Ok, here is the breakdown of lens and my honeymoon, Im looking at getting 1 more

Started Aug 14, 2013 | Discussions
ac921ol
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Ok, here is the breakdown of lens and my honeymoon, Im looking at getting 1 more
Aug 14, 2013

Sorry for the long post ahead of time.

I am going on my Honeymoon September 9th.  (thanks for the well wishes everyone)

I am heading to London (1 night) Paris (2 nights) Athens (1 night) Greek Islands (7 nights) London (1 night)

Camera Body- e-620

Lens-  14-42 (kit lens) 40-150mm (kit) 70-300mm, and OM 50mm 1.8 (Made in Japan)

I am looking to have a lens for when we walk around London/Paris/Athens (Day and Night, which i heard the Sigma and the MK2 could both handle one better then the other obviously), and one that I can take good portraits with landscape in the background for the Greek Islands. I was thinking of the Sigma 30mm 1.4 but I already have the 50mm OM, obviously the 30mm with the AF would be nice to have for quick shots and what not, but then for some reason I've been thinking I should focus on finding a 14-54 mk2 instead of investing in the sigma 30mm. I do not plan on taking all of them, unless you guys suggest I do, but I see no need for a 70-300 when I can have the 40-150.

so my question to all of you would be, what lens's should I take?? and which lens should I concentrate on purchasing before??

30mm Sigma or look for a 14-54mm MK2 at a good price??

Since getting my OM 50mm, its been stationary on my 620 if that helps any.

-Thanks again everyone

Silverback46
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Re: Ok, here is the breakdown of lens and my honeymoon, Im looking at getting 1 more
In reply to ac921ol, Aug 14, 2013

If you are shooting a lot in the evening you may find the faster 30mm more useful...but you are on your honeymoon so you may not be out a lot at night! I have the 14-54 mkII and it is an excellent all round performer and stays on my camera more than 50% of the time. I would suggest the 12-60mm which is a fantastic lens but it is harder to find at the low prices you can get a 14-54 at right now. I don't think you would be dissatisfied with the 14-54 and it covers a nice range and produces sharp images.

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
Re: Ok, here is the breakdown of lens and my honeymoon, Im looking at getting 1 more
In reply to ac921ol, Aug 14, 2013

The Honeymoon never ends for Olympus FT owners.

Congratulations.

Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Silverback46, Aug 14, 2013

Silverback46 wrote:

If you are shooting a lot in the evening you may find the faster 30mm more useful...but you are on your honeymoon so you may not be out a lot at night! I have the 14-54 mkII and it is an excellent all round performer and stays on my camera more than 50% of the time. I would suggest the 12-60mm which is a fantastic lens but it is harder to find at the low prices you can get a 14-54 at right now. I don't think you would be dissatisfied with the 14-54 and it covers a nice range and produces harp images.

The 14-54mm is on sale until August 17 for $499, $100 off the regular price.  It is a better lens than the 14-42mm and it may allow you to leave the 40-150mm at home.

Dan
Dan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,309Gear list
Like?
In reply to ac921ol, Aug 15, 2013

I once went to Brugges with only the 50 f2 and came back with some nice images.

In your case and assuming you're a guy I'd pick up the 25 f2.8 pancake, slap it on the E620 and leave everything else at home...I doubt the new Mrs. is going to want to be waiting for her new husband to "get just one more shot".

You're on your honeymoon...if you get one good shot that should do!

Carrying too much gear in Paris just means you'll have it all stolen...lol!

Good luck,

Dan

ac921ol
Like?
so it seems like I should focus on the 14-54mm, and skip out on the 30mm sigma
In reply to Dan, Aug 15, 2013

will the 14-54mm work for low light outside in paris??? I assume Paris is bright during night, most pictures I see they have tons of street lights and what not.

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,943Gear list
Like?

ac921ol wrote:

Sorry for the long post ahead of time.

I am going on my Honeymoon September 9th. (thanks for the well wishes everyone)

I am heading to London (1 night) Paris (2 nights) Athens (1 night) Greek Islands (7 nights) London (1 night)

Camera Body- e-620

Lens- 14-42 (kit lens) 40-150mm (kit) 70-300mm, and OM 50mm 1.8 (Made in Japan)

I am looking to have a lens for when we walk around London/Paris/Athens (Day and Night, which i heard the Sigma and the MK2 could both handle one better then the other obviously), and one that I can take good portraits with landscape in the background for the Greek Islands. I was thinking of the Sigma 30mm 1.4 but I already have the 50mm OM, obviously the 30mm with the AF would be nice to have for quick shots and what not, but then for some reason I've been thinking I should focus on finding a 14-54 mk2 instead of investing in the sigma 30mm. I do not plan on taking all of them, unless you guys suggest I do, but I see no need for a 70-300 when I can have the 40-150.

so my question to all of you would be, what lens's should I take?? and which lens should I concentrate on purchasing before??

30mm Sigma or look for a 14-54mm MK2 at a good price??

Since getting my OM 50mm, its been stationary on my 620 if that helps any.

-Thanks again everyone

Just a question....will you have room for the bride?

Remember, lenses don't talk back, brides do.  

As for the question, it depends on your budget and what you wish to shoot.  In the greek islands, or any scenic location, I would take my 7-14, 14-35, 35-100, 11-22, 12-60 and/or 50-200.  Those are only my preferences, and I would likely not take them all.  I do not do much macro photography, so I have found the ZD 35 and ZD 50 lenses I have stay home on trips.  That again, is nothing more than a personal preference.

Just remember, the best setup is the camera and lens you have with you....

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Craig from Nevada
Like?
Re: so it seems like I should focus on the 14-54mm, and skip out on the 30mm sigma

I think the 14-54mm is a low cost alternative (my own preference is the 12-60mm but that is pricey even on sale--say $899 right now).   The 14-54mm is a tad faster and almost as flexible in terms of focal length.   Take your 620 and the one lens.

The biggest problem you will have with light is the photos in the churches.

I think photos at night will be tough.  Just my two cents.

ac921ol
Like?
and now Im confused. Im just not sure what to do now!!!!
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Aug 15, 2013

14-54mm (day and night)

or

30mm (day and night)

so far it seems like people have mentioned the 14-54mm, not one person mentioned the sigma, lol

Garry Schaefer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, Aug 15, 2013

On trips with my wife I take my E-5 and one lens, my 14-54 Mk1. We both come back happy!

-- hide signature --

Garry

Garry Schaefer's gear list:Garry Schaefer's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Garry Schaefer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
Oops

My reply to Roger was meant for the OP.

-- hide signature --

Garry

Garry Schaefer's gear list:Garry Schaefer's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
CJackJr
Contributing MemberPosts: 908Gear list
Like?
My opinion ...

if it were me, I would take go with the 12-60. I rented one for two trips to Asia and it never left my camera in spite of having the 40-150, 50 f2 and 35 in my bag. It will most likely be my next purchase.

Regards, Conrad

CJackJr's gear list:CJackJr's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-600 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +4 more
ac921ol
Like?
I'd rather buy, and I like how the 14-54 is lighter and I heard it focus'
In reply to CJackJr, Aug 15, 2013

A tad faster then the 12-60 on the e-620. Well it seems like I'm going with a 14-54 and taking a P&S for night time so we can get a nice flash and smaller camera.

Silverback46
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd rather buy, and I like how the 14-54 is lighter and I heard it focus'

You should like the 14-54 II. It is a beautiful lens for the price right now. An added bonus is it focusses not too bad on the m4/3rds cameras. I always wanted to grab 12-60mm but they were often twice the price of a used 14-54 and I already have the 11-22mm. Good luck with your decision and of course the honeymoon!!

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II
rb dwn
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?

I second the 25mm f2.8.  Light as they come, pretty fast and IQ is fine.  Makes a great walkaround combo with the 620.  And it's not expensive.

JiminDenver
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,163Gear list
Like?
go wide

We did 3 days in Dublin, London, Paris and Rome and rarely did the 7-14 leave my camera even though I took a bag full of lenses. I did use a PL 25mm f 1.4 for night shots at times. I never used longer glass as there was no wildlife to see. (winter)

Any of the ultra wides would work. The 11-22 is a great walk around lens, the 12-60 is more versatile and focuses better in low light.

Many churches and attractions do not allow cameras, it doesn't stop the cell phone shots but they know you have a big camera.

-- hide signature --

JimB
Bug Whisperer
Join us in The Weekly Close up every weekend

JiminDenver's gear list:JiminDenver's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +15 more
ac921ol
Like?
Im trying to get the 14-54mm MK2 and the 30mm 1.4 for my trip
In reply to JiminDenver, Aug 15, 2013

seems like Ill have a perfect walk around lens with the 14-54mm mk2 and for the night time, Ill have the perfect lens with the 30mm 1.4....so now it looks like its time to purge some of my extras and start finding some good deals.

thanks to all

Haider
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?

You're not going to be carrying loads of lens around and swapping them. You will have a wife. 14-54mm, a used FL-36r of fleabay and Stofen OmniBounce. Range, DOF control and no-light ability...

ac921ol
Like?
In reply to Haider, Aug 15, 2013

Haider wrote:

You're not going to be carrying loads of lens around and swapping them. You will have a wife. 14-54mm, a used FL-36r of fleabay and Stofen OmniBounce. Range, DOF control and no-light ability...

^ I agree, I wont be switching lens out often if at all if I get the 14-54mm the only time I would think about it is when we walk around at night in Paris or London, I would put the 30mm 1.4 on and just enjoy the stroll. Other then that, I feel as if (from all the comments) the 14-54mm would be stationary on my camera. If I were able to get those 2 lens, I would only bring those 2 on the trip with me, and leave the rest of my arsenal at home

Haider
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?

Hmmm 30mm (60mm in 35mm terms equivalent) might be a bit long. Make sure the internal flash can cover beyond the whole lens. At 28mm on the 14-54 the internal flash leaves a lens shadow you have to zoom a bit but you lose the f2.8 then...Pany Leica 25mm f1.4 is nice but a bit steep...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads