Am I nuts?

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions
JTC111
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
Am I nuts?
Aug 4, 2013

This picture was mistakenly taken.  I was getting ready to take a picture of this pup when I accidentally snapped off this shot before I got the focus right.  But for some reason, I'm drawn to this picture.  I think perhaps I'm reminded of the old days when I'd occasionally use a diffusion filter.  But there's something soulful about the eyes, and the general blur, for whatever reason in my head, adds rather than detracts.
So... am I nuts?

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo
"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme" - Richard Thompson

JTC111's gear list:JTC111's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Honest Opinion
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: Am I nuts?
In reply to JTC111, Aug 5, 2013

Yes you are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JTC111
Like?
In reply to Honest Opinion, Aug 5, 2013

Honest Opinion wrote:

Yes you are.

lol ...i can accept that

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?

Intriguing image - I can see why it appeals to you. Doesn't mean you aren't nuts, though.

JTC111
Like?
In reply to bflood, Aug 5, 2013

bflood wrote:

Intriguing image - I can see why it appeals to you. Doesn't mean you aren't nuts, though.

I'm not discounting the possibility that the image is good and I'm nuts anyway.  The two may not be mutually exclusive.

And thank you for taking a look and responding.

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo

DukeCC
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?

I suspect that if you broke down the compositional elements, you would find it is ticking all the boxes--rule of thirds, golden mean, etc, etc--and THAT is why you are so drawn to the image.

Perfectly composed, imperfectly executed?

Plus, the camera shake is obscuring all the other nit-picky things, so one can't even judge sharpness or white balance, or all the other things to obsess over.  So in your mind, these are simply dismissed.

Would make a good study for 'Your Bleeped Up Brain' on History Channel, I bet!  I would not be surprised if it lit up the same areas of the brain as a prize-winning photograph, when compared under MRI.

Of course, more so for you, as photographer, and having some attachment to the image.

DukeCC's gear list:DukeCC's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
JTC111
Like?
In reply to DukeCC, Aug 6, 2013

DukeCC wrote:

I suspect that if you broke down the compositional elements, you would find it is ticking all the boxes--rule of thirds, golden mean, etc, etc--and THAT is why you are so drawn to the image.

That's a great observation.  Because it's a mistake, I hadn't even considered that the things about it to which I'm drawn might be the same things to which I'm drawn under normal circumstances.  I assumed that there was something different at play here, but perhaps not so much now that you've pointed that out.

Perfectly composed, imperfectly executed?

It is framed well, isn't it?  I like how you put that.

Plus, the camera shake is obscuring all the other nit-picky things, so one can't even judge sharpness or white balance, or all the other things to obsess over. So in your mind, these are simply dismissed.

I don't think I'm dismissing them.  I don't find myself wishing the picture were sharper but I am having a difficult time trying to figure out what about the blur appeals to me.

Would make a good study for 'Your Bleeped Up Brain' on History Channel, I bet! I would not be surprised if it lit up the same areas of the brain as a prize-winning photograph, when compared under MRI.

hehe... yes, it certainly would be interesting.

Of course, more so for you, as photographer, and having some attachment to the image.

And having an attachment to the dog as well.  And as there's no long line of people in this thread saying they like the shot or even find the shot interesting, I have to assume that what I'm feeling is more personal than I previously thought.
I was curious and now I know.  Still like the shot though.

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo

LifeIsAVerb
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?
In reply to JTC111, Aug 6, 2013

A disquieting number of people seem to see, react to, and evaluate a photo primarily, if not entirely, on a set of predetermined, technical qualities—focus, "sharpness," "contrast," "noise," "saturation," etc.

These people seem to scan an image, only looking for one or more of these characteristics that doesn't meet the list of things they've somehow learned that a "good" photography should conform to. Witness how many reactions begin and end with comments like this.

So much more is possible when one frees oneself from this tyranny. You seem to be on the path.

JTC111
Like?
In reply to LifeIsAVerb, Aug 6, 2013

LifeIsAVerb wrote:

A disquieting number of people seem to see, react to, and evaluate a photo primarily, if not entirely, on a set of predetermined, technical qualities—focus, "sharpness," "contrast," "noise," "saturation," etc.

These people seem to scan an image, only looking for one or more of these characteristics that doesn't meet the list of things they've somehow learned that a "good" photography should conform to. Witness how many reactions begin and end with comments like this.

So much more is possible when one frees oneself from this tyranny. You seem to be on the path.

Thank you.  I made similar comments in a recent thread about someone else's photograph.  Art shouldn't have rules.

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo

hewhosculpts
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
In reply to JTC111, Aug 14, 2013

Back in the seventies I had a friend that was a semi-professional photographer and he was partially blind. This means that he occasionally badly blew the focus on a shot. Now, I think that one of his best shots was one of these shots. He is also totally color blind and couldn't even see how amazing the shot was. Note, it's a bit ironic that he had a color lab at home and could develop and print color at home.

hewhosculpts's gear list:hewhosculpts's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
onelightnude
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

JTC111 wrote:

So... am I nuts?

NO, I love the photo

Un abrazo!

-- hide signature --

www.onelightnude.com

nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456Gear list
Like?

The lack of focus gives the dog an illusion of boundless energy which is a trait many dogs share.

eagle2a
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894
Like?
In reply to JTC111, Aug 15, 2013

JTC111 wrote:

This picture was mistakenly taken. I was getting ready to take a picture of this pup when I accidentally snapped off this shot before I got the focus right. But for some reason, I'm drawn to this picture. I think perhaps I'm reminded of the old days when I'd occasionally use a diffusion filter. But there's something soulful about the eyes, and the general blur, for whatever reason in my head, adds rather than detracts.
So... am I nuts?

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo

Face the obvious! You love your Dog. I know the feeling I have a loveable Yorkie. Hard to take a bad picture of him, at least for me.

Don

JTC111
Like?
In reply to eagle2a, Aug 15, 2013

eagle2a wrote:

JTC111 wrote:

This picture was mistakenly taken. I was getting ready to take a picture of this pup when I accidentally snapped off this shot before I got the focus right. But for some reason, I'm drawn to this picture. I think perhaps I'm reminded of the old days when I'd occasionally use a diffusion filter. But there's something soulful about the eyes, and the general blur, for whatever reason in my head, adds rather than detracts.
So... am I nuts?

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo

Face the obvious! You love your Dog. I know the feeling I have a loveable Yorkie. Hard to take a bad picture of him, at least for me.

Don

Ya got me there, Don, I do love the pup.  And he has one of those "awwww" stories.  He's been with me about a year now.  Because I donate money when I can to various dog rescues, I've amassed a bunch of facebook friends that are involved in dog rescue.  One night last August, someone sent me a picture of this little dachshund mix.  He was about 8.5 pounds at the time and was found wandering around in the Bronx, NY and was being held at the city's shelter in Manhattan.  I received the picture around 9 pm and he was scheduled to be euthanized the next morning at 6 am.  I already had 4 dogs, all dachshunds, and didn't really want another but there was something about this little guy that drew me in.  And since two of my pups were pretty old (14 and 15), the reality was I likely wouldn't be at 5 for very long.

Unfortunately, I was pretty sure it was too late to do anything since his time was up in the morning.  The FB folk suggested I start contacting various rescue agencies in NYC in the hope that one would contact me and be able to do something.  Sure enough, around 11 pm, I got a call from a rescue and they were able to contact someone at the shelter in time.  I picked him up that night and he's really a great little pup.  He and my youngest dachsie have become best buddies.  They're constantly playing and wrestling ...it's hilarious.

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo

highyoyo
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?

With this you prove you are definitely NOT nuts.

Sounds like both you and the pup are pretty lucky.

eagle2a
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894
Like?

Jtc111 well that is a good story, in any event you are a winner and so is the pup. Good shooting and watch that shutter!

Don

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?
In reply to JTC111, Aug 16, 2013

It is a good photo. It reminds me of the out of focus pictures on album covers for John Entwistle's Mad Dog, or REM's Monster (orange and black theme). But in a sweeter, more gentle way.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
JTC111
Like?
In reply to eagle2a, Aug 22, 2013

highyoyo and eagle2a, thanks very much.

-- hide signature --

Jim Caputo

Daniel Diaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,910Gear list
Like?
No
In reply to JTC111, Aug 22, 2013

The blur has created a 3D effect that draws you in and the composition holds it.

-- hide signature --

Please visit my website at
www.danielsdiaz.com

Daniel Diaz's gear list:Daniel Diaz's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads