Olympus XZ-1, still crazy sharp and capable!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,761Gear list
Like?
Olympus XZ-1, still crazy sharp and capable!
8 months ago

Things I find unexpected...actual real-world low light usage is extremely capable, I can shoot til dawn because of the combination of sharp bright lens, subjectively good looking shadow noise, and better than expected IS.  Dynamic range is also better than expected again due to shadow noise that is not unpleasant.  Pretty much sharp corner to corner throughout the focal length and focal distances.  Better than expected Macro shots again due to strong lens and better than expected IS.  Never even really shot a serious CCD sensor before, but I like the overall look.  From searching the forums for equivalent focal length it even appears that the wide angle is better than manufacturer spec and is a decent bit wider than 28mm effective.  Below shots I was trying to get classic 'focal lengths' and was off a few, but was trying for 28, 35, 50, 85, and 105

I've seen very few fast zoom lenses with this much range that can hold up in consistent quality.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
imrryr38
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus XZ-1, still crazy sharp and capable!
In reply to Timbukto, 8 months ago

XZ-1 lense is a gem........

imrryr38's gear list:imrryr38's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Nik Silver Efex Pro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?
In reply to imrryr38, 8 months ago

I will second that , a lens which has now made it to three camera models and two manufacturers.

Not a common sight in the P&S camera world.

Aaron

Michael_13
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
nice series

Yes, Tim, this lens alone is worth the price of the camera. The current prices are simply ridiculous.

Hint: If you want even more sharpness, use F2.8-F4.0.

Greetings,

Michael

Timbukto
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, 8 months ago

Aaron Sur wrote:

I will second that , a lens which has now made it to three camera models and two manufacturers.

Aaron

I'm clueless, I know the XZ-1 and XZ-2 have this lens, whats the other one?

Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Timbukto
Like?
Re: nice series
In reply to Michael_13, 8 months ago

Don't need any more sharpness, the 100% crops are ridiculously good wide open!  Also this camera seems to behave well with ETTR?  This was a 1 and 2/3rds exposure pull *down* with a white car!

Clouds, wall, and most of the car is still fine.

Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 689Gear list
Like?

Timbukto wrote:

Aaron Sur wrote:

Aaron

I'm clueless, I know the XZ-1 and XZ-2 have this lens, whats the other one?

Probably this one; Pentax MX-1

http://digi-kuva.fi/files/bonnier-dif/mx-1_web.jpg

It is not official, I did not read it anywhere. But same sensor size, exact same optical features (28-112 mm / F 1.8 - 2.5 ) makes us folks suspicious.

And it kinda looks smilar is not it ?

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
Aaron Sur
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, 8 months ago

spot on Ben!

usually a good camera is let down by average glass, the case in most kit zooms with APSC SLR's.

In this case the sensor is the one that ends up failing in difficult light, but when the light is good it's another story.

Straight from camera no PP.

PON307G
Regular MemberPosts: 325Gear list
Like?
Re: nice series

Tim,

Agree, great series. I try to use my XZ-1 every day, and have no problem continuing to do so. For my use it does all I need, with the possible exception shooting wildlife.

Regards,

Larry C.

PON307G's gear list:PON307G's gear list
Olympus XZ-1
Everhandy
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?

The XZ-1 continues to be my favorite compact. I have compared it directly (both in the studio and out in the real world) with many of it's closest competitors including the G12, G15, S110, S100 and LX7, to name a few. It has tremendously pleasing output for it's size and cost. Built very well and never seems to fail. A true gem of a camera, especially for the next to nothing prices you can pick one up for these days.

Olympus XZ-1 ISO100 F2.0 1/100sec.38mm eq.

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 1,833Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, 8 months ago

"Not a common sight in the P&S camera world."

Actually quite common in the early digital days. A lens that appeared on the early Canon G series was also used by Casio (QV-3000 to QV-4000), a Sony camera (S70-85 era?) and perhaps others. Toshiba?  Thus, my Casio QV-4000 uses that f/2-f/2.5 lens.  Even says Canon lens on the camera. I remember Phil Askey charting this way back when.  How about a guest review, Phil?

Aaron Sur
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 8 months ago

Interesting about your Casio I was not aware of that , then again I was thinking of current digital cams not models from thirteen years ago :-D.

Phil Askey left DPR more than three years ago, but you might get lucky.

Joe0Bloggs
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,391
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 8 months ago

There's also the Konica Minolta GT 7x lens, which was used on the DiMAGE 5, 7, 7i, 7Hi, A1, A2, and A200, 7 models spanning 5 years!

-- hide signature --
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 1,833Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joe0Bloggs, 8 months ago

Good one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads