E-Photozine High ISO GX7 vs OMD

Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions
MT
MT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,828
Like?
E-Photozine High ISO GX7 vs OMD
Aug 12, 2013

I do not have a Raw converter so I am looking at the high iso jpegs.

I compared the reposted (manual color balance)3200 and 25600 iso shots of the GX7 and the OMD and the OMD seem noticeable better to me in terms of resolutions (edges of the black text) and less blooming in the extreme high iso of 25600 on the color squares.  I admit I'm not professional and would love to hear others' comments. Also comments on RAW for those of you who process RAW.

Thanks,

MTMT

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,210
Like?
Re: E-Photozine High ISO GX7 vs OMD
In reply to MT, Aug 12, 2013

Does it really matter, how often do you shoot at ISO25600?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Manip16
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Aug 12, 2013

Does it really matter, how often do you shoot at ISO25600?

If noise is a low, a lot. If noise is high, rarely. Same as comparing my current SLR on 1600 (which I use a decent amount) and my old SLR on 1600 (which I used rarely).

dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,067Gear list
Like?
Are the OM-D's JPEGS from Pre-production firmware?

MT wrote:

I compared the reposted (manual color balance)3200 and 25600 iso shots of the GX7 and the OMD and the OMD seem noticeable better to me in terms of resolutions (edges of the black text) and less blooming in the extreme high iso of 25600 on the color squares. I admit I'm not professional and would love to hear others' comments. Also comments on RAW for those of you who process RAW.

Thanks,

MTMT

Because the ones from the GX7 certainly are. I wouldn't put too much stock in any of these images for determining the final IQ of the camera until they are using production firmware. Anything prior to that ought to be considered a worst case scenario - as you really don't know how much better the production images are going to be.

I might add that the situation with respect to RAW images at this early date is even worse, because the only RAW converters that currently work with GX7 files are hacked ones who's support for the GX7 currently is, at best, incomplete, and certainly not tuned to extract the most quality from the GX7 files.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?

While I'm not one to ever compare at anything beyond 6400, and usually not beyond 3200, I don't think you can gain much from comparing high contrast edges like black lettering at any ISO.  Even the old 12 megapixel Oly Pens had nice looking edges on black lettering at fairly high ISO's in JPEG's, but that seemed to have more to do with high default contrast than with the noise properties of the sensor.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,076Gear list
Like?
Techradar has the RAw files

Oly files ae useles,omehow techradar has used the JPGs s RAWs there...However, the GH3 has the very same Sony sensor and its files are visibly RAW. Based on that comparison to my eyes the GX7 seems to be just slightly better, but its very close.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,497Gear list
Like?
Oly's jpg seems more digital?

Frankly, between jpgs and missing RAW converters for the GX7, there just isn't much to go on at this time. So any analysis is well, incomplete.

But from the jpg's provided, the only thing I can tell is that Oly's photos are slightly brighter and for some reason seem a little digitized...processed, like a little more sharpening and contrast was added.

Again, this doesn't mean much till we get to properly analyze RAW files.

What I can say is that whatever is the final result with proper RAW file converters, the GX7 files are comparable to Oly's and doubt very much that there will be too much differences, nothing of real importance anyhow (well, other than to pixel peepers).

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409Gear list
Like?

I's nearly impossible to see pics without noise reduction, which makes the noise look better but the detail look worse. Comparing noise without detail is usually not a good idea...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,182Gear list
Like?
Re: Techradar has the RAw files
In reply to Jorginho, Aug 12, 2013

My reading of the techradar review is that they are still showing pre-production shots.

Its tough waiting for the real thing, and not to compare prematurely.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Nemo0815
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Re: Techradar has the RAw files
In reply to FrankS009, Aug 12, 2013

The ephotozine RAWs (and also Jpegs) look one stop better in the GX7 compared to E-P5 at 25600!

There is much less color noise in these Pana shots.

Nemo0815's gear list:Nemo0815's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182
Like?

My take on trying to compare out of camera jpegs is that you are comparing a whole bunch of variables. Indeed, if the images aren't shot with a common lens then any differences to either the jpeg or raw files may be due to differences in lens quality. With jpegs the sharpening may be increased or decreased, noise reduction increased or decreased, etc. An image with a bit more apparent detail and a bit more noise may simply be a reflection of the jpeg engine applying different amounts of noise reduction.

sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,244
Like?
In reply to MT, Aug 13, 2013

MT wrote:

I compared the reposted (manual color balance)3200 and 25600 iso shots of the GX7 and the OMD and the OMD seem noticeable better to me in terms of resolutions (edges of the black text) and less blooming in the extreme high iso of 25600 on the color squares. I admit I'm not professional and would love to hear others' comments. Also comments on RAW for those of you who process RAW.

Thanks,

MTMT

In that case, buying Lightroom may do more for your high-ISO photos than buying a new camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads