HX50: What kind of photo quality

Started 11 months ago | Questions
Krocket
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
HX50: What kind of photo quality
11 months ago

I recently bought a Sony HX50. Like the camera, amazing zoom, good quality build, good features, fine stabilization. My question is: my shots look very good, but what is the general thought about the HX50 as far as quality of photo, is this too small of a sensor to produce quality shots? I need to figure out if it is a keeper- Many thanks, Krocket

Krocket's gear list:Krocket's gear list
Nikon D7100
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-r Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Re: HX50: What kind of photo quality
In reply to Krocket, 11 months ago

Best doesn't really matter
Best for you, does.

There are better point and shoots, with less zoom. (Like the RX100 and RX1) There are bigger bridge cameras with even more zoom..(like the HX300) but a pro sports photog wouldn't be caught dead using either..and would instead invest thousand$$$ on big DSLr gear.

The best camera is the one you have with you. It sounds like you are happy with the results and ergnomics and price, so it sounds like you made a good decision...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,084Gear list
Like?
In reply to notime, 11 months ago

Best doesn't really matter
Best for you, does.

There are better point and shoots, with less zoom. (Like the RX100 and RX1) There are bigger bridge cameras with even more zoom..(like the HX300) but a pro sports photog wouldn't be caught dead using either..and would instead invest thousand$$$ on big DSLr gear.

The best camera is the one you have with you. It sounds like you are happy with the results and ergnomics and price, so it sounds like you made a good decision...

Inexperienced users magnify the image on their computer screen to view small areas of an image and complain that the enlarged area looks smeared or has watercolor effects due to fewer color variations. The compelling reason for this specific type of camera is the combination of superzoom lens and pocket size. No current way to offer both features without a small sensor and thus image quality will indeed suffer compared to larger sensor cameras which lack superzoom or require much larger size and cost much more as well.

If you want tiny size and superzoom, you have a superb choice with the HX or WX models. If image quality is of paramount importance, the RX, NEX, or alpha family of Sony cameras will deliver higher image quality and give up a great deal in adding size, cost, and less versatility.

Choose your camera based on intended usage. "Different horses for different courses".....

Larry

Jon62
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to notime, 11 months ago

I've owned all sorts of cameras over the years that produced technically better shots than the HX50

However, to get these shots it involved hauling around a serious amount of big and heavy equipment that I don't care to carry much when out and about these days.

The photo's that I have taken so far are more than good enough for my needs, as I am not expecting the very highest IQ available ever. Just having all that telephoto power available for capturing 'the moment' is where this camera is 'really at' as far as I am concerned.

If you like what it does then surely it's a keeper, isn't it ?

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,795Gear list
Like?

Krocket wrote:

I recently bought a Sony HX50. Like the camera, amazing zoom, good quality build, good features, fine stabilization. My question is: my shots look very good, but what is the general thought about the HX50 as far as quality of photo, is this too small of a sensor to produce quality shots? I need to figure out if it is a keeper- Many thanks, Krocket

If you think the shots look good but are concerned about what others think, it depends what kind of audience you are trying to impress.

Joe Public is unlikely to tell the difference - even less so if displayed on something like an ipad.

Forum members with the critical eye of Sherlock Holmes will think the photos look "ok", but it wont impress them to any large degree.

Then it depends on your skill level in shooting and in pp.

Do you really need that much zoom?  Do you really need a pocket camera?

Do you really need top image quality?

You cant have it all unfortunately.  You need to compromise.  For me, the HX50V is a good compromise.

If you want better IQ and less zoom, look at the Nikon P7700.  If it needs to be pocketable, look at the Panasonic LF1.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Krocket
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?

See, that's what is great about this forum-I asked a question, and right away got some very intelligent, thoughtful answers. Many good points, thanks to all, I like the results of the Hx50, so I'll probably be keeping it, and it'll go with me to Greece and Italy in October. Kind regards to all that gave me words of wisdom! - Krocket

Krocket's gear list:Krocket's gear list
Nikon D7100
MarioV
Like?

Krocket wrote:

See, that's what is great about this forum-I asked a question, and right away got some very intelligent, thoughtful answers. Many good points, thanks to all, I like the results of the Hx50, so I'll probably be keeping it, and it'll go with me to Greece and Italy in October. Kind regards to all that gave me words of wisdom! - Krocket

Greece and Italy will be great.   In Greece,  try to stop by Santorini. It is spectacular.  The HX50 has an excellent hires panorama mode or you can carefully align and shoot manually and stitch later.   Here's a shot from Hong Kong with the HX50V,  manually.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
navydad
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?

Krocket wrote:

Good choice! Enjoy the trip & make sure to share!

ibasco
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?

Hi Krocket.

I have found the HX50v a delight to use but you need to factor your end goals with respect to the camera's capability. If you are happy with 8x10 photos (maybe a bit more), then its image quality is fine for me. As there is no raw, you have to be more exacting of your exposures or bracket a bit more to get the look you want. I find the jpegs not too flexible to post processing.

But given these limitations, I'm very happy with the camera's versatility. Here are some of my recent island photos...

Alex

Sunrise at Bantayan Island

This crab was about 5 inches across and some 15 ft away from me. The Hx50's zoom came in handy to catch this fellow perched on a pole. Did not realise they could climb!

Flying over an extinct volcano

ibasco's gear list:ibasco's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more
navydad
Like?
In reply to ibasco, 11 months ago

Very nice. What settings did you use for the sunset?

navydad
Like?
In reply to navydad, 11 months ago

navydad wrote:

Very nice. What settings did you use for the sunset sunrise?

RM3
RM3
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?

Ibasco-

Phillipome Airlines Airbus A319 from Manilla to Busan?

ibasco
Like?
In reply to navydad, 11 months ago

Thanks Navydad. I used 1/1250 f6.3 at iso 80.

In reality, I moved the camera around to look for an exposure that gave the desired look, locked it in with half pressing the shutter, then recomposing for the final picture.  I really like how using the LCD allows you to pre-visualise what you want

Alex

Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more
ibasco
Like?
In reply to RM3, 11 months ago

Hi RM3,

I was on a PAL Airbus 320-200 from Cebu to Manila

Alex

MarioV
Like?

Nice shots, Alex.

And not forgetting, you also get a pocket 30x zoom 1080p60 video camera thrown in!

RM3
RM3
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?

ibasco wrote:

Hi RM3,

I was on a PAL Airbus 320-200 from Cebu to Manila

Alex

Hi Alex,

Just having some silly fun by Googling the registration # from the top of the wing and it sent me here: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/rp-c8610

I mistakenly wrote A319 when I meant A320. I used the EXIF data from your photo to get the date and time but screwed that up too!

RM3

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads