Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Dierks Bentley, The Band Perry and more at the Boots And Hearts Festi

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions
Doug Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,897
Like?
Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Dierks Bentley, The Band Perry and more at the Boots And Hearts Festi
Aug 6, 2013

Photos are now up on the site blog from the 4 day Boots And Heart Country Music Festival held this past weekend in Bowmanville (just outside Toronto)

They were shot with a mix of Four Thirds DSLR (three E30's ) and regular Four Thirds lenses, and the Olympus E-M5 with 14-150mm and 45mm 1.8 mZuiko lenses. You can't really tell which is which ; ) but the montage above is all Micro Four Thirds.
The Jason Aldean photos and everything from Friday and Saturday were all done on the E30's with either the 75-300mm (which did a surprisingly good job) or 14-54mm lenses.

Sunday is the day I shot and it's all Micro.

I think that soon the distinction between Four Thirds and Micro is going to mean a lot less.

To see more photos, please click here

Douglas Brown

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Doug Brown
Like?
Montage ....
In reply to Doug Brown, Aug 6, 2013

Lets try that again. The montage of images from Sunday.

http://g4.img-dpreview.com/9E7B1478576845FA996A24BB6FDAB7D0.jpg

Douglas Brown

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,497Gear list
Like?
Re: Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Dierks Bentley, The Band Perry and more
In reply to Doug Brown, Aug 6, 2013

A great set, as usual Doug.  Don't know that I have any favourites but the Band Perry shots and Miranda Lambert were every thing they should be.

Andrew

Doug Brown
Like?
Re: Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Dierks Bentley, The Band Perry and more
In reply to 19andrew47, Aug 6, 2013

19andrew47 wrote:

A great set, as usual Doug. Don't know that I have any favourites but the Band Perry shots and Miranda Lambert were every thing they should be.

Andrew

Thank-you.

My favourites are the Jason Aldean shots Corey did in the rain with that dim, slow focusing 70-300mm lens on the E30.
I think he pulled off two good shots there against the odds.

Douglas Brown

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,723
Like?
Re: Miranda Lambert
In reply to Doug Brown, Aug 7, 2013

Doug, did you have any issues with Miranda Lambert's photo approval? An associate of mine covered her concert here about a month ago. He submitted 25 pics for approval and she approved only 12. Of those, only 4 were shots of her (the rest were crowd shots or back up musicians). That same weekend I photographed Paula Cole and only had to deal with the standard "first three songs and be discrete" rule.

We've been having a lot of discussion of late as to how some performers have become such Prima Donnas they make it extremely difficult for photographers. I know there are some rude photographers who can spoil a show for paying audience members, but don't some of these performerd understand we are helping their careers by providing coverage of concerts for their fans?
--
If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Doug Brown
Like?
Re: Miranda Lambert
In reply to CharlesB58, Aug 7, 2013

CharlesB58 wrote:

Doug, did you have any issues with Miranda Lambert's photo approval? An associate of mine covered her concert here about a month ago. He submitted 25 pics for approval and she approved only 12. Of those, only 4 were shots of her (the rest were crowd shots or back up musicians). That same weekend I photographed Paula Cole and only had to deal with the standard "first three songs and be discrete" rule.

We've been having a lot of discussion of late as to how some performers have become such Prima Donnas they make it extremely difficult for photographers. I know there are some rude photographers who can spoil a show for paying audience members, but don't some of these performerd understand we are helping their careers by providing coverage of concerts for their fans?
--
If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

At first both Dierks Bentley and Miranda Lambert were no photo / no video and we thought we'd all have an early day.

A couple hours before their sets those rules changed to the standard 3 songs policy from the media pit (which surprised me because a lot of female stars want everything shot from the distance of the sound board)
The Boots And Hearts publicist was working hard to get us permission and she was successful. However, for Miranda we were only allowed on one side of the catwalk, and were kept about 20 ft. back from the edge of the stage. There were no restrictions for Dierks show.

I have never submitted photos for prior approval, even though it has been in many written releases I've signed. Those releases are basically unenforceable and exist simply as a safety net in case something happens during the show.

If, for instance, Miranda had a an embarrassing wardrobe failure in the middle of the three songs, or if a photographer put a very unflattering shot of her out there (career suicide for the photographer, but I know one HELLO Magazine regular who did exactly that with Beyonce and hasn't worked in Toronto since) then by signing that agreement her management has some kind of legal comeback.
They can say the photo wasn't approved and threaten legal action.

As for submitting photos before publishing, almost all of the concert shooters here in Toronto completely ignore it, there are never any consequences.
It is ridiculous to approve photo agencies to cover your show and then expect that they will hold off putting the shots out there pending approval. The photo agency world is all about speed to market.

Same with media shooters. You'd blow everyone's deadline by insisting on that procedure.

Douglas Brown

Doug Brown
Like?
BTW: ...

During the entire 4 day event none of the acts at Boots And Hearts asked photographers to sign agreements, however Jason Aldean insisted we shoot back by the sound board.
He was the only artist who had conditions, and as conditions go that's a pretty modest one.

However it did put a dent in the day of some of the bloggers who were using smart phones because it required a 400mm - 500mm focal length : )

Corey did it for us with the 70-300mm DZ lens.

Douglas Brown

Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
Re: Doug, I see that you are using the 14x150 and

I wonder if you are well satisfied with the IQ of that lens? I'm considering a purchase of the EM-5 and 14x150 as a travel camera.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Doug Brown
Like?
Re: Doug, I see that you are using the 14x150 and
In reply to Bobby J, Aug 7, 2013

Bobby J wrote:

I wonder if you are well satisfied with the IQ of that lens? I'm considering a purchase of the EM-5 and 14x150 as a travel camera.

-- hide signature --

BJM

The 14-150mm mZuiko is a really underrated lens. When I travel all I take is the E-M5 and the 14-150mm. Sometimes I'll throw in the 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8 for lower light but when I get home realize that they mostly stayed in the bag. 
That's it.
If I need wider I stitch, if I need longer I use the digital teleconverter fully realizing that this particular shot won't have resolution beyond internet usage.It's a minor negative for the sense of freedom travelling with such a small, light weight kit gives you.

While the lens doesn't have the uncompromising quality of the 4/3's lenses, the 14-150mm does an excellent job in normal light, and is also very good in dimmer light as well. It's range is perfect for concerts, and even under stage lighting I find I can usually get a decent shutter speed despite the slow max aperture. It's acceptably sharp wide open.

I'd recommend the combo whole-heartedly for travel and lots of other things as well.

Douglas Brown

Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
Re: Many thanks Doug. That's exactly the information I

needed from a source I trust.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,998Gear list
Like?
Thanks for Sharing these.
-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Kevin Sutton
Contributing MemberPosts: 710Gear list
Like?
Doug, do you know something we don't???
In reply to Doug Brown, Aug 8, 2013

Doug Brown wrote:

I think that soon the distinction between Four Thirds and Micro is going to mean a lot less.

Douglas Brown

Kevin Sutton's gear list:Kevin Sutton's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads