Problems with Nikon D7100 ..

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Questions
damirb
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Problems with Nikon D7100 ..
Aug 4, 2013

I have a lot of problems with the Nikon D7100. The camera parameters themselves are changing, NEF format itself disaabling, camera change the size of the photos ... Neither the new firmware did not solve the problem. Photos in low light conditions have a gray tone and ... I am very disappointed and can not rely on the camera as opposed to the D300, which works perfectly...

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Chuck Steenburgh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with Nikon D7100 ..
In reply to damirb, Aug 4, 2013

Post some sample images...

Chuck Steenburgh's gear list:Chuck Steenburgh's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH20 Nikon Coolpix S800c Nikon D40 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,117Gear list
Like?

I had some minor problems getting used to how D7100 operates compared to mu old D80:  either I've become a bit dyslexic rotating wrong dial at time or over the time I finally got used to it and these small annoyances stopped, wouldn't be able to answer...

For example, Auto ISO: it used to be in the menu on D80. Now, I can press ISO and rotate front dial and (accidentally or deliberately) disable it. Comes handy with the flash use as I really don't want to shoot at ISO4000 while using SB... Or the file size - I shoot both JPEG+NEF, yet for burst I can easily go with JPEG only without diving into the menu. And so on. In other words, are you absolutely sure you aren't doing this by a chance? I'm not questioning your photography skills, it's the technology that changes (and yup! I got the new camera just in time to get it packed in the bag while setting on the 5 week holiday learning the hard way...)

cheers

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Skylane
Contributing MemberPosts: 647
Like?

First put the camera in auto and try  various shots. If they are acceptable then reset the camera.

There are a lot to controls and menu items that interact.  For example the NEF options will be grayed out if the camera is set to shoot HDR (that may be the case with other options, I am not certain).

Auto ISO works a bit different then it did on the D300.

A reset and changing controls, parameters one at a time to see their affect my help you out of the forest of confirm you have a malfunctioning camera.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,525Gear list
Like?

damirb wrote:

I have a lot of problems with the Nikon D7100. The camera parameters themselves are changing, NEF format itself disaabling, camera change the size of the photos ... Neither the new firmware did not solve the problem. Photos in low light conditions have a gray tone and ... I am very disappointed and can not rely on the camera as opposed to the D300, which works perfectly...

Hi Damirb.

I don't think you should be that disapointed with your new camera. Of course there can be faults with a new camera - it's always possible - but I don't think, it is the reason here - taken from your, a Little sparse, information in your descripsion and my own experience with a new D7000.

I think you are a victim of the new layout of the buttons - just like I was.

The Quality button is now the no. 4 button, placed near, where Iso button was (to my D90 anyway), and I have several times on my D7000 shifted from RAW to some Jpeg-size using the Qual-button + prior Wheel - instead of shifting Iso. With other Words, from my experience, the camera doesn't do that just by it self.

The grey tone - I don't know. When I take Pictures under low light conditions with my D7K, they looks just what they are - Pictures taken under low light conditions. To make them look like anything else, you can make them a Little overexposed, change your WB or to RAW anyway, PP them just as you like. Nothing changed from your D300 there.

So - if this is not it - you rearly should send your camera back for repair - shouldn't be that hard to do.

BirgerH.

P.S: Shouldn't mention this - but the manual could help you to find out the function of the buttons and the Wheels. And yes - real photographers read the manual.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
newbrain
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?

A lot of good suggestions in the answers above, covering both camera and user.

If the symptoms you mention are easily reproducible, I would suggest to go to a shop, possibly the one you got the camera from, and try your camera and a new one side by side.

If the behavior differs, there's a fault in your camera, if not it's just the learning curve of a new, complex, tool.

newbrain's gear list:newbrain's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,064Gear list
Like?
In reply to BirgerH, Aug 4, 2013

BirgerH wrote:

damirb wrote:

Hi Damirb.

I don't think you should be that disapointed with your new camera. Of course there can be faults with a new camera - it's always possible - but I don't think, it is the reason here - taken from your, a Little sparse, information in your descripsion and my own experience with a new D7000.

I think you are a victim of the new layout of the buttons - just like I was.

The Quality button is now the no. 4 button, placed near, where Iso button was (to my D90 anyway), and I have several times on my D7000 shifted from RAW to some Jpeg-size using the Qual-button + prior Wheel - instead of shifting Iso. With other Words, from my experience, the camera doesn't do that just by it self.

The grey tone - I don't know. When I take Pictures under low light conditions with my D7K, they looks just what they are - Pictures taken under low light conditions. To make them look like anything else, you can make them a Little overexposed, change your WB or to RAW anyway, PP them just as you like. Nothing changed from your D300 there.

So - if this is not it - you rearly should send your camera back for repair - shouldn't be that hard to do.

BirgerH.

P.S: Shouldn't mention this - but the manual could help you to find out the function of the buttons and the Wheels. And yes - real photographers read the manual.

Good Suggestions, Birger. I'm not sure that they relate to the OP's exact problem, though it sounds like there are some inadvertent button presses that can go on caused by the D7100's somewhat different control layout than earlier cameras like the D300. On the D300, the Qual, ISO, and WB buttons are completely separated from the playback buttons at the left of the monitor, and so can't be inadvertently actuated. On the consumer Nikon bodies, the left-of-monitor buttons behave differently during shooting and playback, and yes the +/- zoom buttons changed positions relative to earlier consumer bodies.

One thing that can happen if the PASM dial is rotated from PASM to one of the scene or effect modes is that RAW quality setting can be canceled as several of those effects can only be done with JPG quality output. Another possibility is that the right-of-lens-mount function buttons may be behaving differently than expected. If not set to their defaults, there are a wealth of options that involve pressing them and turning one of the control wheels. In fact, the dominant adjustment scheme for the D7100 and current Nikon bodies is press a button to enable, hold button down and rotate a control wheel to adjust. This was not as consistently the case in the D300.

Another behavior that you have to watch is the difference between "info" and "i".  In "i" mode, you can use the joydisk to step between several critical camera parameters, including quality, A-DL, ISO, etc. and adjust them by hitting the "OK" button in the center of the joydisk.

The D7100 does require rather careful study to understand how it differs from earlier bodies. OP, give yourself a chance to experiment and to read the manual thoroughly.

As to low-light pictures being "grey", we really don't know what you mean by low-light. VERY low light pictures will eventually lose tonal accuracy and the colors will muddy and dim - but also, the camera's automatic white balance will struggle in extremely dim conditions. All cameras will. However, this usually shifts WB towards a particular color, but not desaturating.

If these things don't help, then take it down to your local Nikon shop like another poster recommended and compare behavior to the store's demo model. If it still acts up, time to ship the camera back to Nikon or if you still can, return it.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,321Gear list
Like?
In reply to BirgerH, Aug 4, 2013

I don't find myself changing any parameter with the buttons on the rear, but I do find occasionally that the Mode dial has been changed by some gremlin or another.   That, and th fact that every time you change cameras, either up, down or parallel in quality, you have a learning curve.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
newbrain
Like?
In reply to newbrain, Aug 5, 2013

Forgot to add, but it might be an explanation:

I use a Blackrapid sling, so the camera hangs upside down on my right hip.

With my D90, I never had any settings problem, but with the D7100 I often find the focus point moved around, or the menu open on random settings and even AE-L engaged (I had it on "hold", not any longer).

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,064Gear list
Like?
In reply to newbrain, Aug 5, 2013

newbrain wrote:

Forgot to add, but it might be an explanation:

I use a Blackrapid sling, so the camera hangs upside down on my right hip.

With my D90, I never had any settings problem, but with the D7100 I often find the focus point moved around, or the menu open on random settings and even AE-L engaged (I had it on "hold", not any longer).

Aha.  Compare the button positions and particularly their projection beyond the monitor and you might have your answer. What I suspect that you'll find is that all of them project beyond the monitor noticeably farther than your D90's controls.  In particular:

AE-lock button: it's hidden behind the eyecup and monitor bezel on the D90 (where it's tough to actuate without poking your eye if you're a leftie).  It's pulled away from the eyecup and projects beyond the monitor on the D7100, where it's much easier to operate but also easier to butt-actuate if carried sling style.

Joydisk: partially shielded by the monitor on the D90, fully exposed on the D7100. More nose clearance for the monitor on the D7100, but again, the joydisk is easily bumped.  One of the reasons Nikon moved the joydisk lock to concentric with the disk instead of hidden below it.  On the D7100, you might consider operating the joydisk much like the on-off switch of the camera - keep it locked until you bring the camera up to your eye, then flick the lock off as you settle in to compose and shoot.

left-side buttons: partially shielded by the monitor on the D90, fully exposed on the D7100.  There's your ghost menu actuation problem.

I also carry my camera quasi-sling style, but not full BR style.  I don't like the way the camera bounces around.  The configuration that I prefer: left hand strap lug to one side of the strap, right side of the strap to the tripod mount.  You do rotate the strap around your body in bringing the camera up to shoot, but this configuration causes the camera to nestle upside down against the small of your back where it never bounces, and where the back buttons aren't inadvertently actuated.  Luma-Labs makes a commercial version of this called the Cinch, but I find that a 1.5" wide Gripper strap from Domke works just as well without the bouncy neoprene shoulder pad.  Check it out - there's a video on their site that shows how this configuration works.

www.luma-labs.com

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
newbrain
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Aug 5, 2013

Yes, mosswings, but I'm not the original poster...I thought that might be helpful, he did not tell whether he's using a sling.

I started some time ago do just as you say, i.e. locking the pad (even in AF-C 3D tracking I mostly start from center AF point anyway), and I removed the "hold" function from AE-L button. As for the menus, well, that is still happening from time to time.

I've been using the BR sling for one year or so now, hiking and walking, and I really love it.

I find it too slack only when I'm biking, even blocking the catches around the sliding ring, in that case I just unfasten the camera and put back the old strap (with a couple of key rings, aesthetics be damned). I'll try your suggestion of having one of the strap's ends to the tripod socket.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,729
Like?
In reply to damirb, Aug 7, 2013

Again?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads