There's something about the Cream Machine...

Started Aug 9, 2013 | Discussions
RodluvanII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,509Gear list
Like?
how very very silly.
In reply to Uncle Frank, Aug 14, 2013

How very, very silly. A edited b/w photo, with a smooth backdrop at very low resolution (and by the looks of it; using a very destructive jpg compression), taken at f/5. are you seriously suggesting that anyone should be able to tell that it is taken with the "cream machine" and not the 1.8/85D??

Nice photo though!

Uncle Frank wrote:

Ray Ritchie wrote:

What am I supposed to see?

Not a thing, Ray. Consider yourself lucky if you don't see the difference between the 85/1.4 and any other 85mm lens. You'll have saved a lot of money.

-- hide signature --

Warm regards, Frank
Galleries at fdrphoto.smugmug.com

-- hide signature --

www.martinilux.com

RodluvanII's gear list:RodluvanII's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray Roberts
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?
Re: There's something about the Cream Machine...
In reply to Cytokine, Aug 29, 2013

Sorry your rose @ f2 looks sharp but @ 1.6 and 1.4 it is not sharp at all anywhere. If I showed you my images of flowers shot @ 1.4 from the new Sigma you would cry your eyes out. Now I know this original post was about the creamy bokeh but that is hopeless if you cant get anything sharp wide open.

Ray Roberts's gear list:Ray Roberts's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,324Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Roberts, Aug 29, 2013

Ray Roberts wrote:

Sorry your rose @ f2 looks sharp but @ 1.6 and 1.4 it is not sharp at all anywhere. If I showed you my images of flowers shot @ 1.4 from the new Sigma you would cry your eyes out. Now I know this original post was about the creamy bokeh but that is hopeless if you cant get anything sharp wide open.

The 85 1.4D is a portrait lens not a macro/flower lens. It was designed for one purpose, to photograph beautiful women.

If you want sharp, the 60 2.8D is as about good as it gets. By the way it sucks shooting beautiful women.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

low3llSD
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
In reply to Uncle Frank, Aug 30, 2013

The G model is fine tuned for digital, but the 85/1.4D paints with a vintage brush that delights my Old School sensibilities.

-- hide signature --

Warm regards, Frank
Galleries at fdrphoto.smugmug.com

Nice photo. Even more beautiful model.

low3llSD's gear list:low3llSD's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +3 more
onedawg
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Aug 31, 2013

I call Nikon's 85 1.4(s) the cream machines as well but I've only used the 1.4G, which I rented from lensrentals.com (definitely not an affordable lens for me to actually buy at this time). Here's a picture of my niece taken with my D5100 @ f/1.4. Not the best job of framing but I liked her expression in this one.

Nikon 85 1.4G: 1/640, ISO 100, f/1.4

ravenoaks45
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to low3llSD, Aug 31, 2013

Not a criticism of lens or model but does anyone else think that the right eye of the model is LARGER than the left................

Tom Spaulding
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
In reply to ravenoaks45, Sep 1, 2013

ravenoaks45 wrote:

Not a criticism of lens or model but does anyone else think that the right eye of the model is LARGER than the left................

Can't tell, she has sunglasses on

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,410Gear list
Like?
Re: Asymmetric eyes (other other facial features).....
In reply to ravenoaks45, Sep 1, 2013

ravenoaks45 wrote:

Hi!

Although a bit off topic, it's not unusual to have asymmetry in facial features, including the eyes (well, not the eyeball itself!)..

In fact, if one clones half of a portrait, makes a mirror image of it, and superimposes it on the other side to give a perfectly symmetric face, it tends to look weird and not quite like the actual person.

I recently took a quick snapshot of my daughter a month ago when I saw that the late afternoon light was getting nice. Here's the "out of the camera" JPEG. Note her relatively droopy right eye:

Nikon D4 ,Carl Zeiss ZF.2 Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
1/1000s f/2.8 at 135.0mm iso800

Even though she dislikes it when I touch up her photos, I find it difficult to resist at least a little post processing. And her eye is usually not that droopy!

It's pretty quick and easy to do some basic adjustments in Portrait Professional.

In addition to softening  some shadows, reducing some of the skin "shine", and softening her complexion, I selectively widened her right eye a bit until it looked more like she usually does (at least to me!  But what do I know...I'm her biased Dad!):

Best Regards,

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
JJ1983
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to Cope, Sep 1, 2013

Cope wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Nice image, but having used that lens for many years I prefer the Sigma 85mm f1.4 I use now. Better wide open, bokeh just as nice (dare I say better?), HSM, reversable hood.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

That's not surprising. Sigma has made nice lenses for many years.

I did find it surprising. I have the same Sigma 85 and I don't think the bokeh is good. It does deliver with sharpness, AF speed and ease of use (silent focus, reversible hood), I'll give you that. But bokeh... meh.

glo
glo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087Gear list
Like?
In reply to Uncle Frank, Sep 2, 2013

Frank, nice shot and cute kid. I had the 1.4D then a few years back went to the G. I notice faster focus and a bit more pleasing contrast but that's about it. They're both awesome lenses and to me the difference in quality is very subtile. I have to admit, the bayonet reversible hood is one of those simple and small things in life that I appreciate.

always enjoy seeing your posts, keep'm coming,

glo

glo's gear list:glo's gear list
Nikon D3X Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +1 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,662Gear list
Like?
In reply to JJ1983, Sep 2, 2013

JJ1983 wrote:

Cope wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Nice image, but having used that lens for many years I prefer the Sigma 85mm f1.4 I use now. Better wide open, bokeh just as nice (dare I say better?), HSM, reversable hood.

-- hide signature --

That's not surprising. Sigma has made nice lenses for many years.

I did find it surprising. I have the same Sigma 85 and I don't think the bokeh is good. It does deliver with sharpness, AF speed and ease of use (silent focus, reversible hood), I'll give you that. But bokeh... meh.

Bokeh is subjective, but yes, I like it.

-- hide signature --

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
xtm
xtm
Contributing MemberPosts: 725Gear list
Like?
In reply to slimandy, Sep 3, 2013

Dear Frank,

Your only mistake was that.... you posted here in DPR, where (most) have no manners. The Cafe misses you, and your posts are always nice, oftentimes inspiring.

I will tell you this... having owned the: 85 f/2 AI, 85 1.4G (which I hated...a lot), Sigma 85 1.4 HSM, 85 1.8G and D, and finally, the 85 1.4D, my favorite is still the 1.4D. There's something about it that is hard to describe. It paints....beautifully. The 1.4G is WAY too clinical for my taste, and I have to say that I wasn't very happy with its bokeh. In fact I sold my G and went back to the D.

And yes, I have the 200/2 VR1. I know what good bokeh looks like. The 1.4G is pedestrian IMO.

Uncle Frank-- keep posting and ignore the trolls.

xtm's gear list:xtm's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads