Travel storage issue

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Questions
Photoviewer
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
Travel storage issue
Aug 20, 2013

Hi guys,

I am going to have 10 days holidays sooner. I can fill in my 32gb sd card within two days with raw+jpeg. Buying more sd cards seem not quite practical to me. And I do not have any notebook/tablette and public share pc/desktop could have full of virus which I do not dare to use.

Any good devices to recommend me to transfer my file over without need of pc/notebook/tablette? Preferable with 1tb or more spare storage.

Sorry for my english.

Thanks guys!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 417Gear list
Like?
Re: Travel storage issue
In reply to Photoviewer, Aug 20, 2013

There are a lot of storage solutions out there but I don't know of any that don't need a pc of some type to use as a medium. Considering that class 10 32gb SD cards go for about 15 to 20 dollars on sale that will almost certainly be your cheapest solution by far.

The next most obvious is to use a laptop of course and a storage solution of your choice. You could for instance store your photos on a mp3 player connected to a laptop or a smart phone. If you have a smart phone with unlimited data you could use that to upload your photos to a variety of cloud based accounts, both free and paid. I know some cameras have wireless transfer capability now so you may be able to skip the pc and go to your smart phone that way. This of course will be a slow transfer.

Another option to save some space is just save in RAW file format and skip the jpeg. You can always create a jpg later from the RAW file. This wont solve the problem but it will slow down your use of space.

Unless your laptop is a hive of viruses currently, I really do not see it as a problem. After all, when you get back from vacation you are just going to upload those same photos to a laptop or pc.

sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken Gosden
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
In reply to sapple, Aug 20, 2013

There are several companies making photo vault storage solutions.  These are basically battery powered hard drives with integrated card readers and various quality small displays.  Two big brands are Sanho and Nexto.  They are certainly small, portable and fairly fast to copy, but not very cost effective.  The cheapest with color displays for low resolution image reviews will run over $300 for 250GB.  For another $100 you can buy a small laptop or tablet and a 500GB drive.  Not as portable, but more useful and a heck of a lot bigger screen.  There are a lot of good discussion threads on all these topics under accessories (for the photo vault solution) and Mobile photography (for the tablet solution).

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,814Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photoviewer, Aug 20, 2013

I wonder whether something like this  combined with any portable HDD would work.

It's not a one box solution and there's no screen, so presumably you could only upload everything on the card, but it would be less expensive and smaller than a laptop.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Ken Gosden
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, Aug 20, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

I wonder whether something like this combined with any portable HDD would work.

It's not a one box solution and there's no screen, so presumably you could only upload everything on the card, but it would be less expensive and smaller than a laptop.

I have not seen that particular model, but it is similar in function to the Kingston MobileLite and a few other devices. These all require some computer or tablet (Android or iOS) to control their functions. They are basically little self-contained WiFi networks with integrated NAS (Network Attached Storage) features. Plenty of discussions on them on the Mobile Photography forum. So far, only the Kingston offered reasonable file transfer performance. Most would take well over an hour to copy a single 16GB memory card to a backup hard drive or flash drive. This thread is pretty complete: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50375824

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
Photoviewer
Like?
Re: Thanks guys for all the tips and hints..
In reply to Ken Gosden, Aug 22, 2013

Hey guys,

Thank you for all the inputs and suggests given. Appreciate indeed.

With all the tips and hints which directed me to Android Talk forum and learnt I can do this task with my Samsung galaxy SII thru USB OTG cable to USB Hub then transfer file between card reader to external USB HDD via SII. I will tried and test before my trip. I already own an 1 TB external HDD. If work, this seem the cheapest solution to me. I will also buy two more class 10 cards as well. Not cheap in my side, scandisk 32gb 45mb/s is asking, discounted price, $49 per card!

Now come to my another question: May I know what is the free and reliable android app to copy/paste Sony raw+jpeg file from SDHC card to HDD within the android plaform?

TimAY
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photoviewer, Aug 22, 2013

I use my S3 with a 1TB external drive, I'd suggest that USB3 drives won't work as I've had no luck getting them recognised

As for a file explorer, there's a plethora available on the Play Store but I use ES File Explorer, have a look, see what you think

I also use DSLR Controller on the Galaxy with my 60D which is nice and handy

TimAY's gear list:TimAY's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2800 Zoom Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more
Photoviewer
Like?
In reply to TimAY, Aug 22, 2013

Ah....bad experience so far. I bought a Belkin 7 slot desktop USB2 hub with power supply + 2 OTG cables just now total damage was $50..Tried on my SII... both OTG cables having contact issue with my SII, the USB hub even with wall power supply plug in still failed to power up my card reader and seagate backup plus 1tb USB3 exter HDD..What is going wrong? Plain no luck at all..I could buy a class 10 32bg card with this amount.. 

To avoid all the hassle, I think I will just buy few more cards...

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,902Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photoviewer, Aug 22, 2013

That's my take on things. Cards are small and cheap and reliable, and if you are not a pro requiring instant secure backup, or anyone requiring on-site editing, why bother with anything else. I do not delete on the go. Full card stays full. I still use class 6 cards as backups, particularly if shooting without using burst mode, or shooting on the world's slowest filewriting camera (Sigma DP2M - gorgeous images, but gaaah, could get grey hair while the thing writes).

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
hewhosculpts
Contributing MemberPosts: 774Gear list
Like?
Not a solution for you but this is something cameras should do
In reply to Photoviewer, Aug 28, 2013

I've thought about this before... It would be clever if there was a camera function to backup your card to a portable HDD... This would probably be a battery drainer but still it would make so many photographers lives so much easier....

hewhosculpts's gear list:hewhosculpts's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
TimAY
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photoviewer, Aug 28, 2013

As another forum member suggested having extra cards isn't a bad thing, however, if you can get the OTG thing to work it's quite neat.  I did say in my first reply that USB 3 doesn't work, I've tried and failed.  However on USB 2 drives it does, I own three and they all talk to my Samsung.

What you want to do isn't ideal, I also have a Vosonic piece of kit that travels with me, it's old and only 80GB but useful in case I really need to backup on the fly

Just my thoughts ...

TimAY's gear list:TimAY's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2800 Zoom Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads