OMd-EM1 -not the end of 4/3

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
DavidH202
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?
OMd-EM1 -not the end of 4/3
11 months ago

I believe everyone is not hearing what is being said and taking for granted that this is the replacement for 4/3rds.

Rick .... on the deliberately leaked video, makes the very first statement that the EM1 is the flagship of the OMd product line he does not say anything at all about 4/3 an it being the replacement only that it will work better with 4/3 glass than the EM-5!!!

I strongly believe there will be a future announcement to come later on about the still to come , 4/3 replacement body

DavidH202's gear list:DavidH202's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Braxton7
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Re: OMd-EM1 -not the end of 4/3
In reply to DavidH202, 11 months ago

DavidH202 wrote:

I believe everyone is not hearing what is being said and taking for granted that this is the replacement for 4/3rds.

Rick .... on the deliberately leaked video, makes the very first statement that the EM1 is the flagship of the OMd product line he does not say anything at all about 4/3 an it being the replacement only that it will work better with 4/3 glass than the EM-5!!!

I strongly believe there will be a future announcement to come later on about the still to come , 4/3 replacement body

Hope so. Yeah deliberately leaked is right. Pulled down pretty fast too ( only a 36mp MP4 though:) ). Hope your right.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danielvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,738Gear list
Like?

I strongly believe there will be a future announcement to come later on about the still to come , 4/3 replacement body

My impression from Olympus' earlier statements (see http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51979829) is that this OMD E-M1 serves as the E-5 successor, but that a new intermediate-level Fourthirds body may still be announced.

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,950Gear list
Like?

DavidH202 wrote:

I strongly believe there will be a future announcement to come later on about the still to come , 4/3 replacement body

A look at the E-M1 and the degree to which it is derived from the OM-D combined with the degree to which the E-5 was derived from the E-3 strongly suggests that Olympus is doing its best to use existing tools and dies and sub-assemblies, Any new body seems unlikely, and, although a revision of the E-5 is theoretically possible, ir seems very unlikely especially in light of the emphasis that was put on:

1) the "the very large" EVW of the new camera "larger than some FF camera VF"

2) the focussing performance with FT lenses

3) the emphasis on weatherproofing, and especially on "cold-prooffing'

4) that big, obviously comprehensively-designed grip.

5) the fact that it was demonstrated with the last and most complicated FT lens

All of this suggests strongly that this is, indeed, Olympus' "pro" camera, as well as the "bridge camera" they have so long promised.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +16 more
DavidH202
Like?
In reply to erichK, 11 months ago

Once again ...he specifically states it is the flagship of the OM-D line of products.

OM-D is NOT E series 4/3rds no matter how you slice it!

E series 4/3rds is not dead , (at least until the fat lady sings)

Olympus E-M1
travlinhoosier
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
This camera will take a big chunk of any E7's market. Why would they do that if E7 were coming?

I don't expect an E7 and, while I don't know just when I'll buy this I expect to do so within the next several months and then an E7 would not be of interest to me.  So if they're going to announce one they'd better do it soon and I'll be amazed if they do.

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,793Gear list
Like?

DavidH202 wrote:

Once again ...he specifically states it is the flagship of the OM-D line of products.

OM-D is NOT E series 4/3rds no matter how you slice it!

E series 4/3rds is not dead , (at least until the fat lady sings)

That is your opinion, and only time alone will tell if you are right.  But then, that could be the fat lady on stage right.....

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
weird photo

I believe that this camera (or something like it) is coming, but I just spent some time really looking at the leaked photos... and something is really weird about that head-on shot of the EM-1, where it's cradled in the guy's hand. It looks like the grip part of the camera is photoshopped onto the "OM-D" part of the camera.

Not sure what that means, but thought I'd share it.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
It will become apparent when

We see a true focusing test on a range of 43rds lenses. It either works fully or it doesn't (in all lighting environments).

In a presentation Olympus had listed a pro OMD and an entry level OMD as well a an E-series camera. If the focusing on this body has limitations then people would be silly to assume this was the body Olympus meant.

The focusing is still the key.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
DavidH202
Like?
Re: It will become apparent when
In reply to alatchin, 11 months ago

You got it.... this is a Pro OMD not a E series 4/3rds

"It aint over till its over "...Yogi Berra

Olympus E-M1
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,950Gear list
Like?
Hope springs eternal...BUT

Olympus is just now managing to limit its losses after the Woodford debacle, and Pen sales have been disappointing, though the OM-D seems to have managed decent figures. I noted the great care with which Watanabe and other Oly heads, while promising a "pro" model that would have a big viewfinder focus and focus and balance FT lenses well and improve weatherproofing, carefully avoided committing themselves to any new OV or DSLR.  The new camera is touted as doing exactly these things.

It has been 3 years since the last new FT product, the E-5 surfaced. It seems unlikely that Olympus, after leading in establishing the EVIL camera market, working closely with Sony which is essentially abandoning OVF DSLR's, and apparently having finally developed an effective hybrid focussing system, would even want to come out with another DSLR.

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +16 more
DavidH202
Like?
Re: Hope springs eternal...BUT

Nikon and Canon built an entire Digital product line (and still do), to accommodate their legacy glass.

Oly is doing the same. They have too much going for them to fully abandon the 4/3rds glass and not appease the exising user base that still does not wish to go to and EVF and only moderately satisfactory AF with the 'legacy' 4/3 glass.

They would have been having fire sales on the 4/3 glass if it was coming to an end now!

maybe the next iterations will end the line, but the new 4/3rds body has been in R&D for a long time now.

Olympus E-M1
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,689Gear list
Like?
So by when, calendar wise, can we give this up?

i.e. When do you think an "E-7 should surely have come by or Olympus indeed has moved on"- Dec 2013? March 2014? September 2014?

I never thought an E-7 would come by, and from my own hearings apparently Olympus had decided to yes, make one (after NOT doing one) only to decide again not to go there.  So I was surprised and wrong for a few months but looks like they are going all m4/3rds which to me makes a lot of sense.

So when calendar wise, can we call this off?

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,793Gear list
Like?
Re: So by when, calendar wise, can we give this up?
In reply to Raist3d, 11 months ago

Raist3d wrote:

i.e. When do you think an "E-7 should surely have come by or Olympus indeed has moved on"- Dec 2013? March 2014? September 2014?

I never thought an E-7 would come by, and from my own hearings apparently Olympus had decided to yes, make one (after NOT doing one) only to decide again not to go there. So I was surprised and wrong for a few months but looks like they are going all m4/3rds which to me makes a lot of sense.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Perhaps after the fat lady has sung.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815Gear list
Like?
This is the Japanese way . . .

If the E-x (as most here expect) is now dropped then Olympus won't mention it ever again.
All Corporate communications from Olympus will focus on the OM-D and Pen lines.
It will be as if  the E-5 never existed.

Any reference to E-x  will  be done via an indirect term such as "DSLR users"  - almost as if Olympus never had a line of DSLR cameras.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +22 more
TheSquid
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?

judging by the images of the camera, I believe it will handle similarly to an OM4T with the MD1 attached.  If it achieves that, I'm surely like to have one.

I do as well expect a 4/3 body announced at the same time.

DavidH202
Like?
Re: So by when, calendar wise, can we give this up?
In reply to Raist3d, 11 months ago

Raist3d wrote:

I never thought an E-7 would come by, and from my own hearings apparently Olympus had decided to yes, make one (after NOT doing one) only to decide again not to go there. So I was surprised and wrong for a few months but looks like they are going all m4/3rds which to me makes a lot of sense.

-- hide signature --

It is not going to be an "E-7" and if it is not announced by end of October, then I would safely say the end of the E- series has come.

This amaturely produced OMd EM1 announcement ("leak" my ass), is a deliberate teaser meant to stir the pot, and create interest and more speculation...

it has already achieved it's intent

Olympus E-M1
Jon Stock
Senior MemberPosts: 1,599Gear list
Like?
Re: This is the Japanese way . . .
In reply to Messier Object, 11 months ago

Messier Object wrote:

If the E-x (as most here expect) is now dropped then Olympus won't mention it ever again.
All Corporate communications from Olympus will focus on the OM-D and Pen lines.
It will be as if the E-5 never existed.

Any reference to E-x will be done via an indirect term such as "DSLR users" - almost as if Olympus never had a line of DSLR cameras.

Peter

I worked with a Japanese company building a power plant in North America.  The japanese were very reluctant to be blunt.  It is hard for them to just say No, or 'you are wrong'.  They tend to be much more subtle; they stall, divert, distract from a subject.  North american Construction supervisors found this frustrating.  Some felt it was dishonest.  It was not dishonesty.  The japanese were great to work with once you understood some of their cultural quirks.

The olympus 4/3 to u4/3 adapter is $150.  If the auto focus is acceptable with 4/3rds lenses then 4/3rds is dead and long live 4/3rds + adapter.  Especially if the viewfinder is bigger than a FF viewfinder.

One of the complaints about 4/3rds was the lack of a good portrait prime.  The 45mm 1.8, the 75mm, and the 42.5mm f1.2 fix that.

-- hide signature --

Jon

Jon Stock's gear list:Jon Stock's gear list
Epson R-D1x Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +13 more
DavidH202
Like?
Re: This is the Japanese way . . .
In reply to Jon Stock, 11 months ago

Jon Stock wrote:

I worked with a Japanese company building a power plant in North America. The japanese were very reluctant to be blunt. It is hard for them to just say No, or 'you are wrong'. viewfinder.Jon

You may be correct about the Japanese way but the brass at Oly have been very 'blunt' for over the past year, in insisting that they will not abandon the 4/3rds users and that m4/3 is a separate entity.

Olympus E-M1
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,689Gear list
Like?
Which is by when?
In reply to Roger Engelken, 11 months ago

Roger Engelken wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

-- hide signature --

Perhaps after the fat lady has sung.

Come on, be committed  For many the fat lady sang long ago

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads