Canon 6D and 1.2 lenses, how's the focusing?

Started Aug 16, 2013 | Discussions
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Canon 6D and 1.2 lenses, how's the focusing?
Aug 16, 2013

How is the 6D with 1.2 lenses on non center focus points? I know using the center and recompose is a high miss rate at such a shallow depth.

On my 5dmk3, there is plenty of outside crosstype points to use.

I own both the 50/85II 1.2s.

clarkent1234
Like?
Re: Canon 6D and 1.2 lenses, how's the focusing?
In reply to clarkent1234, Aug 16, 2013

Nobody uses the 6D with the 50mm 1.2 or the 85mm 1.2?

Someone help me out here plz lol

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
In reply to clarkent1234, Aug 16, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

I am not sure how many 6D owners also have the 50mm 1.2 lens or the 85mm 1.2 lens and perhaps that is why you have not had any responses so far. I don't have either of those because the 1.4 suffices for my use and I am unwilling to pay the premium for the 1/2 stop or so of aperture.

However the 50mm 1.4 works just fine with my 5D3. Of course that does not answer your question since it is a different camera and different lens. Sorry.

clarkent1234
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Aug 16, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

clarkent1234 wrote:

I am not sure how many 6D owners also have the 50mm 1.2 lens or the 85mm 1.2 lens and perhaps that is why you have not had any responses so far. I don't have either of those because the 1.4 suffices for my use and I am unwilling to pay the premium for the 1/2 stop or so of aperture.

However the 50mm 1.4 works just fine with my 5D3. Of course that does not answer your question since it is a different camera and different lens. Sorry.

yea that was my thinking as well. I got nothing against the several amazing 1.4s out there, even the manual focus rokinon is an amazing lens.

i'll take my question elsewhere, possibly my lenses to a store to try them out on a 6d.

MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
In reply to clarkent1234, Aug 17, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

i'll take my question elsewhere, possibly my lenses to a store to try them out on a 6d.

That is the action that ended up convincing me to buy a 5D3. I took my Canon 100-400 and a 1.4 TC to the local camera store and found out that it (the 5D3) would focus with the 100-400/TC combo. I was so startled when the camera focused properly (my 7D would not) that I decided to sell my 7D and buy the 5D3.

So the story is a warning ...  

clarkent1234
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Aug 17, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

That is the action that ended up convincing me to buy a 5D3. I took my Canon 100-400 and a 1.4 TC to the local camera store and found out that it (the 5D3) would focus with the 100-400/TC combo. I was so startled when the camera focused properly (my 7D would not) that I decided to sell my 7D and buy the 5D3.

So the story is a warning ...  

Oh right on!

It's a beast of a camera that's for sure.

Philippe Castagna
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?

clarkent1234 wrote:

How is the 6D with 1.2 lenses on non center focus points? I know using the center and recompose is a high miss rate at such a shallow depth.

I had no issue with my 6D and the 50 f/1.2 lent by one of my friend who has it.

I got great results and it was a pleasure to use it.

50mm is a bit narrow for my style of photo and I'm waiting patiently on the new 35mm f/1.4 L II which should arrived I do not know when (I bought the 40mm pancake instead and for the price it's just top! )

but the quality of the 50mm f/1.2 is great and the focus is fast and accurate with the 6D

-- hide signature --
clarkent1234
Like?
In reply to Philippe Castagna, Aug 17, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

50mm is a bit narrow for my style of photo and I'm waiting patiently on the new 35mm f/1.4 L II which should arrived I do not know when (I bought the 40mm pancake instead and for the price it's just top! )

but the quality of the 50mm f/1.2 is great and the focus is fast and accurate with the 6D

-- hide signature --

Oh good to hear. Thanks.

And nothing wrong with the current 35L could be a tad sharper at 1.4. But still regarded as one of top canon lenses ever. Buy it used for cheap, and sell it when the new one comes out.

I love mine. I only own the 35/50/85 lenses.

William DIllard
Senior MemberPosts: 2,463Gear list
Like?

clarkent1234 wrote:

I often shoot with the 50 1.2 and I find it to be close to perfect on my 6D. When I used the original 5D I seldom used the center point because of focus shift but the 6D seems to work well with the lens. I do not even think about the focus point except for compositional reasons. This was taken with the 50L using the center focus point.

William DIllard's gear list:William DIllard's gear list
Tokina AF-X Pro 16-50mm f/2.8 DX
Philippe Castagna
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?

clarkent1234 wrote:

clarkent1234 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Oh good to hear. Thanks.

And nothing wrong with the current 35L could be a tad sharper at 1.4. But still regarded as one of top canon lenses ever. Buy it used for cheap, and sell it when the new one comes out.

I love mine. I only own the 35/50/85 lenses.

True but it's no used equipment sold really where I'm leaving so the second hand market is a bit difficult for me...

will see by Christmas if nothing is coming or announced to replace it I will buy the original one 

for now I just enjoy the 40mm f/2.8 which is just a pleasure to use due to the small size and the image quality.

-- hide signature --
clarkent1234
Like?
In reply to William DIllard, Aug 17, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

I often shoot with the 50 1.2 and I find it to be close to perfect on my 6D. When I used the original 5D I seldom used the center point because of focus shift but the 6D seems to work well with the lens. I do not even think about the focus point except for compositional reasons. This was taken with the 50L using the center focus point.

Good stuff and a great image!, thanks for the input.

Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,474Gear list
Like?
In reply to clarkent1234, Aug 19, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

Tried the 50mm 1.2L on my 6D, focusing was quick and spot-on almost on all focus points.  Did not purchase because I have the same experience with my 50mm 1.4 USM.  Sensitivity to lowlight is great.

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads