MightyMike (and others) CIF with AF lens.

Started Aug 16, 2013 | Photos
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,873
Like?
MightyMike (and others) CIF with AF lens.
Aug 16, 2013

Hi Mike and anyone eles that might interested,

The following is a "how-to" for using catch-in-focusing (CIF) with any autofocus lens that does not have, or does not work, with an AF/MF switch on the lens. In this "how-to" I used my Sigma 500mm f4.5 lens. I did not have time to sit around too long this morning, so the first two images are not in focus and are just to show that the method works.

Disclaimer: Press the lens lock button, as described below, at your own risk. I do not take any responsibility for you doing so.

Using a small peice of aluminum foil, short out the data pin on the camera. The data pin is the very bottom pin as you are looking into the camera. I use a small peice of scotch tape to hold the foil in place while I mount the lens. This will tell the camera that an autofocus lens is not attached. Note: You will be using Av or TAv mode and the aperture that the camera reads will most likely be wrong. For instance my Sigma 500/4.5 lens reads f1.2 when I have the edial set for wide open aperture. However, the exposure will be proper as if you had f4.5 reading in the camera. In the images I am posting I set the aperture to f1.8 which I think corresponds to f6.3. I could probably figure out which pins to put a peice of tape on to get the proper readings but I just don't want to do that at this time.

When you turn on the camera and if you have previously set SR to ON then it will ask you to enter the focal length. In the menu set your camera up for catch-in-focusing. Set the Auto Power Off to OFF. Set the Continuous Shooting to HI if shooting at birds (or hummingbirds) in flight. Set the Continuous Shooting to Lo if shooting at where a subject will be located in the future (such as a bird that will land on a branch). The reason I use Continuous Lo is because I don't know how long the future subject will remain and if you are on Continuous Hi you will have a whole lot more images to go through and most of them will be identical.

If you are going to be shooting at BIFs then you can use a locking wired remote switch. Lock the wired remote and put it in your shirt pocket. Point at the subject, press and hold the lens lock button as you manually focus your lens on the subject. This is so you don't try to turn the motor in the camera. The camera will only fire when focus is obtained. If it stops firing then just refocus until it starts firing again. I suggest that while you are walking around with the wired remote locked and in your shirt pocket that you manually focus your lens to infinity or minimum focus so that you don't get the camera firing if something comes into focus that you are not trying to get an image of.

If you are going to be shooting from a tripod at hummingbirds approaching a feeder, set your continuous shooting to HI. Pre-focus the lens (don't forget to press the lens lock button) in the area that the future hummingbird will be approaching. Press and lcok the wired remote. Sit back and wait. hopefully a hummingbird will come under the center focus point in the plane of focus and trigger the camera.

If you are going to be shooting at a future subject that will be in a certain place (hummingbird landing on a branch, bird on a rock, bird on a log, bird entering or leaving a nest, hole, etc., then set Continuous Shooting to HI. Pre-focus on the branch, rock, or area where the future subject will be. Then slightly move your lens pointing position (left, right, up, or down) so that the camera does not sense focus. Press and lock the wired remote. Now when that future subject comes into the frame, hopefully it will trigger the camera because it has come into focus. It will continue to fire as long as the subject remians. It will stop firing when the subject leaves. It will start firing again if another future subject comes into the frame under the center point and in the plane of focus. It will continue in like manner until you stop the procedure or the battery runs out.

I hope I explained that well enough to be understood.

Below are eight images that I took with the Sigma 500mm f4.5 lens using a couple of the methods described above. The first two images are not sharp but I just wanted to show that the method works. If I had sit there a bit longer I am sure I would have gotten a few sharp hummingbirds in flight images.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,655
Like?
Re: MightyMike (and others) CIF with AF lens.
In reply to brandrx, Aug 17, 2013

Thanks for posting this Ron

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Like?
Mike...
In reply to MightyMike, Aug 17, 2013

MightyMike wrote:

You're welcome Mike.

I guess no one else finds this useful.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,847Gear list
Like?

That calls for a bookmark

Thank you Ron.

Nic

-- hide signature --

History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilbur
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984
- - -

soheil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081Gear list
Like?

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the technical DIYs you've been doing lately. Do you think messing up with the two contacts that works with SDM, can force the body to use screw driving motor?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +18 more
brandrx
Like?
soheil...
In reply to soheil, Aug 17, 2013

soheil wrote:

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the technical DIYs you've been doing lately. Do you think messing up with the two contacts that works with SDM, can force the body to use screw driving motor?.

No. Been there and tried that many different ways. Cannot be done.

However, some folks have hacked the firmware. See the link below.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50559399

Personally, I have not tried to hack the firmware. Even after reading the instructions given I would not even know how to begin.

I bought myself an extra K10D that I installed firmware 1.20 on and it now has screwdrive for SDM lenses. Any newer firmware than 1.20 on the K10D gives you SDM drive and you cannot revert back to screwdrive.

Also, for what it's worth, the K100D (not the K100D Super) has screwdrive for SDM lnses.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Nicols
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
Re: Mike...

brandrx wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

You're welcome Mike.

You are definitively wrong, Ron! 

Excellent explanation!

Cheers - Klaus

Nicols's gear list:Nicols's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +10 more
brandrx
Like?
Klaus...
In reply to Nicols, Aug 17, 2013

Nicols wrote:

brandrx wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

You're welcome Mike.

You are definitively wrong, Ron! 

LOL.

Then you might also find the following interesting:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51999338

Excellent explanation!

Thanks.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

brandrx
Like?
Nic...
In reply to solarider, Aug 17, 2013

solarider wrote:

That calls for a bookmark

A book mark doesn't make an image. You have to actually do it yourself to see how it works.

You might also be interested in the following:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51999338

Thank you Ron.

You're welcome Nic.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,909Gear list
Like?

Very interesting Ron  I wonder if that would work with my Q and Photosniper, albeit with a wireless remote control?  Hmmmmm .... something to think about

Cheers,

Jack

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax K-r Pentax Q7 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
brandrx
Like?
Jack...
In reply to Jack Simpson, Aug 17, 2013

Jack Simpson wrote:

Very interesting Ron  I wonder if that would work with my Q and Photosniper, albeit with a wireless remote control?  Hmmmmm .... something to think about

Since the Q does not support catch-in-focusing then I don't thinks so Jack.

However, have you ever wished that the K-01, Optio, Q, Q7, Q10, etc. had a place to plug in a wired remote so you could control the shutter from the back of the camera or from a long distance away. There is a simple way to make a wired IR remote.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51967953

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,854Gear list
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Aug 18, 2013

Ron,  Thank you for the CIF tips.  It is nice to know this thread is here in case I run across such a lens I want to use later on.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,909Gear list
Like?
Re: Jack...
In reply to brandrx, Aug 18, 2013

brandrx wrote:

Jack Simpson wrote:

Very interesting Ron I wonder if that would work with my Q and Photosniper, albeit with a wireless remote control? Hmmmmm .... something to think about

Since the Q does not support catch-in-focusing then I don't thinks so Jack.

However, have you ever wished that the K-01, Optio, Q, Q7, Q10, etc. had a place to plug in a wired remote so you could control the shutter from the back of the camera or from a long distance away. There is a simple way to make a wired IR remote.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51967953

Cool ... thanks Ron

Cheers,

jack

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax K-r Pentax Q7 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
brandrx
Like?
Petroglyph...
In reply to Petroglyph, Aug 18, 2013

Petroglyph wrote:

Ron,  Thank you for the CIF tips.  It is nice to know this thread is here in case I run across such a lens I want to use later on.

Petroglyph,

Today I was testing this method with the Sigma 300/2.8 APO EX DG.

I once used this method with the Pentax DAL 55-300mm also. It worked pretty good.

I also once used this method with the DA 55-300mm ED lens. One thing about that lens is you don't have to press the lens lock button since that lens has quick shift focusing.

Sometimes it is fun for me to just play around to see what works.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads