NX Macro Focus Issue

Started Aug 14, 2013 | Discussions
OtterBoxing
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
NX Macro Focus Issue
Aug 14, 2013

Hi there,

I seem to be having an issue with the focus on the NX1000. I have the standard 20-50mm Lens.
I'm new to the whoe camera/photography thing, but I find that the camera is not focusing on the closest object.... Instead it is automatically focusing on a further object.

Especially when the object itself is off center. I tried to adjust the target zoom point and it just refuses to take the shot.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it properly, but I have attached a few samples of what I mean.

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong please let me know.. I did purchase the camera used, so I really hope I didnt end up buying a defective unit.

Thanks for your help in advance

Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
Re: NX Macro Focus Issue
In reply to OtterBoxing, Aug 15, 2013

OtterBoxing wrote:

Hi there,

I seem to be having an issue with the focus on the NX1000. I have the standard 20-50mm Lens.
I'm new to the whoe camera/photography thing, but I find that the camera is not focusing on the closest object.... Instead it is automatically focusing on a further object.

How far is the object you are trying to focus on? The specs say the MFD (minimum focusing distance) for that lens is 0.28 metre (11 inches). That is probably at 20mm, so the MFD at the telephoto end of the range would probably be greater.

Especially when the object itself is off center. I tried to adjust the target zoom point and it just refuses to take the shot.

That commonly happens in low light or when there it nothing contrasty enough within the target area for the AF to lock onto. You could try setting the AF Area to Multi AF but that is more prone to selecting the wrong object. As a last resort, try manual focus.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it properly, but I have attached a few samples of what I mean.

Samples are not showing for me. I just see empty boxes. I have a fast internet connection and have been waiting for ages but the images don't show up. Could just be my browser. I will reboot in a minute and try with Firefox from Ubuntu

Edit:  It seems to be a forum problem.  The site is incredibly slow at the moment.  I can now see the exif but not the images yet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
techmine
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?

The kit lens is not great for macro. It's limited by the high minimum focus distance. Also it focuses on farther objects even when you are quite far, as noted due to low light.. I am using manual focus more and more for closer subjects but its hard to do when you don't have a viewfinder.
--
Enjoying Digital age!

techmine's gear list:techmine's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix P300 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D40 Nikon D300S +8 more
nx200USER1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,039
Like?

OtterBoxing wrote:

Thats a function of the AF Priority setting under 'custom' in menu (nx200). If 'on' then the camera will not take the shot if lens cannot focus. Turn it off and the camera will take the photo regardless of focus.

Always remember the nx1000 sensor is a CDAF, contrast detect auto focus. As stated above, if there is not enough light on the subject of focus to create enough contrast for the sensor to detect then auto focus will have problems. Even if there seems to be ample light, sometimes the camera will not focus on an area thats the same colour.

OtterBoxing
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to nx200USER1, Aug 15, 2013

Thanks for all the insightful information guys... Clearly I have a lot to learn.
It turns out, I was definitely trying from too close. I guess I was just used to the way my point and shoot focused.

Does anyone know if there's an article or video tutorial on how to get the most out of this camera (other than the manual)?

I appreciate the time and help.

(it does seem that the camera has a slight legitimate issue with the top dials, when I'm on Program, and I reach for the shutter button, sometimes it switches between some of the other modes, and then right back to Program. It only happens sometimes, so its not too bad, as long as it doesn't get worse over time, I can probably live with it.)

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,091Gear list
Like?
In reply to OtterBoxing, Aug 16, 2013

My experience is that the NX cameras are faster and more accurate in focus than many competitors.  You can make that focus box quite small and it works well.

NX1000 Kit Lens From quite close.

atarget
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to OtterBoxing, Aug 16, 2013

OtterBoxing wrote:

(it does seem that the camera has a slight legitimate issue with the top dials, when I'm on Program, and I reach for the shutter button, sometimes it switches between some of the other modes, and then right back to Program. It only happens sometimes, so its not too bad, as long as it doesn't get worse over time, I can probably live with it.)

It's commonly knows behavior of NX1000. Nothing to worry about. Samsung should address it in next firmware  update. Even if they do not, I can live with it -  quality of this little machine is astonishing.

As as AF goes, just learn to focus manually. 90% of my lenses are fully manual and I love it.

nx200USER1
Like?
In reply to Gesture, Aug 17, 2013

Thats a great example shot Gesture. Good clarity and detail.

nx200USER1
Like?
In reply to OtterBoxing, Aug 17, 2013

OtterBoxing wrote:

Does anyone know if there's an article or video tutorial on how to get the most out of this camera (other than the manual)?

yup, several things, youtube videos, reading other peoples posts on the internet. I even remember a camera shop like Adorama has a learning center,

http://www.adorama.com/alc/

but most importantly is your own tutorial, its called a fresh set of battery(s), a blank sd card, some time on the weekend or your version of a weekend then go go go. You cant go wrong cos there is no such thing as having to spend money developing your photos to see your results.

humour me and try a different sd card. I know it sounds strange and probably a long shot. But thats what I have isolated it down to on my nx200. I experienced (along with others on this forum, do a search) exactly the symptoms that you have reported.

good luck.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads