Q/03: Open Air Cinema Panorama

Started 8 months ago | Photos
philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,902
Like?
Q/03: Open Air Cinema Panorama
8 months ago

A few days ago in Kassel, Germany, I visited an open air film screening. Shortly before the movie started - it was almost dark then - I quickly snapped this pano with the Q/03 - five shots combined. It may be a quick & dirty & especially a noisy one, but I like the atmosphere it captures and hopefully conveys:

It was a quite warm and enjoyable evening. The film screened was a two hour documentary, BTW - "Germany from above". Excellent photography in this one indeed ... Some nice trailers on YouTube, if you're interested - simply search for "Germany from above".

The pano was shot at ISO 2500. I didn't lock exposure, so the exposure times varied from 1/20s to 1/6s for the single shots. But capable blending from the stitching software and some selective PP work in PS afterwards took care of this good enough, I think.

Phil

-- hide signature --
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
John Cal
Regular MemberPosts: 307Gear list
Like?
Re: Q/03: Open Air Cinema Panorama
In reply to philzucker, 8 months ago

Love it and at ISO 2500 excellent, looks like a fun time.

John Cal's gear list:John Cal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
philzucker
Like?
In reply to John Cal, 8 months ago

John Cal wrote:

Love it and at ISO 2500 excellent, looks like a fun time.

Thanks for your comment, John - and indeed it was a fun time

Because of this I reworked the pano in 16 bit and did some additional corrections before stitching. The original post should soon show the reworked pic - and here I present a "before and after" that shows that doing some PP work before stitching is usually a very good idea.

The second attempt has white balance adjusted (and every of the five pics set to the same value!) and some individual exposure adjustments before stitching. PP afterwards was completely done in 16 bit, so light and shadow could be balanced better. I also corrected some stitching errors I overlooked before. The difference shows, I think.

Before:

After:

Phil

-- hide signature --
John Cal
Regular MemberPosts: 307Gear list
Like?

Hi Phil,

Which Pano software do you use? I would really like to try this, again great shot.

Regards

John

John Cal's gear list:John Cal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +14 more
Perry Carmichael
Contributing MemberPosts: 822Gear list
Like?

Great shot! Good job grabbing all 5 shots quick enough so that the moving people don't really show. I guess the noise snobs will complain, but the picture is about the people, the event and the fun in the air. Thanks for sharing!!

-- hide signature --

Take pictures and PRINT THEM OUT or otherwise share....
pc
Please visit my photo blog at
http://perry-myworld.blogspot.com/
Scio, Oregon, USA
http://www.pccaprice.com/WEB_PIX/pano-icon.jpg

Perry Carmichael's gear list:Perry Carmichael's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
philzucker
Like?
In reply to John Cal, 7 months ago

John Cal wrote:

Hi Phil,

Which Pano software do you use? I would really like to try this

Hi John!

Sorry, I was away on vacation and only now saw your question.

I've been using PTGui for years now, and am quite satisfied with it. There is a trial version available at their site. By all means try it!

A word of caution: If you want to stitch panos done with the 03 fish eye lens correctly with PTGui you have to enter lens type, focal length and multiplier manually - the automatic lens recognition doesn't yet work for this lens. Otherwise it should work fine.

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Like?
In reply to Perry Carmichael, 7 months ago

Perry Carmichael wrote:

Great shot! Good job grabbing all 5 shots quick enough so that the moving people don't really show. I guess the noise snobs will complain, but the picture is about the people, the event and the fun in the air. Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks Perry! I 100% agree with you of course.

BTW: The second version I did of this pano and that I somehow concealed successfully in this post http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52011047 was processed better and is a bit less noisy, has better colors and also corrected some stitching errors that came from those moving people you mentioned ...

I was away on vacation and only now saw your comment, so excuse the late reply.

Phil

-- hide signature --
jonska
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,205Gear list
Like?
In reply to philzucker, 7 months ago

Excellent, Phil. Especially the second version. Didn't know you were a Q-user. I am considering one for fun and trawling the threads looking for shots taken with it.

-- hide signature --

Shooting since '59 and still waiting for a keeper

jonska's gear list:jonska's gear list
Pentax K-5
philzucker
Like?
In reply to jonska, 7 months ago

jonska wrote:

Excellent, Phil. Especially the second version.

Thanks! The extra work for version #2 really paid off & was necessary ...

Didn't know you were a Q-user. I am considering one for fun and trawling the threads looking for shots taken with it.

I like the Q, and you can do some serious photography with it IMO, especially with the 01 prime.

I got a bit mixed feelings about the 03 though - it's nice overall, but not as sharp as I would like it to be with its fixed aperture. In PP it sharpens up nicely, but on pixel peeping level it doesn't come near at all to the DA10-17 or the Zenitar on my APS-C bodies. But for downsized panos like here and probably also for not too large prints it's okay. I'll even try a full double sized spread in a upcoming A4 sized landscape oriented photobook, and will see then if this works out.

Apart from that the Q is very nice to handle, with a good control layout, and I'm thinking about getting the 06 zoom and / or the Q7 body in the future.

Phil

-- hide signature --
jonska
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,205Gear list
Like?
In reply to philzucker, 7 months ago

philzucker wrote:

jonska wrote:

Excellent, Phil. Especially the second version.

Thanks! The extra work for version #2 really paid off & was necessary ...

Didn't know you were a Q-user. I am considering one for fun and trawling the threads looking for shots taken with it.

I like the Q, and you can do some serious photography with it IMO, especially with the 01 prime.

Thank you for the input, Phil.

I know about the good (and solid) feel of the Q, as I recently gave one to my wife (who has hardly touched it).  I am thinking of getting the Q with the standard 02 lens just for fun. ... Really, how bad must a serious camera be not to be worth USD 240? - and of course I will keep my dSLRs for occasions when size/weight are not an issue.

Ps. Always look for your shots/posts on the rather rare occasions that I drift through the Pentax dSLR forum. Nice to see you here too.

-- hide signature --

Shooting since '59 and still waiting for a keeper

jonska's gear list:jonska's gear list
Pentax K-5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads