Which forum for the new camera ?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815Gear list
Like?
Which forum for the new camera ?
11 months ago

Forget the speculation regarding technical specs. The real questions are . . .

If the new camera is fully capable of using m4/3 and 4/3 lenses and is a hybrid rather then a mirrorless m4/3 with an adapter, then to which DPR forum will it belong ?

m4/3 (I thought) was a lens/mount specification and not specifically related to being mirrorless EVF.

Perhaps the "m" should now be with reference to "mirrorless" rather than "micro". In which case the new camera should live with Micro Four Thirds Talk. I'm sure the folk there will be happy with that, and a minor re-name of the DPR forum to Mirrorless  Four Thirds Talk

Or perhaps a new Forum will be appropriate, dedicated to Imaging with 4/3 lenses.

What will happen with Andrew's weekly 4/3 DSLR Images forum where one of the rules is
"No Micro4/3!" Andrew, how will you define a hybrid camera ?

Olympus will almost certainly place their new offspring within their OM-D family. But where should DPR place it ??

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +22 more
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,796Gear list
Like?
Re: Which forum for the new camera ?
In reply to Messier Object, 11 months ago

Messier Object wrote:

Forget the speculation regarding technical specs. The real questions are . . .

If the new camera is fully capable of using m4/3 and 4/3 lenses and is a hybrid rather then a mirrorless m4/3 with an adapter, then to which DPR forum will it belong ?

m4/3 (I thought) was a lens/mount specification and not specifically related to being mirrorless EVF.

Perhaps the "m" should now be with reference to "mirrorless" rather than "micro". In which case the new camera should live with Micro Four Thirds Talk. I'm sure the folk there will be happy with that, and a minor re-name of the DPR forum to Mirrorless Four Thirds Talk

Or perhaps a new Forum will be appropriate, dedicated to Imaging with 4/3 lenses.

What will happen with Andrew's weekly 4/3 DSLR Images forum where one of the rules is
"No Micro4/3!" Andrew, how will you define a hybrid camera ?

Olympus will almost certainly place their new offspring within their OM-D family. But where should DPR place it ??

Peter

Once there is a new camera, and once the specifications and versatility of the new camera are ascertained, then I suspect DPR will figure out what to do. At that point, m4/3 and 4/3 owners will not doubt rightly chime in on what should happen. Until then, it is speculation built on a rumor. Just one take.

In the worst case I would be reading two forums.  I might learn something.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,845Gear list
Like?

certainly the micro forum will get unmanageable at the rate its growing
it might just be that we go back to Olympus/Panasonic forums anyway

either that or they find some better way to divide up 1041
and 1022 gets left with what its got

but I think the pressure will be on for a 'change'

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 11,589Gear list
Like?

As to the Weekly 4/3 Thread, Lou Holland started the thread and set up the rules. I abbreviated them slightly. I have no idea how to proceed and am certainly open to suggestion. As no doubt many have ascertained by now, I have two m4/3 bodies, the EPM1 and the OMDEM5. 90% of my shooting now is EM5. The other 10% is E3. I also have an E1 but it gets taken out about once a year for a few shots. I visit the m4/3 forum regularly but do not post there nearly as often as here (10%, maybe 20 on a slack week). I don't find the regulars there to be as interested in image threads as here and so have not posted many images there. Interestingly though, the image in my gallery with the most hits (currently 534) was only posted there and received few hits originally so I am not sure where the interest is being generated and it isn't a particularly good image, only mediocre at best.

I have always favoured an Olympus interchangeable lens forum rather than the current set up. Others differ in this and I appreciate and respect their point of view. If the E5 is the last 4/3 body to be built, then I am going to guess that this forum will suffer a lingering decline as long time users go elsewhere, and many will be to other brands. Many have left to the m4/3 forum already having adopted an m4/3 body. Some, like me, are dual shooters.

I don't pretend to have any answers on this issue and am happy to entertain ideas. However, having said that, I will not take part in unpleasant discussion about this or any other issue. Life is too short and I don't need any reasons to have to up my blood pressure medication!

So I haven't really answered any questions.  Maybe I should go into politics   It is too early for me to get excited/worried about the possibilities.  However, if we are trying to lay claim that it should reside here we would be on shaky ground without this becoming the Olympus Interchangeable Lens Camera Forum.

Andrew

Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
In reply to 19andrew47, 11 months ago

Olympus m4/3 forum and Olympus Pro Body forum, we certainly don't want any of those girlie m4/3 shooters wandering into our forum.   haha just a joke guys don't get your panties in a wad

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
One Beautiful Forum for One
No text.
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
Re: One Beautiful Forum for One Beautiful System
In reply to Craig from Nevada, 11 months ago
No text.
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,282
Like?
Re: Which forum for the new camera - The easy answer...

It will Either be a 4/3 camera, or it wont.

If a ZD 4/3 lens mounts on it without an adapter, then it is a 4/3 camera.

If a 4/3 lens requires an adapter, then it is NOT a 4/3 camera... Whatever else it may be, if it requires an adapter, then its not 4/3.

I have nothing against M4/3, I own 5 of them, and use them daily, but they aren't 4/3 just because I can put a 4/3 lens on an adapter and plunk it in.

Edit: Even if the adapter actually gets the lens to "work" as originally intended, it still doesn't turn it into a 4/3 camera.

Lets not build a false controversy.

Have you given any thought that the new camera may be NEITHER 4/3 or M4/3??

It could easily be a camera with a hole in its front that takes an adapter for M4/3 or an adapter for 4/3. It would be neither "fish nor fowl".

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815Gear list
Like?
In reply to herebefore, 11 months ago

herebefore wrote:

If a 4/3 lens requires an adapter, then it is NOT a 4/3 camera... Whatever else it may be, if it requires an adapter, then its not 4/3.

I have nothing against M4/3, I own 5 of them, and use them daily, but they aren't 4/3 just because I can put a 4/3 lens on an adapter and plunk it in.

Edit: Even if the adapter actually gets the lens to "work" as originally intended, it still doesn't turn it into a 4/3 camera.

It could easily be a camera with a hole in its front that takes an adapter for M4/3 or an adapter for 4/3. It would be neither "fish nor fowl".

My scenario is for the camera to by a true hybrid - the one beautiful system. 
Some on this forum have already contemplated various designs that would accommodate both lens types.  And now you have added another possible variety that's got neither native mount. And yes I did think of that possibility.

So what's your easy answer ?

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +22 more
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,282
Like?

Messier Object wrote:

herebefore wrote:

My scenario is for the camera to by a true hybrid - the one beautiful system.
Some on this forum have already contemplated various designs that would accommodate both lens types. And now you have added another possible variety that's got neither native mount. And yes I did think of that possibility.

So what's your easy answer ?

Peter

Since I'm convinced that using both types of lens on the same camera is going to require an adapter of some sort, whichever lens type requires the adapter is not the category the camera falls into.

If I put a 4/3 lens on an adapter and mount it on my M4/3 camera, it does NOT turn my M4/3 camera into a 4/3 camera.

The EASY ANSWER:

If the 4/3 lens requires an adapter (to me, the most likely fix) then the camera isn't 4/3, it is M4/3.

If the camera somehow can take a 4/3 lens without an adapter, but requires an adapter for M4/3, (A less likely fix because of the flange distance problem) then the camera isn't an M4/3 it is 4/3.

Only if the camera requires an adapter for both or neither type of lens (the least likely of all) do we have a decision to make, and we can make it with a simple poll.

Thats what makes it an EASY answer, its one, or the other, or requires a simple poll.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

YetiYeti
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to Rriley, 11 months ago

either that or they find some better way to divide up 1041 and 1022 gets left with what its got

A new forum should be calculated like " (1041 + 1022) / 2 = 1031.5 "

So if you really think "where to put an imaginary cam" is a problem, 1031.5 forum it is - just in the middle, so everybody is happy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads