In reply to Chato, Aug 14, 2013

Chato wrote:

Johnsonj wrote:

Chato wrote:

Henry Schobin wrote:

Walking Dead wrote:

Henry Schobin wrote:

I think Dave just peed himself.

It ain't the pee that I'm worried about, it's other other stuff that might come out, from either end.

Good point.

Maybe, an investment in Depends undergarments, or airsick bags might be a good idea.

In Dave's case, maybe just seal him up in a body bag.

-- hide signature --

Defender of Truth, Justice, and the American Way

And you KNOW it punk.

You tell him, Squidly. LMFAO!

Anyone who wants to find out is welcome to pay me a visit.

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

This is true!

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,014Gear list
Like?
Re: The Devil is in the Details
In reply to mamallama, Aug 14, 2013

mamallama wrote:

Good paper study and some hand-waving but I'd like to the cost breakdown study. As I understand it the high costs of the California High Speed Train are driven by expensive right-of-way purchase and the stations costs that are in the cities and not out in the orchards. I don't see that putting the train in a tube or on tracks make much difference in those costs.

The tubes are supposed to be elevated on pylons.  From what I understand, this is the main source of the savings - a lot less earth-moving is required, and much less land acquisition, compared to a traditional railroad.  A lot less environmental impact, too.

Moreover the tube technology is not even developed yet, AFAIK, and I'm sure those development costs won't be cheap.

One of their points is that they'll use many off-the-shelf components (they specifically mentioned tubing, battery packs, and compressors).  And while development costs won't be trivial, I doubt it can be the major expence.  It took GM around 1 billion to develop the Volt.  The pods should be actually easier to design, because they are supposed to function in controlled environment.

The 800 mph might be just be a pipe dream which so far it is. Has anyone seen one run that fast?

They are planning to use subsonic speeds (600-700mph).  But you're right of course, no telling at this stage what engineering and business challenges are in the way.

An already developed and operating Magnetic Levitation System like the 280 mph Shanghai Maglev Train seems like a better choice over the current California High Speed design.

It wouldn't be much cheaper though.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,973
Like?
Re: The Hyperloop
In reply to KEVZPHOTOS, Aug 14, 2013

KEVZPHOTOS wrote:

Collett wrote:

I thought this story about an idea developed by Elon Musk (Telsa) was interesting. From the link:

"Serial entrepreneur and billionaire Elon Musk unveiled design plans for his Hyperloop -- a superfast transport system that could cut the travel time from Los Angeles to San Francisco to 30 minutes, and cost a fraction of the currently proposed high speed rail project.

Musk, a co-founder of PayPal and the man behind commercial space transport firm Space-X and electric car maker Tesla (TSLA), said up to 1,000 employees from both Tesla and Space X worked to come up with the idea, which is basically an elevated tube which moves travel pods at nearly the speed of sound.

In a technical paper published Monday, Musk said his idea is similar to the "old pneumatic tubes used to send mail and packages within and between buildings," but would operate under much less pressure to save on energy.

The cars would be pushed or pulled through the tube by a series of electric motors, possibly similar to the ones used by the Tesla Model S. Each car would be mounted with a fan in front to move the air out of the way. The air itself would then be directed underneath the car, forming a cushion on which it would ride. The entire thing would be powered by solar panels mounted on top of the tube.

Related: Elon Musk's greatest hits.

The tube itself could be built above ground, roughly following California's Interstate 5 highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Musk said it could cost less than one-tenth of the planed high speed rail system in California -- a project that's estimated to cost $70 billion. It would also be six times faster.

In fact, it was the high cost of the California train that prompted Musk to research the Hyperloop in the first place."How could it be that the home of Silicon Valley and JPL -- doing incredible things like indexing all the world's knowledge and putting rovers on Mars -- would build a bullet train that is both one of the most expensive per mile and one of the slowest in the world," he wrote.

Experts say Musk's idea is technically feasible, but will be hard to implement primarily due to the cots of developing a demonstration project and the time it will take to get all the permits."

Looks interesting, especially if it can be done for the cost and the specs he has laid out.

Thoughts................

Yeah, I'm thinking...

I wouldn't like to be on the first one that crashes

Agreed.  But don't you have fart powered thrusters yourself Kev?

KEV

-- hide signature --

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,973
Like?
Re: The Devil is in the Details
In reply to mamallama, Aug 14, 2013

mamallama wrote:

Collett wrote:

I thought this story about an idea developed by Elon Musk (Telsa) was interesting. From the link:

"Serial entrepreneur and billionaire Elon Musk unveiled design plans for his Hyperloop -- a superfast transport system that could cut the travel time from Los Angeles to San Francisco to 30 minutes, and cost a fraction of the currently proposed high speed rail project.

Musk, a co-founder of PayPal and the man behind commercial space transport firm Space-X and electric car maker Tesla (TSLA), said up to 1,000 employees from both Tesla and Space X worked to come up with the idea, which is basically an elevated tube which moves travel pods at nearly the speed of sound.

In a technical paper published Monday, Musk said his idea is similar to the "old pneumatic tubes used to send mail and packages within and between buildings," but would operate under much less pressure to save on energy.

The cars would be pushed or pulled through the tube by a series of electric motors, possibly similar to the ones used by the Tesla Model S. Each car would be mounted with a fan in front to move the air out of the way. The air itself would then be directed underneath the car, forming a cushion on which it would ride. The entire thing would be powered by solar panels mounted on top of the tube.

The tube itself could be built above ground, roughly following California's Interstate 5 highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Musk said it could cost less than one-tenth of the planed high speed rail system in California -- a project that's estimated to cost $70 billion. It would also be six times faster.

In fact, it was the high cost of the California train that prompted Musk to research the Hyperloop in the first place."How could it be that the home of Silicon Valley and JPL -- doing incredible things like indexing all the world's knowledge and putting rovers on Mars -- would build a bullet train that is both one of the most expensive per mile and one of the slowest in the world," he wrote.

Experts say Musk's idea is technically feasible, but will be hard to implement primarily due to the cots of developing a demonstration project and the time it will take to get all the permits."

Looks interesting, especially if it can be done for the cost and the specs he has laid out.

Thoughts................

Valid points Mamma.

Good paper study and some hand-waving but I'd like to the cost breakdown study. As I understand it the high costs of the California High Speed Train are driven by expensive right-of-way purchase and the stations costs that are in the cities and not out in the orchards. I don't see that putting the train in a tube or on tracks make much difference in those costs.

Moreover the tube technology is not even developed yet, AFAIK, and I'm sure those development costs won't be cheap.The 800 mph might be just be a pipe dream which so far it is. Has anyone seen one run that fast?

An already developed and operating Magnetic Levitation System like the 280 mph Shanghai Maglev Train seems like a better choice over the current California High Speed design.

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,066Gear list
Like?
Re: The Hyperhype?
In reply to Collett, Aug 14, 2013

Collett wrote:

Thoughts................

HI!

There are a number of folks in Silicon Valley that would love to put Elon Musk in a tube, and shoot him out at 700mph. He's not known as Mr. Nice Guy......

But he has made a boat load of money.

And to appreciate his abilities as a Salesman, one has to look no further than how he got his first wife to enter into a a post nuptial agreement (yep, after they had been married) that cost her tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars:

America's Messiest Divorce?

I'm also trying to figure out why Tesla has a market cap ($16.9 B) of about half of Audi's ($35.5B).

Audi sold 131,000 cars last July.

Tesla predicts it will sell about 21,000 cars this year

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 17,590
Like?
Re: The Hyperloop
In reply to Collett, Aug 14, 2013

Collett wrote:

KEVZPHOTOS wrote:

Collett wrote:

Thoughts................

Yeah, I'm thinking...

I wouldn't like to be on the first one that crashes

Agreed. But don't you have fart powered thrusters yourself Kev?

Yes, I have FARTILLIUM Crystals in my anal-warp core.

YOU should see me on a bike

KEV

-- hide signature --

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

Chato
Forum ProPosts: 43,976Gear list
Like?
Don't be such a dick
In reply to bigrgib, Aug 14, 2013

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

I'm surprised at the reaction to a simple statement of fact.

I think it's pretty common to call BS when the statement of fact is a lie.

Now it may be that I CAN'T press 300 pounds now.

Yeah, it might be that you can't. Nothing wrong with that, though. If you could, you'd be competing with American recordsmen of your category:

http://www.goheavy.net/records/viewrecordset.aspx?recordsetguid=ef9ebd64-1b42-4c5f-9b8a-dbc8744d66da

Yeah, I was pretty sure that's close to a record. Of course it's NOT a record.

Particularly if it never happened.

Long time since I worked out with weights. On the other hand, last Winter, I had to lift a 223 pound motor over my head, slip it into it's housing, and then while holding it up with one arm, catch the bolts to hold it in place.I suppose you doubt that as well?

How could I? that is totally believable too.

Yet it's part of my job

Sure. Here's a suggestion: make this part of your equipment. It's a game changer.

Shows how little you know about repair work. Good for you. You know nothing about many subjects but are an expert in all of them.

But do me a favor, and take me up on my bet.

Anything for you, Dave. What's the bet? Because, it certainly ain't anything related with bench pressing, is it?

No, just proof about how tough I am.

So you mean you're gonna fight whoever takes the challenge

Surely you could survive never posting here again?

I'm not sure, after being the top poster for a decace and all. Oh, wait, that was you?

If you wont take the bet, than you really ought to STFU. Don't you think that would be appropriate?

Ok let's do this thing! Since you're too scared to name a time and place, I will.

Tompkins park. in front of the basketball court. Thursday. 01:00 AM.

Not a problem. I'll be happy to meet you there. PM me to confirm this.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Less than 24 hours. Be there.

PM me.

Dave

-- hide signature --

bigrgib
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578
Like?
Re: Don't be such a dick

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yeah, it might be that you can't. Nothing wrong with that, though. If you could, you'd be competing with American recordsmen of your category:

http://www.goheavy.net/records/viewrecordset.aspx?recordsetguid=ef9ebd64-1b42-4c5f-9b8a-dbc8744d66da

Particularly if it never happened.

Long time since I worked out with weights. On the other hand, last Winter, I had to lift a 223 pound motor over my head, slip it into it's housing, and then while holding it up with one arm, catch the bolts to hold it in place.I suppose you doubt that as well?

Yet it's part of my job

Sure. Here's a suggestion: make this part of your equipment. It's a game changer.

Shows how little you know about repair work. Good for you. You know nothing about many subjects but are an expert in all of them.

Anything for you, Dave. What's the bet? Because, it certainly ain't anything related with bench pressing, is it?

So you mean you're gonna fight whoever takes the challenge

I'm not sure, after being the top poster for a decace and all. Oh, wait, that was you?

If you wont take the bet, than you really ought to STFU. Don't you think that would be appropriate?

Ok let's do this thing! Since you're too scared to name a time and place, I will.

Tompkins park. in front of the basketball court. Thursday. 01:00 AM.

Not a problem. I'll be happy to meet you there. PM me to confirm this.

Dave

-- hide signature --

PM me.

No need, I have more than enough of your internet yapping. You have a time (got 7 hours to get ready) and a place. You know what to do. Be there.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Chato
Like?

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

PM me.

No need, I have more than enough of your internet yapping. You have a time (got 7 hours to get ready) and a place. You know what to do. Be there.

Dave

Clearly, you're simply pulling on johnson's dick. He's already ruined his keyboard. If you don't PM me, I have better things to do then walk around the park with a camera, waiting for you to fly in from Spain.

Dave

-- hide signature --

bigrgib
Like?

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

PM me.

Dave

Clearly, you're simply pulling on johnson's dick. He's already ruined his keyboard. If you don't PM me, I have better things to do then walk around the park with a camera,

Are you sure?

waiting for you to fly in from Spain.

Now I'm in Spain?

If you think so, it would be very dishonest of you to propose a challenge that cannot take place and then call me an asshle for not taking the bet, right?

'Sides I travel a lot. See you in 8 hours.

Dave

-- hide signature --

bigrgib
Like?
Re: Dave, Come on!

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yet it's part of my job

Now this is NOT the boiler room in question, but it should give even an empty headed A-hole like yourself an understanding of why one man working alone at 10 PM can't use such a machine...

And BTW 223 lb is the weight of the first stone in the atlas stones event of the world's strongest man competition-

Your resemblance with the white dude is uncanny.

I mean I offered to post PROOF, not merely my words. Of course you WON'T STFU, and you WON'T take the bet - And thus you prove that you ARE a A-hole.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Chato
Like?

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

PM me.

Dave

Clearly, you're simply pulling on johnson's dick. He's already ruined his keyboard. If you don't PM me, I have better things to do then walk around the park with a camera,

Are you sure?

Now I'm in Spain?

If you think so, it would be very dishonest of you to propose a challenge that cannot take place and then call me an asshle for not taking the bet, right?

You challenged me A-hole...

And what triggered it was my (once again) making a fool of you over such a simple thing as repairing heating systems. And once again, you sounded off on a subject you know nothing about.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Chato
Like?

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yet it's part of my job

Now this is NOT the boiler room in question, but it should give even an empty headed A-hole like yourself an understanding of why one man working alone at 10 PM can't use such a machine...

And BTW 223 lb is the weight of the first stone in the atlas stones event of the world's strongest man competition-

I mean I offered to post PROOF, not merely my words. Of course you WON'T STFU, and you WON'T take the bet - And thus you prove that you ARE a A-hole.

Dave

Do you know anything about weight lifting competition? Well, I know very little. What I DO know is that there's no money to be made unless you're in the heavyweight divisions. Yet you talk as if I should have spent my life doing this. Should have perhaps gone out for the Olympics? Maybe found a sponsor? Went to a fancy university with a program? So, I know very little - You know nothing.

I was into lifting weights very briefly back in 1972 when I worked as an installation man for Atlantic Boiler. Complete waste of time...

But just working for that company was "working out" eight, ten hours a day. The strongest man I ever met in my life, and a legend in the trade was a pencil thin guy whom we just called "Jonesey."

But what would you know about physical labor? As you've demonstrated with these posts - Nothing at all...

Dave

-- hide signature --

Johnsonj
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982
Like?

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yet it's part of my job

Dave

Do you know anything about weight lifting competition? Well, I know very little. What I DO know is that there's no money to be made unless you're in the heavyweight divisions. Yet you talk as if I should have spent my life doing this. Should have perhaps gone out for the Olympics? Maybe found a sponsor? Went to a fancy university with a program? So, I know very little - You know nothing.

I was into lifting weights very briefly back in 1972 when I worked as an installation man for Atlantic Boiler. Complete waste of time...

But just working for that company was "working out" eight, ten hours a day. The strongest man I ever met in my life, and a legend in the trade was a pencil thin guy whom we just called "Jonesey."

But what would you know about physical labor? As you've demonstrated with these posts - Nothing at all...

Dave

-- hide signature --

Luv the way u deflect.

LMFAO!
--
"There's no way to make everybody rich."

My uncle

bigrgib
Like?

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yet it's part of my job

Dave

Do you know anything about weight lifting competition? Well, I know very little. What I DO know is that there's no money to be made unless you're in the heavyweight divisions. Yet you talk as if I should have spent my life doing this.

No, no. You misread me. I'm just saying that you lie about your strength and that's very childish for an old man.

Should have perhaps gone out for the Olympics? Maybe found a sponsor? Went to a fancy university with a program? So, I know very little - You know nothing.

Don't say that, Atlantic Boiler paid you, didn't the?

You sound like the guy who spends the day telling BS stories to the newbies, so we can safely assume that I know more about hard work, physical and intellectual, than you.

Dave

-- hide signature --

bigrgib
Like?

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

PM me.

Dave

Are you sure?

Now I'm in Spain?

You challenged me A-hole...

Just pushed the button that forced you to admit that you've been reading my posts all along despite publicizing that I'd made into your ignore list.

Yeah, you're that predictable.

It also highlighted the ridiculousness of playing internet tough guy, it's cheap and serves no purpse (I mean if someone bitch slapped you until you cried, which would be the likely thing, you were not be a less smart or dishonest poster, not that this is possible).

I wasn't expecting that from you, to be honest.

Things like this scream troubled character, have it checked, bro.

And what triggered it was my (once again) making a fool of you over such a simple thing as repairing heating systems. And once again, you sounded off on a subject you know nothing about.

I do know that maintenance guys do not pass strength tests to get the job and they're not expected to overhead press 200lb + manually by themselves.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Chato
Like?

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Do you know anything about weight lifting competition? Well, I know very little. What I DO know is that there's no money to be made unless you're in the heavyweight divisions. Yet you talk as if I should have spent my life doing this.

No, no. You misread me. I'm just saying that you lie about your strength and that's very childish for an old man.

Should have perhaps gone out for the Olympics? Maybe found a sponsor? Went to a fancy university with a program? So, I know very little - You know nothing.

Don't say that, Atlantic Boiler paid you, didn't the?

You sound like the guy who spends the day telling BS stories to the newbies, so we can safely assume that I know more about hard work, physical and intellectual, than you.

I will educate you about weight lifting...

Weight lifters come in all kinds of body types...

130 pound divisions

Different body types of weight lifers...

Body types

Me at the age of 26

And of course, an article about me taking on Two members of the TPF, and a hired goon from Kurmco...

I have no reason to BS about myself. And I realized as soon as you didn't PM me that you actually thought I was BSing. Of course, like anyone I may mispeak. On the other hand I NEVER BS.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Chato
Like?
Images didn't go through

-- hide signature --

bigrgib
Like?
Re: Images didn't go through

Dave, you're starting to worry me. What is this supposed to mean?

Chato wrote:

-- hide signature --

Chato
Like?
Re: Images didn't go through

bigrgib wrote:

Dave, you're starting to worry me. What is this supposed to mean?

Maybe you should read the story? Last four paragraphs? I've also edited my last post so that I've posted a picture of myself in my salad days.

Just for your information, the Tactical Patrol Force was an elite unit of Cops, none shorter than six feet.

Chato wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads