FZ250 in a few weeks?

Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,674Gear list
Like?
FZ250 in a few weeks?
Aug 12, 2013

I looked at the announcements for the FZ series over the last few years. In July 2010 the FZ100 was announced. In August 2011 the FZ150 was announced. In July 2012 the FZ200 was announced.

Anyone think that an FZ250 might be announced soon?

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
amolmd2011
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ250 in a few weeks?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Aug 12, 2013

Perhaps you've missed the FZ70 announcement that says FZ200 will continue inline up.

IMO, FZ200 is end of the series for a while. They'll come back with new sensor technology for the next top of the line FZ camera (or new pro series launch) as rest of it seems irreplaceable.

amolmd2011's gear list:amolmd2011's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Holmes375
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,241Gear list
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Aug 12, 2013

mpgxsvcd wrote:

....Anyone think that an FZ250 might be announced soon?

No, I don't believe its going to happen.

-- hide signature --
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,298Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ250 in a few weeks? Not going to happen.
In reply to Holmes375, Aug 12, 2013

But I hope I'm wrong.

Holmes375 wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

....Anyone think that an FZ250 might be announced soon?

No, I don't believe its going to happen.

Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,974Gear list
Like?

I think Panasonic realizes there are more potential buyers in the sub-$400 price range than the $600 range, so they introduced a camera primarily to compete effectively with the Canon SX50 and its replacement.

Some people who would willingly pay $600-700 for a first-class, state-of-the-art superzoom will pick up the FZ70 for its extra reach and still keep their FZ200 because it will be a classic. Right now, I don't see Panasonic upgrading the FZ200 for fear of cannibalizing sales of the FZ70.

I've waffled on this over the past few weeks, but it makes sense in business terms. Panasonic is more interested in moving camera bodies off the shelf than in pleasing its enthusiast followers. That's a bit sad since these are the very people who have helped to move Panasonic as a  manufacturer of digital cameras into competition with Canon, which probably ranks #1 in unit sales.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Holmes375
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,241Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vandyu, Aug 12, 2013

I'm hoping cameras such as the FZ70 generate a goodly amount of income for Panasonic over the next year thus allowing them to invest again in the niche market specialty machine(s).

But, just in case, I just ordered another FZ200 to set back in case they become scarce in the near future - picked up a new USA version for $498 - couldn't resist

-- hide signature --
Vandyu
Like?

Holmes375 wrote:

I'm hoping cameras such as the FZ70 generate a goodly amount of income for Panasonic over the next year thus allowing them to invest again in the niche market specialty machine(s).

But, just in case, I just ordered another FZ200 to set back in case they become scarce in the near future - picked up a new USA version for $498 - couldn't resist

-- hide signature --

A wise decision. I've been advocating for people to do this because I don't think the FZ200 will be continued for long as a current product with active manufacturing supply.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Einst Stein
Contributing MemberPosts: 609
Like?
In reply to Vandyu, Aug 13, 2013

I did a in-store comparison. I chose FZ200 over Nex 6 kit plus a long lens. FZ200 has better IQ from close-up to long tele as well as intimidate portraits and landscape.

I believe FZ200 was actually competing with Lumix G5. It might be hurting G6's sales too. How would it affect GX7 is yet to see.

But I till expect Panasonic to release FZ250 asap. -- if it has a constant fast aperture and an extended zoom range.

Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,617Gear list
Like?
In reply to Einst Stein, Aug 13, 2013

I did a in-store comparison. I chose FZ200 over Nex 6 kit plus a long lens. FZ200 has better IQ from close-up to long tele as well as intimidate portraits and landscape.

I believe FZ200 was actually competing with Lumix G5. It might be hurting G6's sales too. How would it affect GX7 is yet to see.

But I till expect Panasonic to release FZ250 asap. -- if it has a constant fast aperture and an extended zoom range.

I think when they anounced the FZ70 and made the comment that the FZ200 will remain in the line up that this statement pretty much said the FZ200 will be around for at least another 6 months or even until next summer. I bet they are redesigning with the new sensor technology they anounced a while back.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Vandyu
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Aug 13, 2013

I hope Panasonic does give us another enthusiast-quality superzoom. There are buyers who want the longest zoom with the largest megapixel count and they shoot kids at ballgames, family events, and vacations, but aren't necessarily into macros or wildlife. Then, there are the superzoom enthusiasts, many of whom have been using DSLRs and who tire of lugging the old lens bag around. The latter are attracted to superzooms that are "more than pretty faces" so to speak. These are the folks who recognize that certain combinations of features, such as those in the FZ200, can provide the best of both worlds: a compact, lightweight camera with the capability to provide excellent IQ for a wide range of shots. No camera is perfect, but Panasonic's FZ lineup continues to come quite close. As an enthusiast, I'm in the market for an upgrade to my FZ150 and I'd like that to be an FZ250.

-- hide signature --

John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,703Gear list
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Aug 13, 2013

IMHO not a chance. Panasonic overstretched the ability of the FZ200 and must reign it in or damage severely its 4/3" range.

Panasonic killed off the FZ50 for the same reason, with them and 'experts' citing all sorts of reasons.

Basically you can't keep the constant aperture AND have the widest ranging zoom on the market. The FZ200 could not be changed to compete further.

In the many times I have started a thread saying to Panasonic "Bring back the FZ50", someone always replies to the thread along the lines of 'I totally agree John, on with a 28 to 500 lens'. Immediately it isn't an FZ50 replacement then.

A correct replacement to either the FZ50 or the FZ200 is one that improves totally on the principle redeeming features of the design. Panasonic doesn't do that so it pays the ultimate price of being rendered an also ran in the camera world.

Consider this:

The nearest Panasonic can get to an FZ50 at present is a GH3 with a 14-140 lens attached. Immediately, buying a Canon D60 with 18-200 is a better option.

Only by being lighter, smaller, quieter, more discrete and be ergonomically smaller form from 35mm equiv through to 420mm equiv can the FZ50 still compete against its modern equivalent.

Yet if Pansonic did NO MORE than rerelease the FZ50 with a slightly bigger screen, FZ200 EVF, LX7 sensor and modern processing, it would immediately offer a distinct advantage over not only that Canon, but a great many other cameras also. It is the fact that so many people leap in and decree that it will never happen, that we don't get the useful cameras we desire. I am currently carrying that FZ50 around on holiday with no bag or strap, just my fingers hooked under that grip as it hangs on its side. What other camera can I do that with? None.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,880Gear list
Like?

Einst Stein wrote:

I own ( and love ) a Panasonic FZ200 and a couple of Nex cameras, 16Mp and 24mp. I can tell you now the Panasonic IQ is not as good as either Nex camera. The Sony sensors are far bigger and capable of capturing far more detail in lower light or higher ISO than the Panasonic.

I am not saying the Panasonic is bad - its not, it can perform astonishingly well and of course has that wonderful flexible lens.

I doubt the FZ200 cannibalises sales from any compact system camera - I think it probably complements them - thats why I own both systems.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
bimbobo
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Aug 13, 2013

I think there is a good market for the superzooms if they can improve the low light/high ISO performance in some way.

I do not care of 60X or 24 MP, I can really live with 24/30X if they can give me 1600 ISO quality shots with less noise that the FZ 150/200 give now.

I would upgrade to a FXxxx if it would be there with higher IQ. The flexibility of these cams has a big advantage for people who are not interested in buying a camera with 2 lenses.

Something between the actual superzoom lever and a low end DSLR like the EOS 100/ Nikon 3200...

It can be done and even if the size of the camera increase a bit, it still would please a lot of people like me.

-- hide signature --

Ignorant photograph beginner

kiwigirl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Miles, Aug 13, 2013

One feature on the FZ50 that I miss sorely on my GH2 is the 2nd wheel.  I only have one and have to push to alternate between aperture and shutter when in manual mode.  Occasionally I read an article by some top photographer who smugly states they 'only' shoot in manual mode and I feel obliged to try it!  Then I end up all fingers and thumbs and totally frustrated - and go back to my comfort zone - A or S mode!

And they say the GH series has lots of external controls! - think the Gh3 has brought back the second wheel.  But when Panny got it right so many years ago, why has it taken so long to come full circle?

kiwigirl's gear list:kiwigirl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +3 more
Einst Stein
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Aug 13, 2013

It's no brainer that Nex has much larger sensor. It's 2X of Lumix G and probably 10x of FZ200. But it's IQ does not show the advantage in the combination of Sony's kit lens. With Zeiss prime lens? may be.

I was actually very very surprised that with the lens combination, Sony's kit lens does not give me the IQ of G5 + Lumix 14-42mm or 45-150mm nor FZ200, under the normal lighting. Under very very lowlight, I'd say Nex is still better than G5, and G5 is better than FZ200, but that's not my typical usage. I didn't try Nex with Zeiss prime lens. I believe it should be better, and that could make Nex really shines. Again, that's not likely to be the typical usage for the Nex users.

manthasfamily
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,615Gear list
Like?

Einst Stein wrote:

The FZ200 takes great pictures that is for sure, but in my opinion, it has limitations next to the m4/3 cameras, especially in the ISO department.  I can get very workable pictures with an ISO 1250, on my G3, and there is no way the FZ200 can compete.  Like I said I've seen wonderful pics with the FZ200, but to compete with the G6 or GX7 if you put both cameras in the hands of the same person I truly believe the m4/3 would win.  But that being said the FZ series has it's advantages with its all in one package.

-- hide signature --

Karen
If it pleases you then to hell what everyone else thinks!

manthasfamily's gear list:manthasfamily's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +2 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,880Gear list
Like?

Einst Stein wrote:

It's no brainer that Nex has much larger sensor. It's 2X of Lumix G and probably 10x of FZ200. But it's IQ does not show the advantage in the combination of Sony's kit lens. With Zeiss prime lens? may be.

I was actually very very surprised that with the lens combination, Sony's kit lens does not give me the IQ of G5 + Lumix 14-42mm or 45-150mm nor FZ200, under the normal lighting. Under very very lowlight, I'd say Nex is still better than G5, and G5 is better than FZ200, but that's not my typical usage. I didn't try Nex with Zeiss prime lens. I believe it should be better, and that could make Nex really shines. Again, that's not likely to be the typical usage for the Nex users.

The Nex kit lens ( 18 55 version) is very good indeed, far better than people realise.

I have had several works published and they were taken with the kit lens.

I do love the versatility of my FZ200 but it is not capable of capturing the fine detail that a bigger APSC sensor is capable of - even so it pushes to the max what a small sensor can do.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Einst Stein
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Aug 14, 2013

Sonyshine wrote

The Nex kit lens ( 18 55 version) is very good indeed, far better than people realise.

I have had several works published and they were taken with the kit lens.

I do love the versatility of my FZ200 but it is not capable of capturing the fine detail that a bigger APSC sensor is capable of - even so it pushes to the max what a small sensor can do.

I am glad you like your Nex kit lens.

It probably already well known that Nex kit lens is not high among all current kit lenses or major brands, including Fuji X, Lumix G, Canon Apsc dslr. I don't have my store test results any more, otherwise I can show you the difference. By the way, I always test multiple samples to avoid the sample variations.

No, Nex kit lhave is not sharper than fz200. The larger sensor does not offer more details. It dies, however, offer better low light nose reduction. I can see the difference at around iso 800-1600. Beyond 1600, they are all lemon.

Fz200, to my eyes, has a visible advantages in micro contrast over Nex+kit lens combination. I can boost overall contrast through post processing, but I am yet to learn how to do it for micro contrast. Theoretically I believe micro contrast can be done brought the in camera firmware. I am not sure whether fz200 achieves that by the lens natively or through the firmware, but it works for me. May be it is the native optical performance, otherwise, Sony should be able to get that too, and I know Nex already put in a lot of salt and MSG in its lens compensation.

overall, if anyone still thinks larger sensor means more details, he is still biased by the film theory. To update your knowledge, the main advantage in larger sensor, is either more resolution or less low light noise, but none of this implies more Details. The iq of Nex 6 over Nex 7 is a good example. Sorry, I should not talk so much about Nex here, this is oanasonic's forum. Pardon me. For further discussion on this topic, let's move to Sony forum.

Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,617Gear list
Like?
In reply to Einst Stein, Aug 14, 2013

You can get more detail with the larger sensor cameras usually because less noise reduction is applied at low ISO's and you can get more detail if you fork over the cash to buy a sharper lens or use a single focal length lens of great sharpness quality that isn't too expensive. I have seen the difference when you pay for the best lenses. A relative of mine is a sports photographer and she has multi thousand dollar lenses and a full frame camera. WOW to say the least. Amazing detail and perfectly clean images too.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Einst Stein
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Aug 15, 2013

I completely agree with you. The larger sensor with the adequate lens should have better IQ than a smaller sensor with similar lens.

But my point in the early post is, a larger sensor with inadequate lens could perform worse than a smaller sensor with adequate lens. That's what I've seen between FZ200 and the APS-C with the low end kit lens that I compared with.

An APS-C sensor has about 1 stop low light low noise advantage compared to m43, and about 3 stops over FZ200, if everything else is equal. At the tele end, FZ200's wide aperture ut it self in a very shining position compared to the larger sensor camera. I don't think any APS-C kit lens or lenses of similar grade can reach FZ200's level of quality.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads