HS50 vs SX50

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Photofreak7
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
HS50 vs SX50
11 months ago

I know there is info out there comparing the two ... but I am looking for info from folks here who have owned both and compared them. My main question is when shooting the Fuji in EXR for low light does it compare to the Canon or is it better. Comparameter online lacks Fuji models and Dpr also doesn't have the HS50 avail to compare to the Canon

-- hide signature --

Don't feed or mess with the crazy person ... just take a photo and walk away ... just walk away man!

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: HS50 vs SX50
In reply to Photofreak7, 11 months ago

Photofreak7 wrote:

I know there is info out there comparing the two ... but I am looking for info from folks here who have owned both and compared them. My main question is when shooting the Fuji in EXR for low light does it compare to the Canon or is it better. Comparameter online lacks Fuji models and Dpr also doesn't have the HS50 avail to compare to the Canon

-- hide signature --

Don't feed or mess with the crazy person ... just take a photo and walk away ... just walk away man!

Check out my HS50 review and see for yourself. SX40 has the same sensor and JPEG engine found on SX50 so it should be a valid comparison.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51328827

The SX40 images are the ones with IMG filename.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photofreak7
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, 11 months ago

thanks for the info ... honestly the Canon holds up pretty well IQ wise to the Fuji and likely has better video but in every other way the Fuji is better ... VF, LCD, assuming DR and rendering of noise/detail at high ISOs.

-- hide signature --

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

Photofreak7 wrote:

thanks for the info ... honestly the Canon holds up pretty well IQ wise to the Fuji

Hmmm... you think it is that way? That is not even RAW for Fuji.

and likely has better video

Canon SX video sucks. Fuji video is better unless you are zoom-freak while recording video.

but in every other way the Fuji is better ... VF, LCD, assuming DR and rendering of noise/detail at high ISOs.

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,873
Like?

Photofreak7 wrote:

thanks for the info ... honestly the Canon holds up pretty well IQ wise to the Fuji and likely has better video but in every other way the Fuji is better ... VF, LCD, assuming DR and rendering of noise/detail at high ISOs.

-- hide signature --

I can only throw out my experience with the Fuji S8200 which is a non EXR camera, but has the CMOS sensor. It's a good camera and very suitable for 4x6 and 8x10 prints, but not easy to get really good IQ from at upper focal length due to it's tendency to hunt focus.  At one time, I owned a S200EXR and if every setting was correct for the shot, it rendered good, but not great IQ. Honestly, this whole debate on M or L size and ISO leaves one guessing if the right settings were used. In my view, Canon SX40/50 (had the SX50 and returned it as it's IQ was no better than my SX40..sometimes less) make it easier to get good quality IQ regardless of MP size, ISO, and will give sharp images at all lengths. I've seen great images out of both cams and for me, it gets down to camera feel (ergonomics), of which Fuji has always felt good to hold and dive into the menu with easier access buttons IMO.

Below is a few from the S8200 and the SX40 and SX50 for what it's worth.

Shot in digital at the far end

Long distance and evening light

Persimmon

Fig

Photofreak7
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, 11 months ago

jcmarfilph wrote:

Photofreak7 wrote:

thanks for the info ... honestly the Canon holds up pretty well IQ wise to the Fuji

Hmmm... you think it is that way? That is not even RAW for Fuji.

Ya OOC the Fuji is sharper but a closer look shows detail wise they are about the same ... contrast and colors are diff for sure ... but take the Canon image and sharpen it and adjust sat and contrast and at least jpg to jpg they will likely be close ... however having said that I have to say that Fuji has been really nailing their lenses lately so I def prefer the Fuji here as it resolves better when paired with the slightly larger sensor ... maybe not throughout the entire focal range but in this comparison for sure.

and likely has better video

Canon SX video sucks. Fuji video is better unless you are zoom-freak while recording video.

that's mostly what I'm refering to being able to zoom smoothly and quietly (if necessary) ... but that's a downfall of the manual zoom which I otherwise like. But most reviews indicate the Canon video is pretty good and in my exp the Fuji video typically isn't as good but the 50 may be better I can't speak for it.

but in every other way the Fuji is better ... VF, LCD, assuming DR and rendering of noise/detail at high ISOs.

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

-- hide signature --

Bill Donnell
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?

Pros don't zoom while recording. They use cuts. Check it out. How many zooms do you see on TV or in the movies. Very few.

Bill Donnell's gear list:Bill Donnell's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,234Gear list
Like?

Those are terrible samples - look at real world samples from the cameras concerned (the SX40 is NOT an SX50 lens or JPG engine wise) the SX50 in RAW totally Rocks , the detail is Phenomenal and way beyond any EXR camera and the IS is to die for - the prob is that the camera is horrible to use and you NEED to shoot RAW as the JPG engine ruins the wide end of the zoom with NR and poor distortion correction  ...

Also I`ve yet to encounter a Fuji worth shooting video with, the quality is very poor indeed and usually wobbly too (the AF leaves a lot to be desired too) , it`s a pain because they`re the ones with handy manual zooms (I don`t zoom when Videoing but like to get there fast inbetween scenes) - Video quality wise, I`d rate Fuji absolute bottom of the pile (as do all the review sites) canon are very good in fact ..

Sony and Panasonic are the Superzooms for Video if that is of main importance, the Sony ones are poor for stills above Blog size though due to way excessive base ISO NR (smearo-rama) .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads