Shooting landscapes with the G1-X...

Started Aug 14, 2013 | Discussions
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,298Gear list
Like?
Shooting landscapes with the G1-X...
Aug 14, 2013

I've had my G1-X for a little while now and have to say that I'm pretty pleased with it. I wanted it as a general lightweight travel option for shooting mostly landscape stuff. I bought a cheap knock off filter adaptor and I've put together a little filter kit ( Soft ND Grads 2/4/8, Hoya circular polarising filter, R72 infrared filter, 110 B&W big stopper and an ND 4 ), spare battery, memory card and cleaning cloth and it all fits in a small Kata lite 431 DL bag. I never see any camera as pocketable, it's the worst place to put any camera IMHO (lint, loose change, keys and cr@p etc) so this setup and camera represents a small, light and very powerful rig. I could also squeeze in my EX-90 speedlite if I want to.
I've been experimenting shooting some landscape stuff with the G1-X and have been very pleased with it's performance. At F8 there's more than enough dof for foreground and distance objects to be nice and sharp. The lens is simply excellent, much better than some seem to think, it performs well throughout the range in my experience. It's as good as any zoom in that range that I've tried and better than most. The articulating LCD is a real boon for tripod and low level work and the liveview/histogram makes getting the correct exposure a cinch. About the only thing I'd like is a wider fov than 28mm but you can't have everything in such a compact package. Ergonomics, focusing and everything else works really well and the files take quite a bit punishment at base ISO. Using ND grads makes dynamic range much less of an issue and the bracketing and timer option is also really nice. Anyway, when I don't want to be lugging my 5D2 about the G1-X makes a brilliant little replacement and IQ is not so far behind the 5D2 that I worry about it. Here are some recent examples shot below, two at F16 to get the shutter speed I wanted (didn't have my full filter kit sorted - doh!) but even though diffraction has softened the images I still liked the results. I'm not sure why this camera isn't more popular, it's stellar IMHO. I guess reviews obsessing over focus speeds and macro performance probably didn't help it and maybe it was overpriced but it's definitely a steal now.

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon PowerShot G1 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Darren N
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
Re: Shooting landscapes with the G1-X...
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 14, 2013

Excellent shots & I agree on everything you said about the G1X it's a fantastic little camera, I too have put a kit together & use it more than my DSLR's now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
papillon_65
Like?
In reply to Darren N, Aug 14, 2013

Darren N wrote:

Excellent shots & I agree on everything you said about the G1X it's a fantastic little camera, I too have put a kit together & use it more than my DSLR's now.

Cheers Darren, it seems to be the camera no-one is interested in, which is a big shame. I'm not sure why anyone would go for the G15 over this camera, size wise it's a wash (maybe for macro), price wise there isn't anything in it now. For many people this is more camera than they would ever need if you're looking for a smallish highly capable shooter with excellent IQ, I guess the memo just never got around.

-- hide signature --

Tony

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,230Gear list
Like?
Superb imagery!!!
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 15, 2013

What else is there to add?  But in addition to the capabilities of the G1X, you have to give credit to your photographic prowess.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +28 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,423Gear list
Like?

Hi,

Thanks.  Nice shots.  I bought a G1X for pretty much identical reasons and agree with everything you've said.  I'm quite amazed at how consistent the performance is - of the lens, across the FL and aperture ranges, and of the sensor, across base to moderate ISOs.  It's also an extremely reliable and glitch free model.  It's become my hiking and travel camera and I'm really pleased with it.  (I accept its limitations. - It just doesn't do action well, but that rarely troubles me for my uses - landscapes don't move too fast.)

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
aekn
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?

These are great!  I have found the G1 X to be nothing short of amazing, and I've owned and used hundreds of cameras over the years.  Nothing else comes close to the combination of versatility and image quality it provides.

I'm seriously hoping for a Mark II version with a 24-85L lens, same size or even full APS-C sensor with the newest technology, at least slightly closer min focusing distance, and slightly faster operating speed.  Give me that in a refined (I don't mean smaller) package, and I'd be willing to pay $1200 for it.

Spiridakis Michael
Senior MemberPosts: 2,321
Like?
In reply to aekn, Aug 15, 2013

Fine series of pictures from a cameras that as many pointed got lost... For me the BIG reason was the wrong for its league zoom range.... the kiddy 28mm in wide end is just don't the right choice if that zoom was 18-36 or maybe 21-50 or better 21-70, or if canon had made a nice set of good glass properly for this camera of a lens adapter to go down ton 19 or 21 (all these are mm I hope you understand)  then I would be an owner .

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,156
Like?

Whooo, these are really impressive..thanks for posting and putting thoughts of this camera in my head..lol. Btw, these look outstanding full size on my big monitor.

Everhandy
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
In reply to Spiridakis Michael, Aug 15, 2013

Spiridakis Michael wrote:

or if canon had made a nice set of good glass properly for this camera of a lens adapter to go down ton 19 or 21 (all these are mm I hope you understand) then I would be an owner .

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

Funny thing, I didn't seem to notice the fact that the G1-X has less than ideal glass. Didn't stop me at all from getting simply amazing shots with this gem of a camera.

J_dpr
Regular MemberPosts: 421
Like?

Nice photos - thanks for sharing. What kind of PP was applied to the photos? They look like HDR but would that be possible with moving waves etc.?

papillon_65
Like?
Re: Superb imagery!!!
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Aug 15, 2013

Ben Herrmann wrote:

What else is there to add? But in addition to the capabilities of the G1X, you have to give credit to your photographic prowess.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Thanks for the kind comments Ben, the G1X makes this kind of shooting easy, finding decent subjects is the hard part 

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, Aug 15, 2013

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

Thanks. Nice shots. I bought a G1X for pretty much identical reasons and agree with everything you've said. I'm quite amazed at how consistent the performance is - of the lens, across the FL and aperture ranges, and of the sensor, across base to moderate ISOs. It's also an extremely reliable and glitch free model. It's become my hiking and travel camera and I'm really pleased with it. (I accept its limitations. - It just doesn't do action well, but that rarely troubles me for my uses - landscapes don't move too fast.)

Cheers, Rod

Thanks Rod, I'm pleased to hear about the reliability, I've not had mine too long so that's re-assuring to hear as I don't anticipate replacing it for some time, there just isn't any need.

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65
Like?
In reply to aekn, Aug 15, 2013

aekn wrote:

These are great! I have found the G1 X to be nothing short of amazing, and I've owned and used hundreds of cameras over the years. Nothing else comes close to the combination of versatility and image quality it provides.

I think so too.

I'm seriously hoping for a Mark II version with a 24-85L lens, same size or even full APS-C sensor with the newest technology, at least slightly closer min focusing distance, and slightly faster operating speed. Give me that in a refined (I don't mean smaller) package, and I'd be willing to pay $1200 for it.

A 24mm focal length would be very nice indeed but I wouldn't want to lose range. The existing range may well be the best compromise for the size of the sensor and I'm fine with that. It's shame Canon never developed a wide angle adaptor, I'd definitely be in for one of those.

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65
Like?
In reply to Spiridakis Michael, Aug 15, 2013

Fine series of pictures from a cameras that as many pointed got lost... For me the BIG reason was the wrong for its league zoom range.... the kiddy 28mm in wide end is just don't the right choice if that zoom was 18-36 or maybe 21-50 or better 21-70, or if canon had made a nice set of good glass properly for this camera of a lens adapter to go down ton 19 or 21 (all these are mm I hope you understand) then I would be an owner .

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

I think it is difficult for Canon to please everyone in this respect and the current range was the best compromise. I too would have liked a wide angle adaptor as I'm an UWA shooter myself.

-- hide signature --

Tony

Bassy
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,607
Like?

yes i like easy thats why i bought mine lol,  i enjoyed your photos very nice

papillon_65
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, Aug 15, 2013

Sactojim wrote:

Whooo, these are really impressive..thanks for posting and putting thoughts of this camera in my head..lol. Btw, these look outstanding full size on my big monitor.

Thanks, it's a super camera capable of superb IQ, nothing much to fault on it for me personally.

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65
Like?
In reply to J_dpr, Aug 15, 2013

J_dpr wrote:

Nice photos - thanks for sharing. What kind of PP was applied to the photos? They look like HDR but would that be possible with moving waves etc.?

Thanks, the sea shots were on a tripod using a soft ND grads 4/8. I would have liked to slowed the shutter speed down even more but I didn't have the right filter with me. There is no HDR involved but the graduated filters ensure that you get a more balance exposure. I post process using Lightroom and Nik Dfine/Viveza/Colour Efex 4, it's a lot quicker and easier than photoshopping and gives me nice results with a minimal amount of time. The castle shot was also on tripod but I used an R72 infrared filter and then converted to mono. The G1X is great because I'm only dealing with one lens and hence the filter size is always 58mm, again, nice and easy 

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65
Like?
In reply to Bassy, Aug 15, 2013

Bassy wrote:

yes i like easy thats why i bought mine lol, i enjoyed your photos very nice

Thanks, small camera, small camera bag, one filter size, what's not to like? Unfortunately my 5D2 suffers for a little neglect on the back of it but my shoulders don't mind too much 

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65
Like?
I think Spiridakis Michael meant....
In reply to Everhandy, Aug 15, 2013

Everhandy wrote:

or if canon had made a nice set of good glass properly for this camera of a lens adapter to go down ton 19 or 21 (all these are mm I hope you understand) then I would be an owner .

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

Funny thing, I didn't seem to notice the fact that the G1-X has less than ideal glass. Didn't stop me at all from getting simply amazing shots with this gem of a camera.

that there are no lens adaptors for it, not that the lens is not very good.

-- hide signature --

Tony

Don Karner
Contributing MemberPosts: 803Gear list
Like?

Really lovely shots.

I don't know why you consider it such a steal though.  B&H still has it for $699. Ouch.

-- hide signature --

Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Don Karner's gear list:Don Karner's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS M Nikon D5300 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads