GH3 autofocus problems in video with 14-140

Started Aug 19, 2013 | Discussions
thanos
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
GH3 autofocus problems in video with 14-140
Aug 19, 2013

I'm using the GH3 for events videography with the 14-140 4.0-5.8 lens (the old one - bought as a kit with the camera) and I'm experiencing some problems with autofocus in AFC mode (example videos at the end of the post). The AF gets confused in *direct sunlight* when shooting people moving (like dancing running etc).

I'm shooting in creative video mode.

Settings:

AF mode: 23-Area

Motion picture menu: exposure mode: P, Continuous AF: ON

Custom menu: Quick AF: ON

Please don't tell me to shoot in manual focus or AFS. At this price point the least I'm expecting is reliable AF in direct sunlight.

Of the 30-40 clips shot that day 5-6 had the problem.

Video samples demonstrating the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK0GIXWt_c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGk2v1LA8G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iApZ5m7mFw

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,255Gear list
Like?
It has limitations.
In reply to thanos, Aug 19, 2013

thanos wrote:

I'm using the GH3 for events videography with the 14-140 4.0-5.8 lens (the old one - bought as a kit with the camera) and I'm experiencing some problems with autofocus in AFC mode (example videos at the end of the post). The AF gets confused in *direct sunlight* when shooting people moving (like dancing running etc).

I'm shooting in creative video mode.

Settings:

AF mode: 23-Area

Please don't tell me to shoot in manual focus or AFS. At this price point the least I'm expecting is reliable AF in direct sunlight.

In 23-area AF, the camera will just focus on the object that is closest to the camera.  This can be fooled if many things come between the camera and your object of interest.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thanos
Like?
Re: It has limitations.
In reply to G1Houston, Aug 19, 2013

G1Houston wrote:

In 23-area AF, the camera will just focus on the object that is closest to the camera. This can be fooled if many things come between the camera and your object of interest.

I don't see anything coming btw the camera and the lens. The examples I've posted are a total failure of AF.

RickPick
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
In reply to thanos, Aug 19, 2013

Still, try single area autofocus, you may have more success with that. You can change the size of the focus point appropriate to your subject and distance.

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,255Gear list
Like?
In reply to RickPick, Aug 19, 2013

RickPick wrote:

Still, try single area autofocus, you may have more success with that. You can change the size of the focus point appropriate to your subject and distance.

also make sure the lens has the latest firm ware.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
thanos
Like?
In reply to RickPick, Aug 20, 2013

RickPick wrote:

Yep, tried that. It's even more unstable so I went back to 23-area.

thanos
Like?
In reply to G1Houston, Aug 20, 2013

G1Houston wrote:

RickPick wrote:

also make sure the lens has the latest firm ware.

I have body firmware v1.2, lens firmware v1.4. These are the latest i think.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads