Off Brand Flash And High Speed Sync

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
Off Brand Flash And High Speed Sync
11 months ago

Just wondering if High Speed Sync is brand specific (like TTL metering) or if it works with all brands. If I get a flash like the Nikon specific Vivitar 483 or Yongnuo 560 and use it on an Olympus E-3 will the FP Sync/HSS work correctly?

Thanks,

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690
Like?
Re: Off Brand Flash And High Speed Sync
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, 11 months ago

Hi, You are right to check carefully.

Certainly many off-brand 3rd party Speedlites that claim 'compatibility', will not offer HSS or Nikon's FP Sync.

Off Yongnuo's output, some offer HSS & some don't. So check very carefully.

Many Metz units include HSS.

Nissin's 866 Mark II includes it.

As does Phottix's new 'Mitros' Speedlite.

Also 'within brand' but discontinued Speedlites usually will include HSS. eg Canon's old 550Ex  or Nikon's SB 800 include HSS.

If you get into off camera flash, note that only a minority of RF triggers support HSS (usually those that also offer E/ITTL). Then you might wish to learn about the different but related 'Hypersync' or 'Overdrive sync' etcetc.

I think Mitros for Nikon is available! Cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, 11 months ago

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure the flash has the function. I believe my triggers (Yongnuo YN-622N's) have HSS capabilities.

My real question though is whether a flash with Nikon TTL function (e.g. Nissin Di866 or even Nikon SB-910) would be able to work in HSS mode (or whatever you want to call it) on a non-Nikon camera like my E-3.

ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690
Like?
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, 11 months ago

" .. be able to work in HSS mode (or whatever you want to call it) on a non-Nikon camera like my E-3 .. "

Hi, Almost certainly not.

Do investigate the 'Early trigger - Long burn hack' though, because there may be ways to use your Mitros for Nikon off-cam, set to M 1/1 power, even from an (?Olympus) E3, but extracting an early trigger signal from an Olympus on-cam speedlight!

Doug Pardee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,444Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, 11 months ago

ScratchDisk wrote:

Off Yongnuo's output, some offer HSS & some don't. So check very carefully.

I believe that the 500EX, 568EX, and 568EX II currently are the only Yongnuo flashes with HSS.

-- hide signature --

The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Snapseed +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads