Hawaii Bound: Olympus Stylus TG-2 iHS compared with XZ-1

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
gracejourney
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Hawaii Bound: Olympus Stylus TG-2 iHS compared with XZ-1
11 months ago

Getting for my trip to Kauai and need an underwater camera to take along with my E-5 and XZ-1. I like what I see regarding the TG-2 but wanted feedback from owners or those who have used this camera.

My questions are for those who have used both TG-2 and XZ-1.

1. What are the main features you like about this camera? Dislike?

2. Are the functions and features of TG-2 similar to the XZ-1? Shoot in raw? Manual features? Art filters?

Thanks for your feedback.

-- hide signature --

DW
Georgia
E-5: E-3: E-1(x2): XZ-1: FL 50R:12-60mm f2.8: 50 f2: Ex25: EC-14: EC-20: 8mm 3.5: 14-54 f2.8: 50-200 f2.8: 11-22 f.2.8

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mittskitts
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Re: Hawaii Bound: Olympus Stylus TG-2 iHS compared with XZ-1
In reply to gracejourney, 11 months ago

You can find the answers to the technical questions quite quickly yourself if you download the PDF owner's manuals for both cameras and do all the comparing you want.

Mittskitts's gear list:Mittskitts's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus SH-50 Olympus PEN E-PL1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 882
Like?

Hi gracejourney,

I would get the underwater housing for the XZ-1, rather than one of the outdoor P&S cams. It will go far deeper than the TG-2 if you plan to scuba dive and an external flash can be added which helps with color correction underwater .while I have not used theTG-2 I have compared the XZ-1 to the the Panasonic and Nikon versions and theXZ-1 is so much better in image quality.

For video however I found the Nikon AW100 better.If you are only snorkeling, consider a Dicapac  housing for the XZ-1 , I have used one for over a year with an old Canon IXUS70 and performance has exceeded expectations especially for the $40 I paid for it!

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131
Like?

gracejourney wrote:

Getting for my trip to Kauai and need an underwater camera to take along with my E-5 and XZ-1. I like what I see regarding the TG-2 but wanted feedback from owners or those who have used this camera.

My questions are for those who have used both TG-2 and XZ-1.

1. What are the main features you like about this camera? Dislike?

2. Are the functions and features of TG-2 similar to the XZ-1? Shoot in raw? Manual features? Art filters?

Thanks for your feedback.

-- hide signature --

DW
Georgia
E-5: E-3: E-1(x2): XZ-1: FL 50R:12-60mm f2.8: 50 f2: Ex25: EC-14: EC-20: 8mm 3.5: 14-54 f2.8: 50-200 f2.8: 11-22 f.2.8

I LOVE the FCON-T01 fisheye converter for the tg2. Worth every penny.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads