A77 replacement??

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Questions
Jellydog83
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
A77 replacement??
Aug 4, 2013

I've been hearing rumours on the street that Sony could be releasing a replacement to the A77 in the the new year  and was wondering if these rumours have any truth behind them?

Im currently considering upgrading to the A77 but not if the price will drop or the newer camera will be a lot better than the current one on offer.

can anyone shine any light on the subject??

thanks

Jellydog83's gear list:Jellydog83's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,213Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 replacement??
In reply to Jellydog83, Aug 4, 2013

Only rumors.   Nothing to quote or specific other than in all likelyhood it will be a Mirrorless with a DSLR style body and hopefully implement in body stabilization.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Samsolar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,104Gear list
Like?

The announcement should come in September with release in 2014.

Samsolar's gear list:Samsolar's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +2 more
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,059Gear list
Like?

The price of the A77 has already dropped considerably.

Now might be a good time to buy one while they are still available. Great camera.

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf >>> ( Sony SLT-A77, Rokinon 8mm, Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6, Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3, Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS, Minolta 70-210 f4.0, Minolta 50 f1.7, Sony RX-100 ) <<<

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,617Gear list
Like?

I agree with Karl , Consider what the 77 cost when it was released if memory servers 1200$ or thereabouts  , I purchased my 77 for 899$ with a Sony brand Battery Grip , 32 meg card and a nice Camera bag , I suspect when they do release the new version it will be the full retail price and at least 1200 bucks , I have a Top of the line Mirrorless and to be honest I have better results with the 77 , I am sure Sony wont let us down and the new one will be a Dandy but I am glad I acted when I did just the grip is 270 $ Value.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +25 more
William Curtindale
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,754Gear list
Like?

Jellydog83 wrote:

I've been hearing rumours on the street that Sony could be releasing a replacement to the A77 in the the new year and was wondering if these rumours have any truth behind them?

Im currently considering upgrading to the A77 but not if the price will drop or the newer camera will be a lot better than the current one on offer.

can anyone shine any light on the subject??

thanks

You can count on it that the A77 will be replaced.  You can also expect more capability because that's what they do.  So it all depends when you want to get in so you can enjoy what's available today, tomorrow and next week (and who know when a replacement will be here and then another replacement after that).

-- hide signature --

A99, A900, A700 w/Zeiss Glass + Sony G

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +15 more
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,452
Like?
In reply to William Curtindale, Aug 5, 2013

William Curtindale wrote:

You can count on it that the A77 will be replaced.  You can also expect more capability because that's what they do.  So it all depends when you want to get in so you can enjoy what's available today, tomorrow and next week (and who know when a replacement will be here and then another replacement after that).
-- hide signature --

How much more capability can there be than the a77? Seriously?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jellydog83, Aug 5, 2013

The camera is old enough price has most likely dropped as far as it'll go already, and while an announcement for a replacement might appear any day now, it probably won't be on shelves until the end of the year at the earliest.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Aug 5, 2013

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

You can count on it that the A77 will be replaced. You can also expect more capability because that's what they do. So it all depends when you want to get in so you can enjoy what's available today, tomorrow and next week (and who know when a replacement will be here and then another replacement after that).

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

"-32mpix exmor hd chip (new generation)
- 4 gb buffer
- full mirrorless focus, 480 focus points
- evf 4mpix
- 8-14 fps/sec
- Magnesium body
- There will be a new vertical grip too (compatible also with current SLT cameras)."

If any of that comes true....

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,653Gear list
Like?
SAR Rumor Today-A-Mount News In September...
In reply to Jellydog83, Aug 5, 2013

I too would like to know what is happening with Sony Alpha A-mount.  SAR today posted a SR3 rumor that news on the a79 will come in September.  I sure like the specs including the completely mirrorless and high MP EVF.   I have no plans on any further purchases of any camera body until all of this Sony Alpha stuff is ironed out.  I am interested in a FF mirrorless Alpha body that has IBIS and can take Sigma A-mount lenses since Sigma is now the leader in some quality lens classes.  Mirrored bodies will soon become ancient and I don't plan on spending on them anymore.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +9 more
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,753
Like?
Re: SAR Rumor Today-A-Mount News In September...
In reply to 4thnebula, Aug 5, 2013

4thnebula wrote:

I too would like to know what is happening with Sony Alpha A-mount. SAR today posted a SR3 rumor that news on the a79 will come in September. I sure like the specs including the completely mirrorless and high MP EVF. I have no plans on any further purchases of any camera body until all of this Sony Alpha stuff is ironed out. I am interested in a FF mirrorless Alpha body that has IBIS and can take Sigma A-mount lenses since Sigma is now the leader in some quality lens classes. Mirrored bodies will soon become ancient and I don't plan on spending on them anymore.

Come back to the market in 2015. Sony will release some mirrorless A-mount bodies in 2014, if rumors are correct, but I expect the second round of cameras to work out some of the wrinkles. The A57 was a big improvement over the A55 but the A58 was mixed. Of course Sony never released any upgrades to the A65 or A77, so it might be 2016 or 2017 for the fully debugged versions.

Gary Eickmeier
Like?
In reply to thebustos, Aug 5, 2013

thebustos wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

You can count on it that the A77 will be replaced. You can also expect more capability because that's what they do. So it all depends when you want to get in so you can enjoy what's available today, tomorrow and next week (and who know when a replacement will be here and then another replacement after that).

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

"-32mpix exmor hd chip (new generation)
- 4 gb buffer
- full mirrorless focus, 480 focus points
- evf 4mpix
- 8-14 fps/sec
- Magnesium body
- There will be a new vertical grip too (compatible also with current SLT cameras)."

If any of that comes true....

Those are fine increases in current specs, but not any more capability than the 77. I mean like, if 24mp isn't enough to step out of the house with....

How silly do we need to get? I was doing pretty well with 16mp.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Gary Eickmeier
Like?
In reply to Wally626, Aug 6, 2013

OK so we're trending toward mirrorless, but what about shutters? Will we still have to put up with focal plane shutters in the near future?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Aug 6, 2013

Well I'm most interested in an improved focus system and possibly better low light performance. Not to say at all that I don't think the A77 is a great camera. I'm incredibly happy with it. The focus system and current low light performance work well for me now for what I do. To be honest the only thought I've had of changing has been to maybe get an A99 or other possible Sony full frame in the future. But I can't see ever getting rid of my A77...
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,653Gear list
Like?
Always important not to be the Beta tester.
In reply to Wally626, Aug 6, 2013

I agree there may be bugs to work out in the first iterations of the new mirrorless Alphas.  I expect the new IBIS from Olympus to be less of a problem since it will be in second iteration already.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +9 more
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,753
Like?
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Aug 6, 2013

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

OK so we're trending toward mirrorless, but what about shutters? Will we still have to put up with focal plane shutters in the near future?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

No expert on this but I think the cameras in the past that have had fast electronic shutters also had some drawbacks. It is tough to do with CMOS sensors as well. Even the CCD sensors required a mechanical light block for readout.

I had an idea for a ultrasonic shutter. Sort of like a widow shade, a slitted sheet that would move underneath another slitted sheet, when the slits aligned light, when not black. Of course you would lose half the light upfront, so it would require micro lenses in front of and behind the shutter to reduce the light loss. It would depend on how well you could make the system friction free, ultrasonic actuators could hit any speed desired which is not useful if it melts the shutter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads