The Hyperloop

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Jenna B
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659Gear list
Like?
Here you go:
In reply to 57even, 8 months ago
 Jenna B's gear list:Jenna B's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Epson Stylus Photo 1400 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigrgib
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005
Like?
Re: Dave, Come on!
In reply to Chato, 8 months ago

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Johnsonj wrote:

Chato wrote:

Henry Schobin wrote:

Walking Dead wrote:

Henry Schobin wrote:

I think Dave just peed himself.

It ain't the pee that I'm worried about, it's other other stuff that might come out, from either end.

Good point.

Maybe, an investment in Depends undergarments, or airsick bags might be a good idea.

In Dave's case, maybe just seal him up in a body bag.

-- hide signature --

Defender of Truth, Justice, and the American Way

And you KNOW it punk.

You tell him, Squidly. LMFAO!

Anyone who wants to find out is welcome to pay me a visit.

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Name a place and time, big guy.

I'm not anonymous. Anyone can come visit me. I live in East 4th between Second and the Bowery. Should take five minutes to find out my address. Indeed, I've taken Marty to lunch. Of course Marty's a nice guy, not a Troll like those two, or an A-hole like you.

Dave

-- hide signature --

I'm officially in your ignore list, remember? How on earth could you fall for this!

You really need to take a break, bro.

I took you off about a week ago. Are you saying I should have made a public announcement? PM'ed you?

A card would've been nice.

You're an A-hole, the others are trolls.

Anyone who wants to find out if I'm BSing has two choices. They can either visit me, or make a bet with me, that I can't do what I claim to be able to do. Loser quits the forums forever. And I can post newspaper articles about myself in a flash - So take me up on one of these alternatives.

Even on the little thing of you bench pressing 300 lb?

Dave

-- hide signature --

Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,886
Like?
Re: Its interesting alright but whats the capacity?

57even wrote:

Collett wrote:

I thought this story about an idea developed by Elon Musk (Telsa) was interesting. From the link:

"Serial entrepreneur and billionaire Elon Musk unveiled design plans for his Hyperloop -- a superfast transport system that could cut the travel time from Los Angeles to San Francisco to 30 minutes, and cost a fraction of the currently proposed high speed rail project.

Musk, a co-founder of PayPal and the man behind commercial space transport firm Space-X and electric car maker Tesla (TSLA), said up to 1,000 employees from both Tesla and Space X worked to come up with the idea, which is basically an elevated tube which moves travel pods at nearly the speed of sound.

In a technical paper published Monday, Musk said his idea is similar to the "old pneumatic tubes used to send mail and packages within and between buildings," but would operate under much less pressure to save on energy.

The cars would be pushed or pulled through the tube by a series of electric motors, possibly similar to the ones used by the Tesla Model S. Each car would be mounted with a fan in front to move the air out of the way. The air itself would then be directed underneath the car, forming a cushion on which it would ride. The entire thing would be powered by solar panels mounted on top of the tube.

Related: Elon Musk's greatest hits.

The tube itself could be built above ground, roughly following California's Interstate 5 highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Musk said it could cost less than one-tenth of the planed high speed rail system in California -- a project that's estimated to cost $70 billion. It would also be six times faster.

In fact, it was the high cost of the California train that prompted Musk to research the Hyperloop in the first place."How could it be that the home of Silicon Valley and JPL -- doing incredible things like indexing all the world's knowledge and putting rovers on Mars -- would build a bullet train that is both one of the most expensive per mile and one of the slowest in the world," he wrote.

Experts say Musk's idea is technically feasible, but will be hard to implement primarily due to the cots of developing a demonstration project and the time it will take to get all the permits."

Looks interesting, especially if it can be done for the cost and the specs he has laid out.

Thoughts................

As a technical exercise its very cool, but not much use if it cannot handle the traffic density of a high speed rail. Also the long term maintenance and running costs are not really mentioned.

I totally agree that there are a lot of things to work out and that this is more of a concept used to sell an idea than anything else at this stage.  It is good, however, that someone is thinking outside the box.  That is how we sometimes get some great inventions, commercial applications, etc.

Rail is a major up-front investment, but it has a very long lifespan to pay it back, and trains can be upgraded continuously during that period.

True, but it seems to me that this approach has some of those favorable attributes as well.

The real issue is cost per passenger mile over 20 years. I don't see the figures for that.

On p. 6 of 'The Technical paper' linked above the go into it a bit "In this study, the initial route, preliminary design, and logistics of the Hyperloop transportation system have been derived. The system consists of capsules that travel between Los Angeles, California and San Francisco, California. The total trip time is approximately half an hour, with capsules departing as often as every 30 seconds from each terminal and carrying 28 people each. This gives a total of 7.4 million people each way that can be transported each year on Hyperloop. The total cost of Hyperloop in this analysis is under $6 billion USD. Amortizing this capital cost over 20 years and adding daily operational costs gives a total of about $20 USD (in current year dollars) plus operating costs per one-way ticket on the passenger Hyperloop."

lownine
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,734
Like?

Collett wrote:

I thought this story about an idea developed by Elon Musk (Telsa) was interesting. From the link:

"Serial entrepreneur and billionaire Elon Musk unveiled design plans for his Hyperloop -- a superfast transport system that could cut the travel time from Los Angeles to San Francisco to 30 minutes, and cost a fraction of the currently proposed high speed rail project.

Musk, a co-founder of PayPal and the man behind commercial space transport firm Space-X and electric car maker Tesla (TSLA), said up to 1,000 employees from both Tesla and Space X worked to come up with the idea, which is basically an elevated tube which moves travel pods at nearly the speed of sound.

In a technical paper published Monday, Musk said his idea is similar to the "old pneumatic tubes used to send mail and packages within and between buildings," but would operate under much less pressure to save on energy.

The cars would be pushed or pulled through the tube by a series of electric motors, possibly similar to the ones used by the Tesla Model S. Each car would be mounted with a fan in front to move the air out of the way. The air itself would then be directed underneath the car, forming a cushion on which it would ride. The entire thing would be powered by solar panels mounted on top of the tube.

The tube itself could be built above ground, roughly following California's Interstate 5 highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Musk said it could cost less than one-tenth of the planed high speed rail system in California -- a project that's estimated to cost $70 billion. It would also be six times faster.

In fact, it was the high cost of the California train that prompted Musk to research the Hyperloop in the first place."How could it be that the home of Silicon Valley and JPL -- doing incredible things like indexing all the world's knowledge and putting rovers on Mars -- would build a bullet train that is both one of the most expensive per mile and one of the slowest in the world," he wrote.

Experts say Musk's idea is technically feasible, but will be hard to implement primarily due to the cots of developing a demonstration project and the time it will take to get all the permits."

Looks interesting, especially if it can be done for the cost and the specs he has laid out.

Thoughts................

As a technical exercise its very cool, but not much use if it cannot handle the traffic density of a high speed rail. Also the long term maintenance and running costs are not really mentioned.

Rail is a major up-front investment, but it has a very long lifespan to pay it back, and trains can be upgraded continuously during that period.

The real issue is cost per passenger mile over 20 years. I don't see the figures for that.

It's tough to plunk down new rail lines. That's why existing rights of way are never discarded. Won't this require new paths to follow.

I wonder if they gave any thought to an adaptation of the systems in that show, "Punkin Chunkin'".

BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,869Gear list
Like?
Re: It's a question I asked

Chato wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

Chato wrote:

If a train blows it's motor, you coast to a stop. What kind of back up measures are there for this concept? Traveling at the speed of sound, and then suddenly "bottoming out" is gonna be a mutha...

There's no motor in the pods. Magnetic levitation will use permanent magnets, so a power outage won't cause them to bottom out.

Still, a scenario where the loop is stopped, is worrying. The pods need emergency brakes in case the pipe is compromised (a plane came down on it, or a sinkhole opened under it, or somobody's customized sneaker blew up a pod, or a lightning strike demagnetized a portion of the track, etc, etc, etc.). They also need a way to evacuate people from the stopped pods.

Neither emergency brakes nor evacuation manholes seem like insurmountable obstacles though.

Whoops, it's not magnetic levitation. Read a wrong article. Never mind

I don't have an answer. I have no idea. But when I read "speed of sound" the possibility of something "going wrong" seems to be a valid question...

Sooner or later something WILL go wrong, and I'd like to know how the emergency systems work, AND do they cover all possibilities.

There's no way they'd cover "all" possibilities, but it should be possible to make the system significantly safer than the normal high-speed rail.

For instance, a problem with one pod (or with a terminal) won't cause a "domino" effect of other pods crashing into it - they'll have emergency brakes and deployable wheels.

The tubes will have emergency access and pressurization ports.

(Breathing 0.1% atm inside a steel tube heated by California sun can be detremental to one's sinuses).

The "magnetic levitation" was a common speculation, before the plans were revealed. Turns out, it's "air bearings" - a compressor/fan system that pulls the (very thin) air from the front of the pod and blows it underneath the pod (creating an air cushion like in hovercraft) - and partially behind the pod (relieving the pressure built up in front of it by its high speed).

Here's the proposal (pdf)

They actually put a lot of thought into safety - just search the .pdf for the word "safe".

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 4,911Gear list
Like?
Re: Here you go:
In reply to Jenna B, 8 months ago

Jenna B wrote:

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2004-04/trans-atlantic-maglev

-- hide signature --

Always smiling! Jenn x
Flikr = http://www.flickr.com/photos/silentskies/
Personal Website = http://www.silentskies.co.uk/

I love big ideas even if they are crazy....or perhaps moreso when they are.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 4,911Gear list
Like?
In reply to Collett, 8 months ago

Collett wrote:

57even wrote:

Collett wrote:

Thoughts................

I totally agree that there are a lot of things to work out and that this is more of a concept used to sell an idea than anything else at this stage. It is good, however, that someone is thinking outside the box. That is how we sometimes get some great inventions, commercial applications, etc.

True, but it seems to me that this approach has some of those favorable attributes as well.

On p. 6 of 'The Technical paper' linked above the go into it a bit "In this study, the initial route, preliminary design, and logistics of the Hyperloop transportation system have been derived. The system consists of capsules that travel between Los Angeles, California and San Francisco, California. The total trip time is approximately half an hour, with capsules departing as often as every 30 seconds from each terminal and carrying 28 people each. This gives a total of 7.4 million people each way that can be transported each year on Hyperloop. The total cost of Hyperloop in this analysis is under $6 billion USD. Amortizing this capital cost over 20 years and adding daily operational costs gives a total of about $20 USD (in current year dollars) plus operating costs per one-way ticket on the passenger Hyperloop."

Thanks, I missed that bit. However a 30s gap at aircraft speed doesn't sound particularly safe.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,869Gear list
Like?

57even wrote:

Thanks, I missed that bit. However a 30s gap at aircraft speed doesn't sound particularly safe.

For a fully-automated system, that's a lot of time.  It takes 20 seconds of 1.4 G deceleration (mild discomfort) to go from 600mph to zero.  In a true emergency, 3G deceleration (not comfortable, but survivable) would stop a pod in under 10 seconds.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Chato
Forum ProPosts: 42,750Gear list
Like?
In reply to bigrgib, 8 months ago

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Johnsonj wrote:

Chato wrote:

Henry Schobin wrote:

Walking Dead wrote:

Henry Schobin wrote:

It ain't the pee that I'm worried about, it's other other stuff that might come out, from either end.

Good point.

Maybe, an investment in Depends undergarments, or airsick bags might be a good idea.

-- hide signature --

And you KNOW it punk.

Dave

-- hide signature --

I'm not anonymous. Anyone can come visit me. I live in East 4th between Second and the Bowery. Should take five minutes to find out my address. Indeed, I've taken Marty to lunch. Of course Marty's a nice guy, not a Troll like those two, or an A-hole like you.

Dave

-- hide signature --

I'm officially in your ignore list, remember? How on earth could you fall for this!

I took you off about a week ago. Are you saying I should have made a public announcement? PM'ed you?

Anyone who wants to find out if I'm BSing has two choices. They can either visit me, or make a bet with me, that I can't do what I claim to be able to do. Loser quits the forums forever. And I can post newspaper articles about myself in a flash - So take me up on one of these alternatives.

I'm surprised at the reaction to a simple statement of fact. Now it may be that I CAN'T press 300 pounds now. Long time since I worked out with weights. On the other hand, last Winter, I had to lift a 223 pound motor over my head, slip it into it's housing, and then while holding it up with one arm, catch the bolts to hold it in place.

I suppose you doubt that as well? Yet it's part of my job.

But do me a favor, and take me up on my bet. Surely you could survive never posting here again?

Dave

-- hide signature --

bigrgib
Like?

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Johnsonj wrote:

Chato wrote:

Henry Schobin wrote:

Walking Dead wrote:

Henry Schobin wrote:

Good point.

-- hide signature --

And you KNOW it punk.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Dave

-- hide signature --

I'm surprised at the reaction to a simple statement of fact.

I think it's pretty common to call BS when the statement of fact is a lie.

Now it may be that I CAN'T press 300 pounds now.

Yeah, it might be that you can't. Nothing wrong with that, though. If you could, you'd be competing with American recordsmen of your category:

http://www.goheavy.net/records/viewrecordset.aspx?recordsetguid=ef9ebd64-1b42-4c5f-9b8a-dbc8744d66da

Long time since I worked out with weights. On the other hand, last Winter, I had to lift a 223 pound motor over my head, slip it into it's housing, and then while holding it up with one arm, catch the bolts to hold it in place.I suppose you doubt that as well?

How could I? that is totally believable too.

Yet it's part of my job

Sure. Here's a suggestion: make this part of your equipment. It's a game changer.

But do me a favor, and take me up on my bet.

Anything for you, Dave. What's the bet? Because, it certainly ain't anything related with bench pressing, is it?

Surely you could survive never posting here again?

I'm not sure, after being the top poster for a decace and all. Oh, wait, that was you?

Dave

-- hide signature --

Chato
Like?

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yeah, it might be that you can't. Nothing wrong with that, though. If you could, you'd be competing with American recordsmen of your category:

http://www.goheavy.net/records/viewrecordset.aspx?recordsetguid=ef9ebd64-1b42-4c5f-9b8a-dbc8744d66da

Yeah, I was pretty sure that's close to a record. Of course it's NOT a record.

Long time since I worked out with weights. On the other hand, last Winter, I had to lift a 223 pound motor over my head, slip it into it's housing, and then while holding it up with one arm, catch the bolts to hold it in place.I suppose you doubt that as well?

Yet it's part of my job

Sure. Here's a suggestion: make this part of your equipment. It's a game changer.

Shows how little you know about repair work. Good for you. You know nothing about many subjects but are an expert in all of them.

Now this is NOT the boiler room in question, but it should give even an empty headed A-hole like yourself an understanding of why one man working alone at 10 PM can't use such a machine...

Anything for you, Dave. What's the bet? Because, it certainly ain't anything related with bench pressing, is it?

No, just proof about how tough I am.

I'm not sure, after being the top poster for a decace and all. Oh, wait, that was you?

If you wont take the bet, than you really ought to STFU. Don't you think that would be appropriate?

I mean I offered to post PROOF, not merely my words. Of course you WON'T STFU, and you WON'T take the bet - And thus you prove that you ARE a A-hole.

Dave

-- hide signature --

bigrgib
Like?

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Particularly if it never happened.

Yet it's part of my job

Shows how little you know about repair work. Good for you. You know nothing about many subjects but are an expert in all of them.

So you mean you're gonna fight whoever takes the challenge

If you wont take the bet, than you really ought to STFU. Don't you think that would be appropriate?

Ok let's do this thing! Since you're too scared to name a time and place, I will.

Tompkins park. in front of the basketball court. Thursday. 01:00 AM.

I mean I offered to post PROOF, not merely my words. Of course you WON'T STFU, and you WON'T take the bet - And thus you prove that you ARE a A-hole.

Dave

-- hide signature --

itchhh
Senior MemberPosts: 6,318
Like?
Re: The Hyperloop

People thought it was a crazy idea to go to the Moon.  I think we as a nation needs something like this to rally around.  Rather than SF to LA, I'd like to see SF to NY... now that would be cool!

Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,886
Like?
How old....

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yet it's part of my job

Ok let's do this thing! Since you're too scared to name a time and place, I will.

Dave

-- hide signature --

How old.... did you guys say you were - 110- 125 or so collectively.  Kinda old for this stuff perhaps?

Chato
Like?

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yet it's part of my job

Not a problem. I'll be happy to meet you there. PM me to confirm this.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Chato
Like?
Re: How old....

Collett wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yet it's part of my job

Dave

-- hide signature --

How old.... did you guys say you were - 110- 125 or so collectively. Kinda old for this stuff perhaps?

Light stuff... 

Dave

-- hide signature --

Johnsonj
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982
Like?

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yet it's part of my job

Dave

-- hide signature --

Bring a video cam and someone to film & upload after ur in the er, Squidly.

LMFAO!
--
"There's no way to make everybody rich."

My uncle

bigrgib
Like?

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Chato wrote:

Yet it's part of my job

Dave

-- hide signature --

Less than 24 hours. Be there.

KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 16,154
Like?
Re: The Hyperloop

Collett wrote:

Thoughts................

Yeah, I'm thinking...

I wouldn't like to be on the first one that crashes

KEV

-- hide signature --

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 28,454Gear list
Like?
The Devil is in the Details

Collett wrote:

Thoughts................

Good paper study and some hand-waving but I'd like to the cost breakdown study. As I understand it the high costs of the California High Speed Train are driven by expensive right-of-way purchase and the stations costs that are in the cities and not out in the orchards. I don't see that putting the train  in a tube or on tracks make much difference in those costs.

Moreover the tube technology is not even developed yet, AFAIK, and I'm sure those development costs won't be cheap.The 800 mph might be just be a pipe dream which so far it is. Has anyone seen one run that fast?

An already developed and operating Magnetic Levitation System like the 280 mph Shanghai Maglev Train seems like a better choice over the current California High Speed design.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads