GF2 hot mirror dimensions?

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Questions
hinisc
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
GF2 hot mirror dimensions?
Aug 6, 2013

Anybody knows the exact dimensions of the hot mirror in a GF2 (width, length AND thickness)?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RickPick
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
Re: GF2 hot mirror dimensions?
In reply to hinisc, Aug 6, 2013

hinisc wrote:

Anybody knows the exact dimensions of the hot mirror in a GF2 (width, length AND thickness)?

"Hot" mirror - in a mirrorless camera? What is that exactly?

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Manip16
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
In reply to RickPick, Aug 6, 2013

I think he means the infrared filter.

hinisc
Like?
In reply to RickPick, Aug 6, 2013

It's the filter that blocks infrared radiation, it sits in front of the sensor It actually reflects ("mirror") infrared ("hot") radiation away from the sensor.

I wanted to convert the camera to take infrared pictures, so I need the dimensions for cutting a replacement clear glass filter.

EEmu
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
In reply to hinisc, Aug 6, 2013

If you're planning on doing the conversion yourself, you might as well disassemble the camera and measure it yourself, since it seems (at the moment) you are alone in this.

I converted a GX1 myself. It's worth noting that both the AA filter piece and the dust cover filter IR so they both have to be removed. (I believe you could leave the dust filter in the GF1, but I think the GF2 is like the GX1 in this way.) I don't have the measurements with me, but off the top of my head the AA filter was 3mm, the dust filter was 1mm, and the piece I replaced the AA filter with was 2.75mm (had it sitting around). Worked pretty well, but I've not 100% verified infinity and near focus.

hinisc
Like?
In reply to EEmu, Aug 7, 2013

Thanks for the info. I wanted to know the dimensions beforehand so I wouldn't have to open the camera and leave it open till I cut the glass.

3mm+1mm sound a lot more than what I thought it was going to be though.

I may be wrong here, but since the filter has a refractive index greater than the air, removing it should be equivalent to moving the lens away from the sensor (disabling infinity focus), and replacing it with a thicker glass should affect the minimum focus distance (no big deal), so I guess I'll go for a 4mm+ replacement.

Did autofocus continue to work with your GX1 after removing the filters? I am not 100% sure about this, but since it relies on visible signal from the sensor for autofocus, unless it also uses distance info from the lens (like the Nikons do), converting it to a full spectrum camera shouldn't affect it.

BillHinge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to hinisc, Aug 8, 2013

hinisc wrote:

Thanks for the info. I wanted to know the dimensions beforehand so I wouldn't have to open the camera and leave it open till I cut the glass.

3mm+1mm sound a lot more than what I thought it was going to be though.

I may be wrong here, but since the filter has a refractive index greater than the air, removing it should be equivalent to moving the lens away from the sensor (disabling infinity focus), and replacing it with a thicker glass should affect the minimum focus distance (no big deal), so I guess I'll go for a 4mm+ replacement.

Did autofocus continue to work with your GX1 after removing the filters? I am not 100% sure about this, but since it relies on visible signal from the sensor for autofocus, unless it also uses distance info from the lens (like the Nikons do), converting it to a full spectrum camera shouldn't affect it.

Hi

I have 4 hot mirrors and dust filters in front of me, GF1 and GH2

The panasonic dust filters are IR cutting, I checked. you need to take them out. The olympus ones are not IR cutting from what I have read

The dimensions are 22.24mm x 17.24mm and 3mm (thickness doesn't matter as much as you are adding an equivalent refractive layer if you are doing a DIY infrared conversion)

See this thread I posted previously for more info

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51355279

The problem isn't autofocus not working, the question is focal range. You may find without a replacement filter that when in the IR range you may find infinity is a couple of feet or less!

I used a 2mm spectrosil window and tightened the adjustment screws on the sensor holder, true infinity focus works at all spectral ranges from 350nm to 920nm. I bought mine custom cut from an optical glass company, it was cheaper (and better optical performance) than buying a ready made  filter

For info, if you buy a decent uv/ir cut filter then I found you could achieve infinity focus without an internal filter for normal visible light

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads