Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Polls
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,029Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm not sure about whose grammar is better...
In reply to TheEye, Aug 21, 2013

TheEye wrote:

...or worse.

As long as you have something meaningful to contribute and haven't veered wildly off-topic, kids off school at the moment and feeling bored teach?

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

 papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RobertSigmund
Forum ProPosts: 10,052Gear list
Like?
Re: Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?
In reply to phaedin, Aug 21, 2013

phaedin wrote:

Since you like bombastic images. I will give you a bombastic critique.
IT'S HORRIBLE. The post processing is so bad it makes my eyes bleed. You have totally lost the original intent of the image and ..... Sorry what was I talking about? I've forgotten

Not one poster here likes Mikhail's version, yet he takes this as a compliment. Maybe he sees himself as Nietzsche of van Gogh - both had no success during their lifetimes, their great impact came afterwards.

 RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,132Gear list
Like?
Both qualify as unmitigated desasters
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 21, 2013

Mikhail Tal wrote:

DPR published an article showing some images taken by Carsten Krieger in bad weather that they deemed "great photography."

Both are examples why certain people should stay clear of photography. They both look truly horrible! But your example of over the top editing takes the biscuit for being worse still. Which proves, even from a very bad start you can do worse...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?
Both are bad; yours is worse. *nt*
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 21, 2013
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mikhail Tal
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?
In reply to RobertSigmund, Aug 21, 2013

RobertSigmund wrote:

phaedin wrote:

Since you like bombastic images. I will give you a bombastic critique.
IT'S HORRIBLE. The post processing is so bad it makes my eyes bleed. You have totally lost the original intent of the image and ..... Sorry what was I talking about? I've forgotten

Not one poster here likes Mikhail's version, yet he takes this as a compliment. Maybe he sees himself as Nietzsche of van Gogh - both had no success during their lifetimes, their great impact came afterwards.

Wrong, 13 posters voted my version to be the best.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Mine!!
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 21, 2013

I can't resist having a play with sick images. I've tried to dial back some of the tone map damage and then express the mood I think may have been present in the original (which is obviously just a guess).

Here's what I settled on:

-Najinsky

Mikhail Tal wrote:

DPR published an article showing some images taken by Carsten Krieger in bad weather that they deemed "great photography." I say the photographs were generally terrible because they looked exactly like any other amateur snapshots taken in bad weather: underexposed, poorly lit, and sorely lacking in contrast and saturation. Here is an example from the article, including Krieger's own caption:

Digital technology has made capturing good images in bad weather much easier. To the naked eye the sky in this scene was a bland grey. Using the HDR technique and applying a digital tonal contrast filter brought out detail and colour.Canon EOS 5D Mark III, 24mm TS-E, F14, 1/13 sec, HDR (+/- 3 stops), tripod.

Notice how out of touch with reality this guy is. He's acting like this is some great image when in fact it is terribly bland regardless of what he did to it. He used about $5k worth of gear and claimed to use fancy processing, yet he's still produced something that looks like an amateur snap. All he had to do was look at the image histogram to see how poorly exposed it is, making a mockery of the term high dynamic range.

To back up my scathing criticism of his inferior work, I snagged the low-res image he posted in the article and spent about two minutes making some really simple edits in ACR to produce something that actually looks like a legitimate professional photograph:

What do you know, an image that actually has some legitimate dynamic range and color in it. Again, this isn't a brag by any means, it's a trivial adjustment that anybody with even a basic knowledge of ACR could have made. I am calling out Carsten Krieger - and DPR - because they have posted several articles by him and I find his photography to be grossly overrated for reasons such as what I have pointed out here. Just another overgeared rich guy who thinks his photos are professional just because he threw an HDR process on that he doesn't even know how to use correctly.

So please vote for whose image you prefer and explain why.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
And some brushed adjustments
In reply to Najinsky, Aug 21, 2013

And here's a second version with some brushed adjustments to 'fix' the unnaturally dark chimney stack:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
BOTH images are HIS...the difference is the original doesn't look like a cartoon.
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 21, 2013

BOTH images are Krieger's.  Swiping someone's image and spending two minutes applying a cartoonish, over-saturated HDR actions to it, doesn't mean it's all of the sudden YOURS.

Second, his image is for an article on "Poor Weather Photography", not "Bright Sunny Day Photography".  It's about context.  If he wanted to make a grey day looking like a bright sunny beach day he could have done that.

Whether you think it's underexposed or not, interesting compositionally or not, doesn't give you the right to create a poll critical of the guy's photography.

When you have examples of own work, images in YOUR gallery, you will then have every right to post them, ask for C&C, discuss various edits, etc.

If DPR has an article in the future featuring some of your images, you'd be furious if someone started a Poll about how poor they are.  Frankly you sound a bit jealous that DPR selected someone else's work for an article.  If you are so convinced that you could do better work, go for it.  Nobody is stopping you.

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dedcakes
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: And some brushed adjustments
In reply to Najinsky, Aug 21, 2013

Okay, yours is better than the OP's awful attempt.

 Dedcakes's gear list:Dedcakes's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm FinePix X100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neurad1
Contributing MemberPosts: 985Gear list
Like?
Re: BOTH images are HIS...the difference is the original doesn't look like a cartoon.
In reply to marike6, Aug 21, 2013

marike6 wrote:

BOTH images are Krieger's. Swiping someone's image and spending two minutes applying a cartoonish, over-saturated HDR actions to it, doesn't mean it's all of the sudden YOURS.

Second, his image is for an article on "Poor Weather Photography", not "Bright Sunny Day Photography". It's about context. If he wanted to make a grey day looking like a bright sunny beach day he could have done that.

Whether you think it's underexposed or not, interesting compositionally or not, doesn't give you the right to create a poll critical of the guy's photography.

When you have examples of own work, images in YOUR gallery, you will then have every right to post them, ask for C&C, discuss various edits, etc.

If DPR has an article in the future featuring some of your images, you'd be furious if someone started a Poll about how poor they are. Frankly you sound a bit jealous that DPR selected someone else's work for an article. If you are so convinced that you could do better work, go for it. Nobody is stopping you.

Bravo.

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neurad1
Contributing MemberPosts: 985Gear list
Like?
Re: BOTH images are HIS...the difference is the original doesn't look like a cartoon.
In reply to marike6, Aug 21, 2013

marike6 wrote:

BOTH images are Krieger's. Swiping someone's image and spending two minutes applying a cartoonish, over-saturated HDR actions to it, doesn't mean it's all of the sudden YOURS.

Second, his image is for an article on "Poor Weather Photography", not "Bright Sunny Day Photography". It's about context. If he wanted to make a grey day looking like a bright sunny beach day he could have done that.

Whether you think it's underexposed or not, interesting compositionally or not, doesn't give you the right to create a poll critical of the guy's photography.

When you have examples of own work, images in YOUR gallery, you will then have every right to post them, ask for C&C, discuss various edits, etc.

If DPR has an article in the future featuring some of your images, you'd be furious if someone started a Poll about how poor they are. Frankly you sound a bit jealous that DPR selected someone else's work for an article. If you are so convinced that you could do better work, go for it. Nobody is stopping you.

I was wondering if Tedolf had returned as a reincarnated chess master (see OPs moniker) to troll us again.

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Costia
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 21, 2013

The original image looks too flat to me. It's probably tone mapped/HDR processed. I would expect the sky to be noticeably brighter than the sky even in a cloudy day. Which should make the house to "pop" more out of the image.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,127Gear list
Like?
Re: You've blown it
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 21, 2013

First off, the original photograph is an interpretation of one person's experience of weather and lighting. Your remake looks like you're the one pushing sliders like an amateur. You've re-created the scene to look as if it has been taken on a bright, sunny day. I'm scratching my head, as to why you felt you should take such license, and then turn it into an attack on the abilities of someone who was actually there.

 Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,242Gear list
Like?
Doomed from the Start
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 21, 2013

This image was doomed from the start by inappropriate use of a tilt/shift lens.  It's a geometric mess, and quite unsettling to look at.  Then Photomatix was brought in to administer the coup de grace.  Very 2006.  The OP's further crankage made a bad shot much worse.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RobertSigmund
Forum ProPosts: 10,052Gear list
Like?
Re: Doomed from the Start
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Aug 21, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

This image was doomed from the start by inappropriate use of a tilt/shift lens.  It's a geometric mess, and quite unsettling to look at.  Then Photomatix was brought in to administer the coup de grace.  Very 2006.  The OP's further crankage made a bad shot much worse.

Agreed. Concurs with what I wrote here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3535210?page=2

 RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
domina
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?
In reply to David Rosser, Aug 21, 2013

Monochrome is best for this image!

-- hide signature --

Nobody has the right to not be photographed or prevent the publication of their image, edited or original, whether they're in the street or in private places where photography is not prohibited.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,116
Like?
Re: I'm not sure about whose grammar is better...
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 21, 2013

papillon_65 wrote:

TheEye wrote:

...or worse.

As long as you have something meaningful to contribute and haven't veered wildly off-topic, kids off school at the moment and feeling bored teach?

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

You have to insert an "are" and a comma into your post!   This not to say your post wasn't a meaningful contribution or a sign of being bored yourself, Mr Butterfly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
Re: I dare you...
In reply to Great Bustard, Aug 21, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Pritzl wrote:

You can put lipstick on a pig but I still wouldn't kiss it.

...to say that in the Off Topic Forum.

Why? Lots of swine in there? 

 Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,029Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm not sure about whose grammar is better...
In reply to TheEye, Aug 21, 2013

TheEye wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

TheEye wrote:

...or worse.

As long as you have something meaningful to contribute and haven't veered wildly off-topic, kids off school at the moment and feeling bored teach?

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

You have to insert an "are" and a comma into your post! This not to say your post wasn't a meaningful contribution or a sign of being bored yourself, Mr Butterfly.

Thanks, but when I want my posts marked for grammar and spelling I'll let you know. You must be very busy because mine is pretty literate compared to a lot of what gets posted on here.
The topic interested me, if I'm bored I just stop reading and move on, is there any chance you could do the same or maybe contribute "on-topic" Mr literacy?.....

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

 papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MPrince
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038
Like?
Re: Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Aug 21, 2013

Mikhail Tal wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

phaedin wrote:

Since you like bombastic images. I will give you a bombastic critique.
IT'S HORRIBLE. The post processing is so bad it makes my eyes bleed. You have totally lost the original intent of the image and ..... Sorry what was I talking about? I've forgotten

Not one poster here likes Mikhail's version, yet he takes this as a compliment. Maybe he sees himself as Nietzsche of van Gogh - both had no success during their lifetimes, their great impact came afterwards.

Wrong, 13 posters voted my version to be the best.

Voting that your edit is better than the original is not the same as liking your edit.

I dislike both.  To me, the original is bland and boring, but your edit is so hideous it would make a blind man lose his lunch.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads