Nikon AW110 or Olympus TG-2

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions
Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,430Gear list
Like?
Nikon AW110 or Olympus TG-2
Aug 7, 2013

Trying to decide between theses two tough under water cameras for use when kayaking. Anyone actually use both? I looked at the reviews here of both and they seem rated about the same. I went to Bestbuy to try them out. BUT cant put SD card into them as they have a cable setp that powers them at the store blocking access to memory card.

Just looking at lcd screen it looks like Nikon has less noise and is slightly sharper. This also seems to be in the review pictures here. I like the way you get acess to setting on the Olympus much better though and it even has aperture priority setting were nikon is more auto everything. Plus Olympus has wider aperture lens a F2.0 at wide down to F4.9 at full zoom.

Nikon is cheaper by about 60 bucks too depending on were you look.

Any opinions?

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Nikon Coolpix AW110
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ken Hadi
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Nikon AW110 Overexposure
In reply to Daniel Clune, Aug 10, 2013

I don't know about Olympus, but I found`Nikon AW110 inconsistently Overexposure with flash.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51960191

I bought it from Amazon uk, from new.

I don't know if it's only my copy or if others have the same experience.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken G.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,330Gear list
Like?
Just saw this thread...
In reply to Daniel Clune, 10 months ago

I tried both of these cameras several months ago.  I decided to wait until the next versions of them are released, hoping that the noise reduction they both apply might get toned down a bit.  If I had to choose between the 2, I'd go with the Nikon.  I thought it applied less noise reduction, leaving the images with better detail than the Oly.  I did like the Olympus' menu system better, but the image IQ was not quite equal to the Nikon, IMO.

Here's a link to my shots with the Oly - TG-1/TG-2 Images

and the Nikon - AW-110 Images

Good luck, if you haven't already decided.

-- hide signature --

Camera gear in profile.
Ken G.
http://www.pbase.com/kgilbertsen/

Ken G.'s gear list:Ken G.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads