Question about filters

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
jers
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?
Question about filters
8 months ago

I am thinking about buying, a clear B+W filter, for my X-E1. Is it really worth the extra money?

pnarruda
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: Question about filters
In reply to jers, 8 months ago

If I were to put a filter in front of my lens, I'd want it to be the best possible filter, optically speaking, so as to not handicap the wonderfully made Fuji lenses. B+W would be my choice as well as I know it delivers that quality.

P.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,055Gear list
Like?

Make sure the filter is multicoated else you can get reflections from lights.

Generally speaking the best protection is a hood, not a filter. A hood aborbs shock, a filter transfers shock. But a filter is useful in foul weather. I use a protective filter once or twice year at most. I use a hood 99% of the time

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
rlx
rlx
Regular MemberPosts: 180
Like?
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,897Gear list
Like?

As I recall, (and I can't re-read the link because it's in Polish) the Opticzyne tests on various filters found that they vary quite a bit and unfortunately that you don't always get what you pay for.

There is a body of thought around that one should protect by using a filter only when there's an identified need for protection (like blown sand and sea spray).  There are two flaws in this argument.  One is that this doesn't protect against unidentified threats.  (No threat at a family dinner?  Try a well aimed handful of spaghetti bolognaise as you snap baby Johnny).  The other is that if the images are good enough (for you/your client) with the filter on when there is a threat, why aren't they good enough at other times?

My recommendation is to test your own filter if you want to be completely confident.  Then you're not reliant on anyone else's tests - you're evaluating the one you're actually going to use.  No theory, no opinion - your lens, your filter.  I'd be tempted to get a higher grade filter from one of the standard lines like Hoya and try it.  Set your camera on a tripod and take a set of identical shots with and without.  Pixel peep, and you've got your answer.

I used to do this rigorously but got tired of it because most of the time I couldn't see any difference.  I have had many landscape photos published and almost all were taken with a lens with a filter on for protection.  I don't publish much any more but I still use them -  I feel a bit more confident of protecting my lenses when I do use a filter - I still do a lot of hiking and outdoor photography.

I agree with the earlier posters sentiment about hoods - they're good.  It's not either/or though - you can use both and in some cases that may be worthwhile.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,235Gear list
Like?
Filter Quick Release System/Question about filters

jers wrote:

I am thinking about buying, a clear B+W filter, for my X-E1. Is it really worth the extra money?

Heliopan is on even ground with B&W and maybe a notch better.

Here are the filters I'd suggest: All clear and not the UV versions.

You have to read the details carefully past if the filter is multicoated or not. Some have a slim profile that is good but may also not have front threads. The downside to that is you can not attach the lens cap or stack a filter for an additional effect

B+W Clear MRC 007M Filter

B+W XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filter

B+W Clear MRC 007M Extra Wide Filter

Heliopan protection filter (I use these filters when possible over B&W)

B&H stock code# HEPMC58 ■ Mfr # 705800

Heliopan

• SH-PMC 16 Layer Multi-Coating
  • Less Flare / Increased Color Saturation
  • Dust, Moisture Repellent
  • Use for General Front Element Protection
  • Rugged Brass Filter Ring
  • Slim Mount Design/Retains Front Threads
  • High-Quality Schott Glass
  • Lifetime Warranty
 ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
TitusXIII
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?
Re: Filter Quick Release System/Question about filters
In reply to ryan2007, 8 months ago

B+W is the best choice.

I never take it off my X100.

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Pentax Optio W90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388Gear list
Like?

I use B+W UV Haze MRC on every lens I have owned, regardless of the system.  The last test I did I placed several brands on a pure white sheet of paper.  Only the B+W was totally clear with the rest having some yellowish cast to them in a greater or lesser extent.

When I toured Egypt I ruined two B+W filters with grit cleaning swirls.  Better the filter than the coatings on a lens although Egypt was an extreme example.  I want my len$e$ to last a long time, and should I want to sell them, to be as cherry as possible at that time.  The B+W is easy to clean, perhaps the easiest (ever try to clean finger prints off a Hoya?) does not flare and does seem to provide a haze reduction in actual shooting.

Other opinions will vary.

-- hide signature --

www.MartinDareff.com

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
JimLong
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?

Lenstip published a comparison article on uv filters which you can find here:

http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?art=113

I believe they have done an update to their tests.  You will have to search the site.

JimLong
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?

Sorry, I see that this is the same article referenced earlier from a different web site.

WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,338
Like?

jers wrote:

I suppose that depends on what you are doing. I am firmly planted in the no filter camp, except when I think there can be damage done to my lens.

I photograph a lot or welding procedures and that is a time you defiantly want a clear glass filter. welding or grinding spatter will ruin the front element of a lens in a nanosecond. A promaster filter does not cost much & is expendable once it gets spattered. I have a few around here someplace

If I was to go to the desert I might consider a filter if the sand was blowing. But other than that I tend to not be too concerned about it. But I always carry one to fit my lenses in my daily work bag just in case I need one for the aforementioned reason. I guess in the long run, it is like being sick & having chicken soup, it cant hurt.

-- hide signature --

Warren

Alexander2505
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?

Goog filter even improves picture and saves glass. Nobody knows what it will be the next moment. If you do not care, just forget it and enjoy your camera as it is.

Alexander2505's gear list:Alexander2505's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
laueddy
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?

jers wrote:

I have had B+W MRC & Hoya MRC, and the new Hoya HD/HD2 are by far one of the very best filter I had.  Especially with Fuji which I don't normally have lens cap, the HD filter can stay clean, and hardly get dirty, and super easy to clean.

laueddy's gear list:laueddy's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
neighkon
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
In reply to laueddy, 8 months ago

laueddy wrote:

jers wrote:

I have had B+W MRC & Hoya MRC, and the new Hoya HD/HD2 are by far one of the very best filter I had. Especially with Fuji which I don't normally have lens cap, the HD filter can stay clean, and hardly get dirty, and super easy to clean.

Finally! Somebody who actually has experience with B+W and HD2 filters. So are these the clear filters (007 and protector)? I recently purchased a pro1 and returned it since it was a pain to clean. So which is easier to clean the B+W or the HD2?

Thx!

24hrexposure
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 8 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

My recommendation is to test your own filter if you want to be completely confident. Then you're not reliant on anyone else's tests - you're evaluating the one you're actually going to use. No theory, no opinion - your lens, your filter. I'd be tempted to get a higher grade filter from one of the standard lines like Hoya and try it. Set your camera on a tripod and take a set of identical shots with and without. Pixel peep, and you've got your answer.

This is great advice. There is not substitute for testing the actual equipment you'll be using.

24hrexposure's gear list:24hrexposure's gear list
Gimp +1 more
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388Gear list
Like?
In reply to neighkon, 8 months ago

In my experience the B+W was easy to clean and the Hoya was a PIA. Once burned twice shy, never bought another Hoya and use B+W on every lens for what I see as miniscule saturation improvement and lens protection.  There are times when you can have a hood on and times when you can't. On tours and trips you may be pulling the camera out and putting it back in a bag many times an hour all day long....  do you want to use a hood you have to reverse to put the camera in a bag, only to have to reverse again to use? Things happen, things get knocked against things. ...  sure a hood is protection but do you travel with it on? Eventually even the lens cap will mark the threads in the lens. I'd rather have a filter there knowing nothing can touch or mark the glass coatings.

-- hide signature --

www.MartinDareff.com

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
neighkon
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
In reply to Travelshooter, 8 months ago

Travelshooter wrote:

In my experience the B+W was easy to clean and the Hoya was a PIA. Once burned twice shy, never bought another Hoya and use B+W on every lens for what I see as miniscule saturation improvement and lens protection. There are times when you can have a hood on and times when you can't. On tours and trips you may be pulling the camera out and putting it back in a bag many times an hour all day long.... do you want to use a hood you have to reverse to put the camera in a bag, only to have to reverse again to use? Things happen, things get knocked against things. ... sure a hood is protection but do you travel with it on? Eventually even the lens cap will mark the threads in the lens. I'd rather have a filter there knowing nothing can touch or mark the glass coatings.

-- hide signature --

www.MartinDareff.com

So are you comparing the B+W 007 vs. the Hoya pro1 or HD/HD2?

Like I said on my previous post, the pro1 was a pain to clean. now I'm choosing between the HD2 and the 007.

One more thing to add about not being to have your hood on all the time to protect your front element. I don't always have my SB flash with me all the time so I have to use the pop-up flash. Of course with some lens/hood combinations the hood gets in the way. I've had to retake a lot of shots when I forget to remove the hood.

Alexander2505
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?

Hi everybody here!

I had Hoya and BW uv / protection filters. They are sertainly good.

Recently wanted to buy uv / protection for my new X E1 and compared Hoya with so called NiSi  DW1 super wide band pro multi... and found NiSi, at list visually, much more accurate and precise, also MC looks more serious. Looked in internet and did not find much info about NiSi: just new player, wants to break down into the market and makes all possible for that (quality controll, high production costs, low pricing etc.)

We know how it used to be with brands, they do best for us at the beginning of carrier, then usually care about costs, less about us and not to much about competition.

By now I'm pretty satisfied with NiSi, and would appreciate very much if someone share his experience, if any, with this new brand.

Have a nice day!

Alexander2505's gear list:Alexander2505's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads