GX7 Unboxing

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
G Sciorio
Regular MemberPosts: 294Gear list
Like?
GX7 Unboxing
11 months ago

Got a final 1.0 firmware GX7 earlier today and did a quick unboxing. Posting lots of shots now on my Google + feed BTW.

GX7 Unboxing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2fTHoFpqTug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-- hide signature --

Giulio Sciorio
Professional Photographer, Lumix Luminary and founder of Small Camera Big Picture
http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com
Circle me on G+
https://plus.google.com/u/0/102935018373310351741/
Portfolio
http://www.giuliosciorio.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
M Hamilton
Contributing MemberPosts: 664Gear list
Like?
Re: GX7 Unboxing
In reply to G Sciorio, 11 months ago

I'd love to see some ISO125 and 200 shots showing off the GX7's dynamic range.

M Hamilton's gear list:M Hamilton's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Ricoh GR Digital IV Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?

You did a crummy job on this video. Interesting to see pamphlets, plastic bags and then finally a 10 second look at the camera. Playing with the extended eye cup was horrible. Im waiting for you to post that the eye cup is torn and blame it on Panasonic. Post back if you do a better version.

Ps that chair looks like my grandmothers chair

-- hide signature --

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
SeeRoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
In reply to lmtfa, 11 months ago

"unboxing"

Definitive proof, were such proof needed, that there is absolutely no hope for the future of humanity.

Roy

MrTaikitso
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?
In reply to SeeRoy, 11 months ago

It's sad isn't it? Time for a spoof unboxing for a USB cable or something.

(One of the reasons I'm buying a GX7 is to create a spoof but using a human. Will post here when done.)

MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Samsung EX2F +1 more
saralecaire
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
In reply to MrTaikitso, 11 months ago

I don't get why you guys are so negative towards his post? Yes, we all know he is a marketing tool by Panasonic and some of his posts here are skewed. But unboxing video shows the contents of the retail package, which is exactly what he did. It's not a preview or review. Cut the guy some slack.

Roy van der Woning
Senior MemberPosts: 2,465
Like?
In reply to SeeRoy, 11 months ago

Definitive proof, were such proof needed, that there is absolutely no hope for the future of humanity.

Because we get excited over someone taking stuff out of a box?

No doubt that lmtfa's post is inflammatory, but I do sympathise with the gist behind it. Whatever do we get out of these "unboxing" videos, if not a glimpse at the actual product.

I for one have never been able to get my head around the fascination of seeing warranty cards and standard USB cables being taken out of a box.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,518Gear list
Like?

There is something weird with unboxing. This is firs time I see Panasonic box with lens already attached to the camera. Did Panasonic try to shave off the box body cap and lens rear cap?

The only dark thought that explain this phenomena: it was a second unboxing of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?
In reply to s_grins, 11 months ago

it would have been embarrassing if anything would have been wrong in a video made by a Panasonic "brand ambassador". like that time Windows threw up a BSOD when Bill Gates plugged in a scanner during a presentation.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,185Gear list
Like?

I am eagerly awaiting the cat photos.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, 11 months ago

Ok. But not nearly as good as your excellent FL600r unboxing video.

Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,852
Like?

s_grins wrote:

There is something weird with unboxing. This is firs time I see Panasonic box with lens already attached to the camera. Did Panasonic try to shave off the box body cap and lens rear cap?

The only dark thought that explain this phenomena: it was a second unboxing of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

Well, the GF6 certainly comes this way too (I know that for certain since I have one).  It's an unfortunate trend started by Sony with their NEX line - they've been doing it since the first NEX model - apparently it's catching on with other manufacturers as a way of saving money and space with the packaging.

Helen
Like?
In reply to Roy van der Woning, 11 months ago

Roy van der Woning wrote:

Because we get excited over someone taking stuff out of a box?

No doubt that lmtfa's post is inflammatory, but I do sympathise with the gist behind it. Whatever do we get out of these "unboxing" videos, if not a glimpse at the actual product.

I for one have never been able to get my head around the fascination of seeing warranty cards and standard USB cables being taken out of a box.

I found it useful because it answered one question I had: I'd wondered whether the 14-42 II supplied with the GX7 would have the plastic or the metal mount (answer: plastic, as with the GF6).

Manip16
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?

I just purchased a GF6 and mine came with the lens already attached, there was also no body cap or rear lens cap in the box. Although it did include the lens hood, which other manufacturers do not.

I will say, devil's advocate, that when I purchased my SLR kit and that came with a body cap/rear lens cap, I literally just screwed the rear lens cap into the body cap, and left them in the camera box indefinitely (they're still there now). When you buy an additional lens that comes with an additional rear lens cap which you then use on the lens you took off.

So while it could be considered irritating, Panasonic are "right" in that that body cap/rear lens cap is unneeded, as long as all of their individual lenses come with the rear lens cap included and that you never plan on reselling your camera "body only."

PS - I strongly suspect they did this to make it a little harder for people to split the kits and sell them separately at a profit. For example you could buy a GF6 for £300, then sell the lens "new" on eBay for £150, and the camera for £200 "body only." Make a nice tidy £50 profit.

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,282
Like?
In reply to Manip16, 11 months ago

Manip16 wrote:

I just purchased a GF6 and mine came with the lens already attached, there was also no body cap or rear lens cap in the box. Although it did include the lens hood, which other manufacturers do not.

I will say, devil's advocate, that when I purchased my SLR and that came with a body cap/rear lens cap, I literally just screwed the rear lens cap into the body cap, and left them in the camera box. When you buy an additional lens that comes with an additional rear lens cap which you then use on the lens you took off.

So while it could be considered irritating, Panasonic are "right" in that that body cap/rear lens cap is unneeded, as long as all of their individual lenses come with the rear lens cap included and that you never plan on reselling your camera "body only."

I just bought a new EPM2 kit with a 14-42 IIr lens, and if it came without lens caps or body cap, I would have shipped it right back for "parts missing".

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Manip16
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
In reply to herebefore, 11 months ago

I just bought a new EPM2 kit with a 14-42 IIr lens, and if it came without lens caps or body cap, I would have shipped it right back for "parts missing".

And that is your prerogative. But would you ever actually use them? Most people keep a lens mounted to their camera for that camera's entire lifetime.

Plus the caps are £2.5 on Amazon. So if you want them then by all means order some. I'd prefer to pay £5 less for my camera than have caps I'll never use.

Helen
Like?
In reply to herebefore, 11 months ago

herebefore wrote:

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Well, if an Olympus kit came without them, they WOULD be missing and it would be unsatisfactory, since the body and lens are packaged separately within the box (Olympus have only gone as far as using that rather cheap push-on rear lens cap in place of the nice, original bayonet one, of course).  But now Panasonic's gone for the idea of packaging the camera with the lens already mounted on it, including the caps would be a bit fiddly, I suppose they could argue!

At least they include the hood, though, as others have mentioned.  Wish Olympus did (they used to with Four Thirds lenses but never have with Micro Four Thirds).

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,536Gear list
Like?
Unboxing cats? You mean, like the wrapped cat in NL's Christmas Vacation?
In reply to CameraCarl, 11 months ago

If I remember correctly, that cat used up all of its nine lives rather quickly.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,536Gear list
Like?
Actually, I used the caps all of the time and keep a pair in my bag.
In reply to Manip16, 11 months ago

This is because I often carry more than one body, and perhaps I'm switching my lenses off and on just one body for part of the shoot - for example when I realize that I'll just be shooting video for awhile. This happened at a shoot last week at a big stadium performance when I learned that I wouldn't be using my OM-D, but had the lenses for my GH3 lined up on the table in front of me, so I could alternate.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,658
Like?
Camera body cap is very useful

A camera body cap is very useful.  Although some people always have a lens attached many people keep a body without lens attached.  For example, when I travel I usually carry a backup body.  It has no lens attached, but has a body cap.  A body without lens attached is not a rare or unusual thing.

It is pretty surprising, if what is posted here is correct, that Panasonic for their new high end, expensive GX7 has been so cheap that they don't provide something very basic like a plastic body cap.  On their $1000 body they saved themselves, what, $0.03?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads