Is this dust on the sensor or problem with the lens

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Questions
techmine
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Is this dust on the sensor or problem with the lens
Aug 10, 2013

Folks, I just received my NX1000 (sale on woot). I fixed up the lens and everything was OK. Just when I started to play around more, I notice a black dot(on the right) appearing on my photos. I think its dust on the sensor. Its barely noticeable when lens is wide open like f3.5 but super black when closed at f22. Could this be a lens issue, by any chance?

-- hide signature --

Enjoying Digital age!

techmine's gear list:techmine's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix P300 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D40 Nikon D300S +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Samsung NX1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nx200USER1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048
Like?
Re: Is this dust on the sensor or problem with the lens
In reply to techmine, Aug 10, 2013

what you described being noticable at f22 and not wide open aperture is symptomatic of dust on the sensor. Another indicator is if the spot is at the same location in every shot.
Photographers will often say how they were unable to clean their sensor whilst travelling abroad and they were restricted to shooting closer to wide open and smaller dof.

Try using a blower of some kind, not your breath, not canned air and hopefully it will remove the contamination. Also try facing the sensor pointing down when you do it. Blow the chamber as well.

If that doesnt work then a wet solution is required.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?
In reply to nx200USER1, Aug 10, 2013

that would be step 2.

try step one first: in-camera sensor cleaning - you'll find it in the menu

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
techmine
Like?
In reply to Timmbits, Aug 10, 2013

Tried in-camera sensor cleaning multiple times but no use.

I will try a blower. Since I have not used the camera for even a week and exposed the sensor only once (first time when putting the kit lens), in my home, I have a feeling that this dust particle arrived with the camera. Unfortunately I can't prove it and so the bitter pill.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Enjoying Digital age!

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix P300 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D40 Nikon D300S +8 more
nx200USER1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048
Like?
In reply to techmine, Aug 10, 2013

i have read many peoples experience online that they observe sensor contamination even as a brand new boxed, unopened product. Its not uncommon and seems to be the luck of the draw.

techmine
Like?
In reply to nx200USER1, Aug 10, 2013

nx200USER1 wrote:

i have read many peoples experience online that they observe sensor contamination even as a brand new boxed, unopened product. Its not uncommon and seems to be the luck of the draw.

So in that case, is it worth calling the Samsung Support?

-- hide signature --

Enjoying Digital age!

techmine
Like?
In reply to techmine, Aug 11, 2013

After careful examination of the photos, I saw multiple stains on the sensor. There is no freakin way I could have caused this. Problem is, I bought it from Woot, who consider this as buyer's remorse and won't accept returns and Samsung will take weeks to repair this.

Called Samsung support and the rep asked me to reset the camera and asked me to give them a call later if the issue is not fixed. God.... I am in a deep ****.

-- hide signature --

Enjoying Digital age!

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to techmine, Aug 11, 2013

The first thing I do is take a good look at the sensor (naked eye or under magnifying lens) and see if I can spot the debris.  It should be inverse to how it appears in your trial photos.  Lots of good tutorials on the web; some are more comfortable than others with do-it-yourself.  Hopefully, Samsung will do a sensor clean gratis.

This is where the underdog companies (Samsung, Pentax, Sigma) can choose to excel-service and warranty work.

Good luck.

William Hubert
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gesture, Aug 11, 2013

I really don t understand so much fuss obverse cleaning the sensor . With many of my DSLR s it was routine clean the sensor. The method I used involved using Bausch and Lomb lens craning tissue which come moistened in a foil pack. That  is wrapped around a plastic tool and wiped in one direction across the sensor. Much harder to do than an the NX because the mirror was in the way and it was deeper in the body.

Also IF  you have photos itch spots Lightroom can help . Show it the spots and will fix a series of photos.

Bill

-- hide signature --

As with many things in life a great photograph has strong appeal for what is NOT in the picture.

William Hubert's gear list:William Hubert's gear list
Samsung NV11 Samsung TL500 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D +17 more
techmine
Like?
In reply to William Hubert, Aug 13, 2013

William Hubert wrote:

I really don t understand so much fuss obverse cleaning the sensor . With many of my DSLR s it was routine clean the sensor. The method I used involved using Bausch and Lomb lens craning tissue which come moistened in a foil pack. That is wrapped around a plastic tool and wiped in one direction across the sensor. Much harder to do than an the NX because the mirror was in the way and it was deeper in the body.

Also IF you have photos itch spots Lightroom can help . Show it the spots and will fix a series of photos.

Bill

-- hide signature --

As with many things in life a great photograph has strong appeal for what is NOT in the picture.

Yes if you get the dust on these sensors after months of usage on the field. I am not complaining about the dust or methods of cleaning but the fact that my camera came with contaminated sensor.

-- hide signature --

Enjoying Digital age!

techmine
Like?
In reply to techmine, Aug 13, 2013

For those who are interested: After my initial talk with Samsung, I got a surprise followup call from them, asking if the problem still exists. I told them "YES" and there are several stains on the sensor. So they created a service request and now my brand new camera is going for a factory service.

Let's hope it does not turn out to be a lemon!

-- hide signature --

Enjoying Digital age!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads