasing, "Don't feed the Tal".

TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,112
Like?
Re: I'm not sure about whose grammar is better...
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 21, 2013

papillon_65 wrote:

TheEye wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

TheEye wrote:

...or worse.

As long as you have something meaningful to contribute and haven't veered wildly off-topic, kids off school at the moment and feeling bored teach?

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

You have to insert an "are" and a comma into your post! This not to say your post wasn't a meaningful contribution or a sign of being bored yourself, Mr Butterfly.

Thanks, but when I want my posts marked for grammar and spelling I'll let you know.

Oh, I thought you were provoking me on purpose.

You must be very busy because mine is pretty literate compared to a lot of what gets posted on here.

My mistake was that I accidentally replied to your post, because I apparently had clicked it to read what you had to say. Then I forgot to go back to the OP's post. Clear as broth? Your mistake was that you didn't realize that, but I can see why you didn't realize it.

The topic interested me, if I'm bored I just stop reading and move on, is there any chance you could do the same or maybe contribute "on-topic" Mr literacy?.....

I'm sure the OP wouldn't like what I have to say, so I decided to not comment at all, and to jokingly focus on his grammar error instead. I fact, I found his grammar error more worth of pointing out than what he did to the image in question!

Mr Butterfly, why so serious?

-- hide signature --

Tony

Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: Honestly....
In reply to bobn2, Aug 21, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

Private Custard wrote:

.....his is bland. It's a grey sweater, a beige wall, a bowl of plain pasta.

You're looks about as amateur as it gets. Waaaay over-processed.

You think that's over-processed?

Maybe it's a bit over the top. If nothing else, then this thread has at least shown that it's perfectly possible to (post) process a JPEG image.

Only 'normal' PP tools used, levels adjust, hue adjust, saturation increased, contrast enhanced and sharpened. Maybe a bit overdone?

-- hide signature --

Bob

kcdogger
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?
Re: Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 21, 2013

Both bad.  Second one is overcooked.

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony SLT-A57 +2 more
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
In reply to MPrince, Aug 22, 2013

MPrince wrote:

I dislike both. To me, the original is bland and boring, but your edit is so hideous it would make a blind man lose his lunch.

I had been gone for a while and thought the forums were getting more civil.  This thread proves they have not.  Proper criticism or opinions of taste are one thing.  The kind of stuff that's gone on in this thread is nasty.

-- hide signature --

Judy

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +7 more
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
Re: Honestly....
In reply to Steen Bay, Aug 22, 2013

Steen Bay wrote:

Maybe it's a bit over the top. If nothing else, then this thread has at least shown that it's perfectly possible to (post) process a JPEG image.

Love the comment! Yep, sure looks like proof to me!  (I edit jpgs all the time, even, GASP, white balance!).

-- hide signature --

Bob

-- hide signature --

Judy

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +7 more
meanwhile
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
In reply to JudyN, Aug 22, 2013

Looking back at the full size original ...

http://2.static.img-dpreview.com/files/t/TS1600x1600~d5e029272bfc4744ab107671a05c2538

I really like the subtlety of it. It has a lovely tone, and the palette is pleasing. It does have some evidence of halos from the HDR, which is distracting, and there are issues with the composition (as discussed ad infinitum in this thread), but it's a much more pleasing image to me than any of the reprocessed shots in this thread. YMMV.

meanwhile's gear list:meanwhile's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +5 more
MPrince
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034
Like?

JudyN wrote:

MPrince wrote:

I dislike both. To me, the original is bland and boring, but your edit is so hideous it would make a blind man lose his lunch.

I had been gone for a while and thought the forums were getting more civil. This thread proves they have not. Proper criticism or opinions of taste are one thing. The kind of stuff that's gone on in this thread is nasty.

-- hide signature --

Judy

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,514
Like?

JudyN wrote:

MPrince wrote:

I had been gone for a while and thought the forums were getting more civil. This thread proves they have not. Proper criticism or opinions of taste are one thing. The kind of stuff that's gone on in this thread is nasty.

-- hide signature --

Judy

Welcome back to The Mean Streets of DPR.  You got to be Internet Tough to survive here.  May the best toughest poster who lives in his mother's basement survive!

bgD300
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,552Gear list
Like?
looks to me like ...
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 22, 2013

He stood too close with a WA lens and had the camera tilted upward  and you completely over-processed the product of those distortions.

The building might make an interesting foreground feature in a landscape but is mundane on it's own.

-- hide signature --

EXIF is embedded in photos
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.wordpress.com
My camera club porfolio: http://www.pacameraclub.com/Member.Galleries/Brian_20Grant/index.html
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611
WSSA #51 as bg5700

bgD300's gear list:bgD300's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +16 more
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,935Gear list
Like?
The 2nd image bl0ws goats

That 2nd image is garish.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Couscousdelight
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Re: The 2nd image bl0ws goats
In reply to liquid stereo, Aug 22, 2013

for both shots, i don't understand why HDR was needed for such low contrast photography.

Regards,

Arno

Couscousdelight's gear list:Couscousdelight's gear list
Pentax K-5 +1 more
Diopter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773
Like?
Ask Leonid, Tuotong, Sergey or Philippe

As many of the predecessors said : None

- the first one mistakes lack of contrast and unhealthy hues for the mood

- the other one is coming from the firm believe that the "auto" button in the Photoshop’s Curves window makes the justice.

We should ask super-masters of the modern photography such as Maximishin, Pache, Singapore or Tugalev how this scene should look like.

Probably they would start from repositioning of the camera.

(-)

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,958Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm not sure about whose grammar is better...
In reply to TheEye, Aug 22, 2013

TheEye wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

TheEye wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

TheEye wrote:

...or worse.

As long as you have something meaningful to contribute and haven't veered wildly off-topic, kids off school at the moment and feeling bored teach?

-- hide signature --

Tony

You have to insert an "are" and a comma into your post! This not to say your post wasn't a meaningful contribution or a sign of being bored yourself, Mr Butterfly.

Thanks, but when I want my posts marked for grammar and spelling I'll let you know.

Oh, I thought you were provoking me on purpose.

Well your original post was to me so I kind of thought it was the other way around?

You must be very busy because mine is pretty literate compared to a lot of what gets posted on here.

My mistake was that I accidentally replied to your post, because I apparently had clicked it to read what you had to say. Then I forgot to go back to the OP's post. Clear as broth? Your mistake was that you didn't realize that, but I can see why you didn't realize it.

Glad we sorted that out.

The topic interested me, if I'm bored I just stop reading and move on, is there any chance you could do the same or maybe contribute "on-topic" Mr literacy?.....

I'm sure the OP wouldn't like what I have to say, so I decided to not comment at all, and to jokingly focus on his grammar error instead. I fact, I found his grammar error more worth of pointing out than what he did to the image in question!

Fair enough

Mr Butterfly, why so serious?

Please don't confuse me with someone who's serious, people will start to talk

-- hide signature --

Tony

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,035Gear list
Like?
Misunderstanding?
In reply to RobertSigmund, Aug 22, 2013

RobertSigmund wrote:

I am afraid there is a misunderstanding. You did not even get one compliment in this thread.

Misunderstanding? Yes, very likely. You see, he is not looking for compliments.

He is looking for attention.

And he is getting plenty of that...

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM +8 more
Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,035Gear list
Like?
As he sets the tone, so he is answered.

JudyN wrote:

MPrince wrote:

He is getting exactly the reaction he wanted.

Mikhail is a troll, pure and simple. As he sets the tone, so he is answered.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM +8 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,997
Like?

JudyN wrote:

MPrince wrote:

-- hide signature --

Judy

Judy, I think any original politeness has died out because of the attitude of the OP.

If it weren't for that I would totally agree with you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads