Very pleased!

Started 11 months ago | User reviews
lupin_le_vorace
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Very pleased!
11 months ago

I have been playing with the X-M1 for two days, and so far I love it. The colors are superb (tank you Fuji), and the noise is not a problem up to ISO 6400.

My only issue so far is the fact that the included RAW converter (Silkypix) can't duplicated the camera JPEGs (colors and contrasts don't match), but the in-camera's RAW converter can, although it's an hassle to have to proceed that way.

Focusing is good and relatively fast, but kind of struggle in low light, even with the assist lamp.

Overall I am very happy so far. Most of the photos I have taken are keepers. I don't even feel the need to processing them.

Considering that images are always better than words, I'll include a few photos SOOC (straight from the camera).

PROS:

Not heavy.
Superb Fuji colors.
Excellent dynamic range (although see "cons")
Low noise, even at high ISO.
Tiltable screen

CONS:

400% dynamic range only available above ISO 800
Included RAW converter can't reproduced the superbs in-camera's JPEGs

lupin_le_vorace's score
4.0
Average community score
4.1
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
Re: Very pleased!
In reply to lupin_le_vorace, 11 months ago

I agree with you about the Fuji RAW converter software, I love the OOC JPEGs colors too.

Curious: why ISO 800 on #3 and 5 leading the speed to the limit or close to it?

 gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lupin_le_vorace
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Re: Very pleased!
In reply to gerard boulanger, 11 months ago

gerard boulanger wrote:

I agree with you about the Fuji RAW converter software, I love the OOC JPEGs colors too.

Curious: why ISO 800 on #3 and 5 leading the speed to the limit or close to it?

As I said in the "cons", 400% dynamic range is only available from ISO 800 (and above). I don't know if the same thing goes with the others X cameras, but it's not the case with my "old" S5 Pro.

Considering that the noise is minimal, and don't mind using ISO 800 even if it's not necessary.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
caerphoto
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Re: Very pleased!
In reply to lupin_le_vorace, 11 months ago

lupin_le_vorace wrote:

gerard boulanger wrote:

I agree with you about the Fuji RAW converter software, I love the OOC JPEGs colors too.

Curious: why ISO 800 on #3 and 5 leading the speed to the limit or close to it?

As I said in the "cons", 400% dynamic range is only available from ISO 800 (and above). I don't know if the same thing goes with the others X cameras, but it's not the case with my "old" S5 Pro.

Considering that the noise is minimal, and don't mind using ISO 800 even if it's not necessary.

The S5 Pro had separate low-sensitivity pixels in its sensor for recording bright highlights. The XM1 (and XE1 and XPro1) don't, so they underexpose the image in order to preserve highlights, then selectively brighten it afterwards, which means it's effectively shooting at a higher ISO.

-- hide signature --

—Andy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,401Gear list
Like?
Re: Very pleased!
In reply to caerphoto, 11 months ago

caerphoto wrote:

lupin_le_vorace wrote:

gerard boulanger wrote:

I agree with you about the Fuji RAW converter software, I love the OOC JPEGs colors too.

Curious: why ISO 800 on #3 and 5 leading the speed to the limit or close to it?

As I said in the "cons", 400% dynamic range is only available from ISO 800 (and above). I don't know if the same thing goes with the others X cameras, but it's not the case with my "old" S5 Pro.

Considering that the noise is minimal, and don't mind using ISO 800 even if it's not necessary.

The S5 Pro had separate low-sensitivity pixels in its sensor for recording bright highlights. The XM1 (and XE1 and XPro1) don't, so they underexpose the image in order to preserve highlights, then selectively brighten it afterwards, which means it's effectively shooting at a higher ISO.

-- hide signature --

—Andy

Exactly. As has been discussed in other threads, it may well make sense to shoot without DR expansion turned on if you process from RAW (because it bakes the underexposure and pull back into the RAW file, which limits your own ability to tweak exposure in post). If you shoot jpeg only it makes sense to have it turned on.

In practice many consider the ISO800 images from the x-trans sensor to be (to all intents and purposes) noiseless at ISO800 and below anyway.

Also mystified at the rating for low light without flash. Unless the performance of the X-M1 is radically different from the other x-trans cameras, it will be one of the best performers out there for low light work.

 sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lupin_le_vorace
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Re: Very pleased!
In reply to sgoldswo, 11 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

Also mystified at the rating for low light without flash. Unless the performance of the X-M1 is radically different from the other x-trans cameras, it will be one of the best performers out there for low light work.

My rating for low light without flash goes with the fact that the X-M1 struggle a lot (and sometimes can't) to focus in low light...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lupin_le_vorace
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Re: Very pleased!
In reply to caerphoto, 11 months ago

caerphoto wrote:

The S5 Pro had separate low-sensitivity pixels in its sensor for recording bright highlights. The XM1 (and XE1 and XPro1) don't, so they underexpose the image in order to preserve highlights, then selectively brighten it afterwards, which means it's effectively shooting at a higher ISO.

-- hide signature --

—Andy

Thanks for the explanation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lepewhi
Regular MemberPosts: 311
Like?
Re: Very pleased!
In reply to lupin_le_vorace, 7 months ago

I didn't know that Silkypix supported Fuji. I thought it was for Panasonic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads