11 months ago

Any idea`s

M J Valentine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
Re: What is the best software cure for CA
In reply to Morgs222, 11 months ago

Hi,

Lightroom or DXO can remove CA but I understand Panasonic bodies can do this with jpegs. I don't think there's a magic bullet; I've tried software CA removal on an image taken with a Canon 17-40 on a 650D which failed to remove CA near the borders. Hopefully, this will improve with M43.

Martyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NCV
NCV
Contributing MemberPosts: 598Gear list
Like?

DXO Optic cured my CA problems with the OMD and 12-35 2.8 and other lenses.

I tried several other demos but this program is perfect for removing CA.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Morgs222
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
In reply to M J Valentine, 11 months ago

M J Valentine wrote:

Hi,

Lightroom or DXO can remove CA but I understand Panasonic bodies can do this with jpegs. I don't think there's a magic bullet; I've tried software CA removal on an image taken with a Canon 17-40 on a 650D which failed to remove CA near the borders. Hopefully, this will improve with M43.

Martyn

To be honest LR does a pretty poor job from what I am seeing, and Panasonic camera will remove some CA but not all of it.

Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356Gear list
Like?

I find Lightroom does a better job to DXO, which is annoying as I prefer DXO and have now upgraded to LR5 to process images with significant CA. However DXO does do fine with my GH3 pics (all my lenses have profiles), but some Canon ones without lens profiles have been disastrous.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
dpalugyay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164Gear list
Like?
Capture One Pro 7

Their software is very very good.  I use it more than Lightroom.

dpalugyay's gear list:dpalugyay's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
M Hamilton
Contributing MemberPosts: 664Gear list
Like?

Time intensive but I use brush adjust in LR and desaturate that particular shade of purple in the affected areas.

M Hamilton's gear list:M Hamilton's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Ricoh GR Digital IV Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to M Hamilton, 11 months ago

M Hamilton wrote:

Time intensive but I use brush adjust in LR and desaturate that particular shade of purple in the affected areas.

Yes its time consuming, CA comes in many colours its much more effective to use a well designed action and use it in PS.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
M Hamilton
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, 11 months ago

Any actions suggestions? I'd love to speed up my rather inefficient work flow.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Ricoh GR Digital IV Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Alumna Gorp
Like?

M Hamilton wrote:

Any actions suggestions? I'd love to speed up my rather inefficient work flow.

Hop it helped

Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
M Hamilton
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, 11 months ago

An EXCELLENT action for PS, thanks so much!

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,064Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, 11 months ago

Dr_Jon wrote:

I find Lightroom does a better job to DXO, which is annoying as I prefer DXO and have now upgraded to LR5 to process images with significant CA. However DXO does do fine with my GH3 pics (all my lenses have profiles), but some Canon ones without lens profiles have been disastrous.

Based on the examples I have seen, I agree that LR does a better job with CA than DxO. Lateral CA is taken care of automatically and without any significant drawbacks in LR by means of the checkbox labeled Remove Chromatic Aberration. For longitudinal CA (LoCA), no software that I am aware of offers any other solution than to desaturate the offending hues, which yields imperfect results. Eliminating LoCA can also be time-consuming if the fringes have colors similar to those appearing for quite legitimate reasons elsewhere in the picture so that you can't defringe globally but have to selectively protect certain areas. However, among RAW converters, the defringe and brush tools of LR may still be the best bet.

A comparison of LR and DxO is available here for those interested (see the last part of the post):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51617739

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 11 months ago

Not disagreeing, but I also find I need to mess with LR's sliders with some of the CA, for example I had a dreadful time with the pillars in this pano: http://www.viewat.org/?i=en&id_aut=7366&id_pn=23087&sec=pn and did it again with LR to get rid of the CA, but only after some slider tweaking (and a very long conversation with a helpful DXO support person to make sure I hadn't missed anything).

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
LaMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,231Gear list
Like?
The REAL cure:

The typical characteristic of Chromatic Abberation is a radial magnification error of the green image content relative to the other colors, beginning from the center with a factor of 0.99 to 1.01.

The Radial Shift option of the free Photoshop plugin "Panorama Tools" can reverse and extinguish the error. I know of no better solution.

Once you have experimentally identified the correct value for your lens and focal length, the correction value can be stored and reloaded.

For the same lens and focal length the CA correction can be executed as a batch job. CA correction MUST be the first step of image processing. The procedure can be found here:

http://www.pbase.com/herbrd/olysp550

-- hide signature --
 LaMesa's gear list:LaMesa's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, 11 months ago

Dr_Jon wrote:

Not disagreeing, but I also find I need to mess with LR's sliders with some of the CA, for example I had a dreadful time with the pillars in this pano: http://www.viewat.org/?i=en&id_aut=7366&id_pn=23087&sec=pn and did it again with LR to get rid of the CA, but only after some slider tweaking (and a very long conversation with a helpful DXO support person to make sure I hadn't missed anything).

Yes, it can certainly take some time to get it right with LR too. Not at all saying LR is perfect, just that it may be the best RAW converter for dealing with CA that we've got at the moment.

Nice pano by the way. Have yet to try my hands at something like that. I am using Hugin routinely but so far only for (partial) defishing of images from the Samyang 7.5/3.5 FE (and indirectly the Enfuse part via LR/Enfuse) but not for panos.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Anders W
Like?
Re: The REAL cure:
In reply to LaMesa, 11 months ago

LaMesa wrote:

The typical characteristic of Chromatic Abberation is a radial magnification error of the green image content relative to the other colors, beginning from the center with a factor of 0.99 to 1.01.

The Radial Shift option of the free Photoshop plugin "Panorama Tools" can reverse and extinguish the error. I know of no better solution.

Once you have experimentally identified the correct value for your lens and focal length, the correction value can be stored and reloaded.

For the same lens and focal length the CA correction can be executed as a batch job. CA correction MUST be the first step of image processing. The procedure can be found here:

http://www.pbase.com/herbrd/olysp550

-- hide signature --

What you describe here is lateral CA only. There is also longitudinal CA (the primary colors not being in focus simultaneously rather than forming subimages of different size). Unfortunately, the longitudinal variety cannot be corrected as well or as easily as the lateral. Furthermore, it affects not only the in-focus area but also out-of-focus areas (color fringes on the blur discs).

You say you know of no better alternative than the one you describe. But from version 4.x, LR can correct lateral CA automatically, without any add-ons or profiles. You just have to check the box labeled "Remove Chromatic Aberration" (which, if you want, can be done by default via a preset when you import your files). From version 4.1, LR also has a defringe tool that allows you to deal with longitudinal CA about as easily and effectively as is currently possible.

Zensu11
Contributing MemberPosts: 783Gear list
Like?

I'm sure Anders is correct, he's as close to an expert at explaining super technical details to laypeople like myself that I will probably ever read. I received DXO Optics Pro as a gift and for this amateur it does a great job and it seems to keep me away from complex PP work.

PS, Thanks Anders for all the help you have provided to many of us in this forum!

Bobby

Zensu11's gear list:Zensu11's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +1 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to Zensu11, 11 months ago

Zensu11 wrote:

I'm sure Anders is correct, he's as close to an expert at explaining super technical details to laypeople like myself that I will probably ever read. I received DXO Optics Pro as a gift and for this amateur it does a great job and it seems to keep me away from complex PP work.

PS, Thanks Anders for all the help you have provided to many of us in this forum!

You are welcome Bobby. Very glad to hear your kind words.

I had better add, however, that I make errors too, just like everyone else, although I do my very best to keep them at a minimum.

Alumna Gorp
Like?

M Hamilton wrote:

An EXCELLENT action for PS, thanks so much!

Glad it help, just a quick simple action I put together to share.

I simply can not escape a certain amount of CA when using a few of my legacy lenses, my Tamron series 1 200mm f3 can be pretty bad wide open at times.

LaMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,231Gear list
Like?

Anders,

other than LR, my cure has two advantages:

1) it is freely available

2) it addresses the problem with maximum repeatable precision.

I find your entry annoying and destructive, turning down a proven method without any practical experience of using it.

Herbert

-- hide signature --
 LaMesa's gear list:LaMesa's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads