Sunflowers in N. California?

Started Aug 15, 2013 | Discussions
rrockley
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
Sunflowers in N. California?
Aug 15, 2013

Can anyone share some locations in Northern California where you can see fields of sunflowers? I went out last weekend in Napa and didn't find any. I know there must be some good fields somewhere near. Googling I've only some up with some locations near Sacramento. Thanks in advance for any help.

rrockley's gear list:rrockley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
bradevans
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunflowers in N. California?
In reply to rrockley, Aug 15, 2013

You might also ask in the landscape nature forums

bradevans's gear list:bradevans's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Atwater
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrockley, Aug 16, 2013

I recently drove past a field of cultivated sunflowers somewhere between Hollister and San Juan Bautista on Hwy 152(6?). The plants were about 3-4 feet tall, and racing past in my car, they looked like they were more green plant than flower head. I expect to be out that way again in a couple of weeks, and I could get a more exact location, if you're interested.

Atwater's gear list:Atwater's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859Gear list
Like?
LJB farm in Gilroy

call them first to make sure the flowers are still in bloom in this late summer

http://www.examiner.com/article/sunflower-fields-forever

Cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +7 more
Clark666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253Gear list
Like?
 Clark666's gear list:Clark666's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
rrockley
Like?
In reply to Clark666, Aug 16, 2013

Thanks- I'll look into a couple of those.

So you think the flowers will all be gone by now?

Olympus E-M1
Clark666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrockley, Aug 22, 2013

Yes they are.  There are fields of them grown by farmers, they are being harvested now. Only a few homes have some in their gardens

Clark666's gear list:Clark666's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
rrockley
Like?
11 months later
In reply to Clark666, 4 months ago

... I drove up to Yolo county as you suggested. Unfortunately this year these is a serious drought in CA. Normally you would find fields of sunflowers, but what I actually saw was field after field of browned, dried up, sorry looking failed sunflowers. The ground was dried up clay as hard as concrete. This is the reality of the drought for the farmers in this part of California - dead fields and millions of lost cash crop dollars. Very sad.

After about an hour, and half a dozen such fields, I decided to give up and come home. Just as I was about to turn onto the highway, I saw this field of yellow to my left. This farmer had irrigation. What a difference water makes.

I'm glad I saw this field. Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Olympus E-M1
eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859Gear list
Like?
Re: 11 months later
In reply to rrockley, 4 months ago

rrockley wrote:

... I drove up to Yolo county as you suggested. Unfortunately this year these is a serious drought in CA. Normally you would find fields of sunflowers, but what I actually saw was field after field of browned, dried up, sorry looking failed sunflowers. The ground was dried up clay as hard as concrete. This is the reality of the drought for the farmers in this part of California - dead fields and millions of lost cash crop dollars. Very sad.

And this after the heat and draught of 2012.
But of course there is no such thing as global warming

After about an hour, and half a dozen such fields, I decided to give up and come home. Just as I was about to turn onto the highway, I saw this field of yellow to my left. This farmer had irrigation. What a difference water makes.

I'm glad I saw this field. Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Nice pictures!

I like these pictures best, the fist one better than the second, because of less saturation.

Thanks for sharing.Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads