Full frame rangefinder solutions. Not leica

Started Aug 18, 2013 | Discussions
treepop
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?
Full frame rangefinder solutions. Not leica
Aug 18, 2013

Curious if this exists. I love the idea of a nice compact full frame camera with minimal size. However, I'm not willing to drop leica type doe for it.

Thanks.
--
never stop learning

treepop's gear list:treepop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Prime85
Contributing MemberPosts: 770
Like?
Re: Full frame rangefinder solutions. Not leica
In reply to treepop, Aug 18, 2013

SONY will have the FF NEX out soon.  Not a real rangefinder.  But the body style is similar.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456Gear list
Like?
RE:

Use a Voigtlander Bessa and scan the film.  There aren't many rangefinders, with any sensor size.

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,141
Like?

treepop wrote:

Curious if this exists. I love the idea of a nice compact full frame camera with minimal size. However, I'm not willing to drop leica type doe for it.

Thanks.
--
never stop learning

Everyone is different and I happen to be a person who doesn't like rangefinder cameras.

Back in the 60s and 70s they were great cameras but today they would have to be considered a niche camera. Contrary to all the hype, they just aren't a good choice for most people.

You're right that Leica is currently making about the only digital rangefinders and they are extremely expensive, especially when you consider that less expensive systems will out perform them in most ways. Leica lenses are excellent, manual focus lenses, but are also out of most people's price range.

About the only, small, full frame camera that's available right now is the Sony RX1 and it's price is also higher than most people want to pay for a small camera without a viewfinder.

I've often asked myself why so many amateur photographers are so enamored with full frame cameras.

In a practical sense, and for normal use, they aren't really any better than a good camera/lens with an APS size sensor.

I can only think of a couple of situations in the last 10 years where a full frame camera might have served me better than APS-C and people who talk about background blur and all that other "junk", may not know how to use their DSLR or don't own the right lens.

There are exceptions to every rule and some people do need a full frame sensor but most of us snap shooters who aren't doing a horrendous amount of cropping, or selling our pictures to National Geographic, would be smarter to stick with APS-C.

JoePhoto
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,209
Like?
In reply to Ed B, Aug 18, 2013

A (true) rangefinder (type) camera would be the BEST choice for many, and maybe even "most".

Compared to SLR's the original (film) rangefinders were:

Lighter / smaller
Quieter
No shutter lag
Brighter viewfinder (with about 130% coverage)
No "blackout" during exposure
Faster flash-sync speed
Easier to use with "some" filters.

All of these contributed to "better" images.

The main advantages of the SLR was the ability to use "extreme" WA or TELE and the use of "some" filters. (But remember some were easier to use on rangefinders.)

I had many SLR's, but MADE MORE MONEY with my rangefinders, (a lot more money).

NOW .... digital has convoluted things a bit.

But all digitals still have the "blackout" which was one of my major advantages of rangefinder-type. (Albeit the new ability to instantly review-images is nice.)
--
Thanks for reading .... JoePhoto

( Do You Ever STOP to THINK --- and FORGET to START Again ??? )

s majesk
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?
Not FF But
In reply to JoePhoto, Aug 18, 2013

Do Yourself a favour and test drive a Fuji X100s

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

The rangefinder 'experience' is one that I find very pleasing.

Shutter speed dial.

Aperture selection on the lens.

Focus ring.

Bingo.

Nothing beats it for me.

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,141
Like?

JoePhoto wrote:

A (true) rangefinder (type) camera would be the BEST choice for many, and maybe even "most".

Lighter / smaller
Quieter
No shutter lag
Faster flash-sync speed

The main advantages of the SLR was the ability to use "extreme" WA or TELE and the use of "some" filters. (But remember some were easier to use on rangefinders.)

But all digitals still have the "blackout" which was one of my major advantages of rangefinder-type. (Albeit the new ability to instantly review-images is nice.)
--

Spoken like a true lover of rangefinders

You bring up some very good points but I don't know if you're right about them possibly being the best cameras for most people, especially when you consider the mindset of younger consumers.

For a person who shoots prime lenses and wants manual focus only (gone are the days of the Contax auto focus system) the Leica would be good but, currently, it's about the only choice in digital and has to be considered a niche product.

I do agree that the older 35mm range finders had many good qualities.

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,369Gear list
Like?
That's not a rangefinder experience
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Aug 18, 2013

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

Shutter speed dial.

Focus ring.

Bingo.

Nothing beats it for me.

My Nikon FE2 has all of that.

I did like film rangefinders like the Nikon SP and the Canon 7 but that was because they were small, quiet and had spectacularly good viewfinders. All you can get today is quiet.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Cailean Gallimore
Like?
Re: That's not a rangefinder experience
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Aug 18, 2013

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

Shutter speed dial.

Focus ring.

Bingo.

Nothing beats it for me.

My Nikon FE2 has all of that.

I did like film rangefinders like the Nikon SP and the Canon 7 but that was because they were small, quiet and had spectacularly good viewfinders. All you can get today is quiet.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Yeah - we're talking about elegant simplicity

yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,763Gear list
Like?

My manual film SLRs had those same features/ operational qualities,  and I would like to work that way again. If I could find a large sensor digital camera with a good lens or lenses and manual controls as you describe, I wouldn't care whether it looked like an SLR, a rangefinder,  or a Kodak Brownie.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 18,033
Like?

JoePhoto wrote:

Lighter / smaller
Quieter
No shutter lag
Faster flash-sync speed

--

Rangefinders have (functionally) inferior viewfinders. Yes, they are big and bright, but they don't offer TTL viewing, don't work with zooms, can't do depth-of-field preview, and are terrible for longer and very wide focal lengths. Oh, and have you ever tried using a graduated neutral density filter on a rangefinder? Believe it or not, a lot of us like to see what our lenses are seeing.

As far as viewfinder blackout goes...uh..you blink your eyes, don't you? The average human eye blink is 100-400 milliseconds. The viewfinder blackout for a few higher-end Canon 35mm film SLRs where...EOS 1V : 87 ms, EOS 3 : 105 ms...EOS 1N : 140 ms.

Photographers overwhelmingly chose the SLR form factor over the rangefinder form factor for a lot of good reasons.  And, arguably, far more "better" images have been shot with SLRs than rangefinders.

T3
T3
Like?

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

Shutter speed dial.

Focus ring.

Bingo.

Nothing beats it for me.

All of these things can be find out any ol' manual film SLR, too.  Shutter speed dial?  Check.  Focus ring?  Got it.  Aperture ring on the lens?  Check.  But unlike a rangefinder, you actually get to see through the lens on an SLR (TTL viewing).

T3
T3
Like?

treepop wrote:

Thanks.
--
never stop learning

We'll eventually have full frame mirrorless cameras, but they probably won't be true "rangefinders" because rangefinders don't offer through-the-lens viewing (at least not if you are using the rangefinder's eyepiece viewfinder), are mechanically complex and delicate (which adds to their cost), and the mechanical rangefinder mechanism sitting atop the camera body obviously adds to the size/height of the camera body, which would of course add to the camera body's size.

Cailean Gallimore
Like?

Sure, but I grew up in a house full of Leicas, so rangefinders are full of nice associations for me

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,014Gear list
Like?

You are looking for a camera not a "solution".  I see this stated often and shake my head every time when someone is looking for a "... solution".

Artichoke
Forum ProPosts: 11,815Gear list
Like?
rangefinders
In reply to T3, Aug 19, 2013

T3 wrote:

Rangefinders have (functionally) inferior viewfinders. Yes, they are big and bright, but they don't offer TTL viewing, don't work with zooms, can't do depth-of-field preview, and are terrible for longer and very wide focal lengths. Oh, and have you ever tried using a graduated neutral density filter on a rangefinder? Believe it or not, a lot of us like to see what our lenses are seeing

don't do tele or macro & you are also correct about DOF previews, though most rangefinder lenses have DOF scales built in to help with this

I strongly disagree with your comment on wide focal lengths being "terrible" with a rangefinder

wide angle photography is a strength of rangefinders & many outstanding extreme wide angle lenses are available for the M mount ...these are generally much smaller than their SLR equivalents & of high quality

the rangefinder's greatest advantage comes from being able to see beyond the frame being captured which helps enormously with composition

-- hide signature --

pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
my PBase Galleries
"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +5 more
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed B, Aug 19, 2013

Ed B wrote:

Everyone is different and I happen to be a person who doesn't like rangefinder cameras.

Back in the 60s and 70s they were great cameras but today they would have to be considered a niche camera. Contrary to all the hype, they just aren't a good choice for most people.

That is a very broad and sweeping statement, and completely wrong.  What you ment to say is that they are not a good choice for YOU.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?
In reply to JoePhoto, Aug 19, 2013

JoePhoto wrote:

Lighter / smaller
Quieter
No shutter lag
Faster flash-sync speed

flash synch is dependent on the curtain speed not the what kind of view finder. All focal plane shutters are or were limited to a flash synch speed which was the fastest speed obtainable with the second curtain not starting before the first curtain cleared the film. leaf shutters on the other hand could synch at any shutter speed they were capable of attaining.

you may be right but I have never found a filter to be easier or harder to use but in the slr it sure looked red using the red filter.

I disagree, the main advantage of the slr is to use very long lenses easlly and to do close up and micro and macro photography easily. Extreme wide angle is just as easy with a range finder.

--

aside from the above mentioned black out, the philosophical differences between range finder and slr camera usage is how our work flow progresses. In the slr your image is surrounded by black and your forced or lead into composing your pic in camera which works spectacularly well. In the range finder the work flow is you see the pic in your mind and compose before the camera comes to your eye and spend very little time adjusting the framing before shooting which works spectacularly well.

I love both.

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

T3
T3
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Aug 19, 2013

GodSpeaks wrote:

Ed B wrote:

That is a very broad and sweeping statement, and completely wrong. What you ment to say is that they are not a good choice for YOU.

I think he has history on his side. History has shown that, when it came down to choosing a rangefinder vs an SLR, "most people" overwhelmingly chose SLRs. Why? Because SLRs proved to be a better choice for most people. And I think that's even truer in today's day and age, when people *expect* to see in their viewfinder an image that is actually coming through their lens. Additionally, "most people" expect a modern camera to be able to do autofocus...which a rangefinder can't do. Plus, "most people" expect to at least have the option to use a zoom lens on their camera...which a rangefinder can't do either. Also, "most people" expect to see the image frame filling their viewfinder, enlarged and magnified by the lens focal length they've chosen...which a rangefinder can't do. With longer focal lengths, you get frame lines that outline a tiny box that might only take up a small fraction of the viewfinder. So, given the limitations of a rangefinder, and put up against what "most people" expect from a camera these days, I think Ed B is right on the money when he says, "they just aren't a good choice for most people." Sure, that may be a "broad and sweeping statement", but it's certainly not "completely wrong." Broad and sweeping statements can be generally true.

Over the years, rangefinders have been brought to the brink of extinction because they really aren't a good choice for most people.  They are very much a niche camera, just as Ed B has said.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads