Trying to fix photos

Started Aug 15, 2013 | Questions
Jared B
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Trying to fix photos
Aug 15, 2013

I don't think there's anything I can do, but I just wanted to check anyway.

I just got back from vacation and took a lot of photos with a Canon S90.  I was looking at the photos and they didn't look that great.  I looked at the photo metadata and saw that the ISO for all of them were 640.  I must have accidentally changed the setting.  Normally, I set ISO to Auto, and since they were daytime outdoor (most landscape and cityscapes) photos, the ISO would usually be 100 or 200.

I have the RAW of the photos... is there anything I can do?  I suspect not, since the ISO determined the shutter speed and the aperture.  I do have Lightroom at work that I can use, but I don't have much experience with it beyond using the library and converting to JPG.

I know with higher ISO, there is more noise and graininess.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm kind of kicking myself.  I had taken so many pictures that day since it was such a picturesque site.

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,184
Like?
What do you want to end up with?
In reply to Jared B, Aug 15, 2013

It seems to me that sending some frames to Costco with instructions for Costco to make adjustments should result in nice 8x10 prints.

Is your concern so far based just on just thinking 640 is too high, or is it based on looking carefully at a couple of prints?

Got any samples for us?

BAK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,686Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to fix photos

ISO 640 really isn't that high; they should look fine. I keep my cameras on 400 as a general default. I shoot professionally and often shoot at 1600 and get stuff published all the time in newspapers, magazines and the web that looks just dandy.

Since you shot RAW, you should have a vast amount of control of each image when editing on your computer. RAW images often look pretty lame until you start working them over, then they really shine.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Jared B
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Aug 15, 2013

Thanks for the reassurance.  They do look grainier (eg. the sky) and the photos don't seem to "pop" out as much.  Though I'm just an amateur so I can't really put my finger on why it doesn't exactly look as good and maybe partly it's psychological.  I read up on using noise reduction in Lightroom so I've been trying that.  The "luminance" function does get rid of the noise though the image looks soft afterwards.  These are all shots taken in the daytime so if I had used Auto, the ISO would have been 100 or so.

MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,765Gear list
Like?

It is almost impossible to make suggestions without seeing a sample of one of the photos--can you post one Here?  Even if you asked for help in the Retouch forum the first question would be can you please post a sample.  There are lots of things that can be done to "save" photos especially if starting with a RAW file.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Globemstr3
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?

If youve got RAW data certainly this is not hopeless. Take a breath itll work out you can save them! Shoot you can save crappy JPEGS. I noticed you said you had access to Lightroom at work. That can be a hassle especially if you dont really know how to use it. I might suggest if you dont mind downloading LightZone. Its free and any changes you make will not effect your original. It is a VERY powerfull editing software tool thats free and you can edit on your time. Not the companys. Just a thought. Gotta see some pics though your not happy with is the bottom line. Lot of us in here like the challenge and of course its YOUR pic.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Globemstr3's gear list:Globemstr3's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Nikon D3100
Jared B
Like?

Okay, it's tough to pick 2 pictures which seem representative of the problem... I guess I'll pick one with more sky since that seems more pixelated to me. The photos just look different to me than my usual ISO 100 ones which seem more crisp and sharp.

I agree Lightroom is probably not great for an amateur like me, but the computer lab I work at is free all evening, so it's handy and I can stay after work to use the other programs. I have Photoshop at home but don't usually use it on my own photos.

I'm going to try posting 2 samples and hope it works.  Are these too small to see the noise?

MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,765Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jared B, Aug 16, 2013

Jared,

I tried doing this last night but ran into some problems on my new Smugmug site and ran out of time to post my answer to your thread--better late than never.  The only changes i made was to use layers in PSCS5 and run NeatImage on the sky portions of the two photos.  You'll have to judge if it made any difference??

Murry

Neat Image applied to sky

Neat Image applied to sky

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
In reply to Jared B, Aug 17, 2013

Try the retouching forum. The guys there can do some amazing recovery, especially since you have raw files.

Globemstr3
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jared B, Aug 17, 2013

I did this in a minute or so in Lightzone using layers. I could not get the noise out like Murry did on the water pic though. I just wonder though on this pic if it was really overcast. Im also concerned there may be halo ing on the buildings roofline. Dont really know the building. But yes pics can be easily saved and I was working with a jpeg.

Dont know if its stone caps on the roofline or Halo

-- hide signature --

Mark

Globemstr3's gear list:Globemstr3's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Nikon D3100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads