Will the 4/3rds lenses go up in price?

Started Aug 14, 2013 | Discussions
completelyrandomstuff
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
Will the 4/3rds lenses go up in price?
Aug 14, 2013

Hi,

It seems like olympus won't produce a camera for my needs - ie something that can be held comfortably, can autofocus with 4/3rds lenses and costs less than $1500 for a body.

I got 14-54mm I, 11-22mm and 40-150 F3.5-4.5 and I am hoping to get around $600 for the three, which is pretty low compared to MSRPs.

Given that the new OM-D will breathe some life into the 4/3rds lenses, should I wait a couple months with selling them? Do you think the prices will rise?

completelyrandomstuff's gear list:completelyrandomstuff's gear list
Olympus E-510 Pentax K-30 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
Haider
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?
Re: Will the 4/3rds lenses go up in price?
In reply to completelyrandomstuff, Aug 14, 2013

Hi,

It seems like olympus won't produce a camera for my needs - ie something that can be held comfortably, can autofocus with 4/3rds lenses and costs less than $1500 for a body.

I got 14-54mm I, 11-22mm and 40-150 F3.5-4.5 and I am hoping to get around $600 for the three, which is pretty low compared to MSRPs.

Given that the new OM-D will breathe some life into the 4/3rds lenses, should I wait a couple months with selling them? Do you think the prices will rise?

I wouldn't jump the gun, you might as well wait and see...in the longterm you'll probably get more than right now taking into account Toshi's interview.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,935Gear list
Like?
In reply to completelyrandomstuff, Aug 15, 2013

completelyrandomstuff wrote:

Hi,

I found too many cracks in my crystal ball...so I sent it to the old balls home.  In the meantime, I own my lenses for the joy of the hobby, not for their value.  I've picked up several for good prices, and enjoy each one.

The 11-22 is a gem of a lens.  So, I hear, is the 14-54, especially on the E-1.

Good luck which ever way you go.  I just might be interested in the 14-54.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
completelyrandomstuff
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, Aug 15, 2013

I always wanted an E-1, but again purely for nostalgic reasons. So while it does make me sad, I decided that I need something that olympus does not offer. I realized at some point that the four-thirds cameras just don't match the pictures I am taking. The noise in shadows is just killing it. I was waiting for olympus to release a mid-range or entry level body shaped like a dslr with 12-stops dynamic range and a base iso matching an olympus E-300, with live view and more focus points, but they just won't do it.

I will probably go for pentax, because their cheap bodies are very well equipped, weather sealed and have good selection for wide and legacy lenses. That means I can save money on a body and buy lenses, which is always good.

Regarding the 14-54mm it is a very good lens, but 11-22mm is better. The bokeh in 11-22 is smoother, it is more consistent over its (narrow) zoom range and it has a little bit better contrast. My copy of 14-54mm seems to suffer a little at the long end and needs to be stopped down a bit to get the best image quality.

Olympus E-510 Pentax K-30 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,783Gear list
Like?

Yes, prices will rise. Most definitely. They have their peaks and low, the lows being usually right before a new body is released (people seem to be the most anxious and desperate then), and the peaks being in the year after the new body is released.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +36 more
completelyrandomstuff
Like?
In reply to goblin, Aug 15, 2013

Thank you for this insight.

completelyrandomstuff
Like?
Also, consistently with your observation, 7-14mm is going for $800 on ebay

which is really quite tempting.

SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,136Gear list
Like?

Based on this thread the 12-50 price could rise.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51982857

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
completelyrandomstuff
Like?
In reply to SHood, Aug 15, 2013

nice catch! thank you.

joergzielosko
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?

Do you think the prices will rise?

I think the prices will rise for special Four Thirds lenses, but not for all. In particular, I think of the well-regarded SHG lenses 14-35 and 35-100 as well as the 12-60 and the tele primes. All these lenses are unmatched in quality by their Micro Four Thirds counterparts (if they exist at all).

Most of the HG and SG lenses do have comparable counterparts that are smaller and lighter, work without adapter, and provide fast AF with any mFT body. That's why I sold my 14-54 and 40-150 (3.5-4.5) some time ago.

In summary I guess that some Four Thirds specialities (such as the mentioned SGH glass) will sell well. But that is a very low volume market, and I doubt that there will be a large impact on the market for used SG/HG glass.

But that depends on the general market success of the coming OM-D pro. Time will tell, and I would suggest you to wait some months...

joergzielosko's gear list:joergzielosko's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +8 more
completelyrandomstuff
Like?
In reply to Haider, Aug 15, 2013

thank you

citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?

Hi,

I don't think 14-54mm MK I will go up in price.  Most people who want to use it with m4/3 will find MK II much better because it actually can do CDAF reasonably well.  If you don't want to migrate to m4/3, you might able to pick up a MK I for cheap.  MK II does have one more trick over MK I, due to the better aperture diaphragm (more pleasing bokeh).  I heard 11-22mm is a nice lens but I've not used it yet.  40-150mm has never been expensive nor in demand through out the years, so I don't expect it to go up in price, especially there are so many of them on the market.  But if you could get them all for $600, then go for it.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
completelyrandomstuff
Like?
In reply to citizenlouie, Aug 15, 2013

I have all three. I am planning to sell them and get a dSLR that's newer than 5 years, ie not olympus. Average ebay selling prices come to about $600 for the set.

Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?

No.  The only question is whether prices have hit bottom.

Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?
In reply to completelyrandomstuff, Aug 16, 2013

I would have thought the there will be a boost to lenses where there is no equivalent in M43 or there is a significant increase in quality which overrides the larger size.
So your HQ lenses may increase in value though your mk1 14-54mm may be handicapped by the existence of the Mk2 version.

If the new camera does what the rumours suggest it should not make a difference that you have the Mk1 14-54 but potential purchasers may not view it that way.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,830
Like?
Possibly, the question is when and how much.
In reply to completelyrandomstuff, Aug 16, 2013

If the rumors about the upcoming OMD-Pro being able to AF the ZD lenses quickly, expect HG and SHG glass prices to go up from their current rock bottom levels.

If that AF turns out to be not so good, then prices won't rise much, if any.

As a general yardstick, well cared for used versions of contemporary lenses that fit current popular systems tend to be 10-20% lower than new prices.

With current HG and SHG, it's more like 50-60% lower than list today, so their values are way down. Hmmm... I should probably grab an 11-22 before prices go back up. Had hoped to find a 150F2 at a good price, but that's a rare lens.

Note that current 4/3 SG lenses aren't selling for much of anything. They already AF on M43 fairly well so the upcoming OMD-Pro won't affect that, and smaller M43 equivalents for just about all of the SG lenses exist, so their value probably won't increase any.

Consider that older Leica M glass has risen quite a bit in value since the mirrorless systems came out. That glass couldn't be used on DSLR's, due to the short registration distance. But, it does work very well on the mirrorless systems.

nyfalls
Contributing MemberPosts: 792
Like?
In reply to completelyrandomstuff, Aug 18, 2013

I'm actually hooping to only bring a few lenses over to m4/3 now that I see it will take the focus, I'm set on using m4/3 as a travel system (already moved my business to Nikon and happy with that).

Looking to unload my 7-14mm Zuiko cheap.

Probably the 50mm zuiko as well.

They are both in mint.

I guess my e30 will go now too.

e5 and e620 eventually.

I'm a strong believer in giving a quick sale and a firm deal, so will probably check ebay going prices over the next few days and price below. Advice would be appreciated.

Is ebay the best place for selling Oly lenses these days?

completelyrandomstuff
Like?
In reply to nyfalls, Aug 19, 2013

In my experience, I noticed some people do that to:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/buy-sell/

Sometimes you can get a little bit more money on craigslist, since some people prefer to see the item before buying it.

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
In reply to nyfalls, Aug 19, 2013

nyfalls wrote:

I'm actually hooping to only bring a few lenses over to m4/3 now that I see it will take the focus, I'm set on using m4/3 as a travel system (already moved my business to Nikon and happy with that).

Looking to unload my 7-14mm Zuiko cheap.

Probably the 50mm zuiko as well.

They are both in mint.

I guess my e30 will go now too.

e5 and e620 eventually.

I'm a strong believer in giving a quick sale and a firm deal, so will probably check ebay going prices over the next few days and price below. Advice would be appreciated.

Is ebay the best place for selling Oly lenses these days?

I would assume the lenses to take over would be the 12-60 and the 50-200.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
nyfalls
Contributing MemberPosts: 792
Like?
In reply to CollBaxter, Aug 19, 2013

CollBaxter wrote:

I would assume the lenses to take over would be the 12-60 and the 50-200.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

Haha.. excellent guess! I will be buried with my 12-60

-- hide signature --

Upstate NY Waterfalls and Photography
My Galleries: http://nyfalls.exposuremanager.com
New York History in Photos! http://NYHistoric.com
Scenes from a Public Market: http://scenesfromapublicmarket.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads