Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions
IrGoofy
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice: Sony SEL 50 1.8 or Sigma 60 2.8
In reply to George Costanza, Aug 5, 2013

George Costanza wrote:

I would go for SEL50mm - it's faster indoors. Period.

Also, as your kid will grow very quickly and will become accustomed to you, you won't need to be as far as 50mm, and 35mm will be much more usable (but expensive as well SEL35mmf1.8).

Can you consider a flash? Especially bounce flash - it will not harm baby eyes since it is not direct light, but will give you much better results than just using a fast lens alone. In fact with good flash you can skip buying any lens and just use your zooms or buy some lens that suits you better (eg. 60mm Sigma) and not worry about it being slow. Flash will set you free.

George was right on "consider a flash (bounce method)" and "Flash will set you free"

Cheers,

IrGoofy's gear list:IrGoofy's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Aug 5, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

EvtK wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading around on the forums here and I have checked many reviews on both the Sony SEL 50 1.8 and the new Sigma 60 2.8. I can't figure out which one to buy, and I'm hoping to find some advice here. Thanks already!

I'm new to photography and have the NEX 6 with 16-50 and 55-210 glass. I want to expand my collection for the main reason to shoot under low light conditions (in the house). This is because I have a 2 months old son and I like taking some good portrait candids of him. I managed to do this with the kitlens, but on 50 mm I can't get a higher aperture of 5.6. I'm scaring the crap out of the kid, if i get closer than 50 mm

My conclusions from reading around is that the sony 50 mm has some flaws on wide open aperture. Only from f2.8/f4.0 it starts to become a 'good' lens. The sigma has very good IQ out of the box at f2.8. Ofcourse the sony has OSS as a pre.

If I would should portraits in good light conditions, I think I would go for the sigma based on the many good reviews online. But: I want to shoot inside the house, without having optimal light conditions. Would in that case, the sony 50 mm with higher aperture and OSS better suit my needs? I wonder if I, since I'm just starting as a photographer, I would notice the flaws of the sony 50 mm...

Just get the Sigma 60 with the SEL35F18. This will give you the 'long' lens with the extra sharpness, and the 'fast' lens for indoor use, with a wider view, so it is a bit easier to use.

If your kid pictures are a must, and (bounce) flash is not an option, then you will need some extra lighting (1 stop) when using the Sigma 60 over the E50. Don't be afraid to crop with the E35.

The E50 is pretty clean from f/2.2 onwards.

I believe the E50 has nicer OOF rendering (bokeh) than the Sigma.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

I agree with Henry and that's what I did. I just put up my SEL50 for sale (AF much too slow, better bokeh).

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,996Gear list
Like?

George Costanza wrote:

Also, as your kid will grow very quickly and will become accustomed to you, you won't need to be as far as 50mm, and 35mm will be much more usable (but expensive as well SEL35mmf1.8).

Can you consider a flash? Especially bounce flash - it will not harm baby eyes since it is not direct light, but will give you much better results than just using a fast lens alone. In fact with good flash you can skip buying any lens and just use your zooms or buy some lens that suits you better (eg. 60mm Sigma) and not worry about it being slow. Flash will set you free.

I found the E50 to be a bit slow indoors. And definitely, the Sigma 30 was slow in low light. Both are fast enough outdoors in good light.

How fast is the Sigma 60 in low light/indoors?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
alterstill
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Aug 5, 2013

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

[...]

Honestly speaking, I think the Sigma is the better lens.

I also have both lenses in question and without getting into details I can only confirm above statement.
Out of the 2 only Sigma feels like a quality product.

-- hide signature --
 alterstill's gear list:alterstill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
George Costanza
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to captura, Aug 5, 2013

captura wrote:

George Costanza wrote:

I found the E50 to be a bit slow indoors. And definitely, the Sigma 30 was slow in low light. Both are fast enough outdoors in good light.

Captura, I don't have 60mm Sigma, but if 50mm f1.8 was slow indoors as you are saying, then OP has to go either for Flash or Manual Focus 50mm f1.4 lenses.

mx5002
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
In reply to EvtK, Aug 5, 2013

i did this self portrait with the sigma 60mm 2.8. it is very sharp and it shows lots of detail. this has become my favorite lens.

rogatsby
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Aug 5, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

EvtK wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading around on the forums here and I have checked many reviews on both the Sony SEL 50 1.8 and the new Sigma 60 2.8. I can't figure out which one to buy, and I'm hoping to find some advice here. Thanks already!

I'm new to photography and have the NEX 6 with 16-50 and 55-210 glass. I want to expand my collection for the main reason to shoot under low light conditions (in the house). This is because I have a 2 months old son and I like taking some good portrait candids of him. I managed to do this with the kitlens, but on 50 mm I can't get a higher aperture of 5.6. I'm scaring the crap out of the kid, if i get closer than 50 mm

My conclusions from reading around is that the sony 50 mm has some flaws on wide open aperture. Only from f2.8/f4.0 it starts to become a 'good' lens. The sigma has very good IQ out of the box at f2.8. Ofcourse the sony has OSS as a pre.

If I would should portraits in good light conditions, I think I would go for the sigma based on the many good reviews online. But: I want to shoot inside the house, without having optimal light conditions. Would in that case, the sony 50 mm with higher aperture and OSS better suit my needs? I wonder if I, since I'm just starting as a photographer, I would notice the flaws of the sony 50 mm...

Just get the Sigma 60 with the SEL35F18. This will give you the 'long' lens with the extra sharpness, and the 'fast' lens for indoor use, with a wider view, so it is a bit easier to use.

If your kid pictures are a must, and (bounce) flash is not an option, then you will need some extra lighting (1 stop) when using the Sigma 60 over the E50. Don't be afraid to crop with the E35.

The E50 is pretty clean from f/2.2 onwards.

I believe the E50 has nicer OOF rendering (bokeh) than the Sigma.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

This is a good recommendation. The SEL35 is an excellent and versatile lens. But I think the SEL50 has certain advantages over the Sigma, particularly for indoor low-light shots. This is obvious. The sharpness of the SEL50 is great, even at f2. As mentioned, a flash will be necessary for the Sigma because it is slower. And while the Sigma may be better theoretically as a portrait lens due to its longer length, the SEL50 and SEL35 are also great for portraits. And they both have OSS, which is a real plus for handheld indoor shots. The SEL50 is perfectly acceptable at f1.8, and sharp even at f2.0.

SEL50

SEL35

SEL50

SEL35

Another option would be the Sigma 30, which may be the best and sharpest E-Mount lens of them all. Super affordable, sharp, and versatile.

Sigma 30

Sigma 30

rogatsby's gear list:rogatsby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,996Gear list
Like?

George Costanza wrote:

captura wrote:

George Costanza wrote:

Captura, I don't have 60mm Sigma, but if 50mm f1.8 was slow indoors as you are saying, then OP has to go either for Flash or Manual Focus 50mm f1.4 lenses.

Probably. The 30 Sigma was slow indoors so maybe the Sigma 60 will be, too. One advantage for m43 system; they are generally faster and don't need PDAF.

Getting off track now, but this biggest advantage of the NEX's PDAF system so far, seems to be focusing accuracy rather than focusing speed.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
alterstill
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Aug 5, 2013

captura wrote:

George Costanza wrote:

Sigma seems quicker in low light.

-- hide signature --
 alterstill's gear list:alterstill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?
In reply to alterstill, Aug 5, 2013

alterstill wrote:

captura wrote:

George Costanza wrote:

Sigma seems quicker in low light.

-- hide signature --

It's much quicker, in my experience.

I was shooting outdoors yesterday with both lenses, and the 50mm felt very slow to focus and actually missed focus a few times.

The Sigma 60 was bang on, every time.

For posed portraits, the 50 is very nice, but for that fleeting moment when you either get or miss a street portrait, I prefer the 60.

Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 976Gear list
Like?
I'd say 50 1.8

I don't see it as "soft" at f1.8, maybe I got a good copy ?

The OSS and 1.8 make a lot of difference, I mean 1.8 alone would, in low light.

When I just got my Nex and SEL50f1.8, I put it through paces vs my Canon DSLR with EF85/1.8 ( a legendary lens if you know Canon system well). No contest - in low light, EF simply couldn't keep up with OOS on SEL.

Now one area which I feel is a deficiency on SEL is the autofocus. It's just OK in good light, and can hunt and be slow in low light. It generally can't keep up with moving subjects in really low light. However, my Sigma primes aren't much better, besides by the time the light is low enough for it to start hunting, the Sigma won't be useable anyway.

Sony is also going to be better for video.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,606Gear list
Like?

50mm = 75mm = f1.8 = $100 more for OSS and 1.3 stops faster

60mm = 90mm = f2.8 = $100 cheaper

Pick your poison. They are more alike than different. I believe the shorter lens is more useful. I would make the decision based on which focal length works best for you.

The choice comes down to you.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,606Gear list
Like?
Is OSS helpful for a 50mm prime?

A 50mm or 75mm eq can be handheld easily to 1/75 of a  second, so 1/60 the make the math work.   Add the OSS and that becomes 4 stops or say 1/8 of a second or so.

Unfortunately to freeze movement 1/30 is about as slow as you want to shoot.

But you say what about night time landscapes? Hee not much help there either as you generally want small apertures and good DOF.

But never let reality get in the way of a great idea, right!  IS/VR/OSS was initially not available on standard/WA lenses as it is really not necessary or very useful.

But the marketing departments believed strongly that stabilization was very necessary, and the masses agree.  Now you can handhold shots at speeds guaranteed to capture subject movement! Motion blur is the new Black.  How cool is that!

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,047Gear list
Like?
Re: Is OSS helpful for a 50mm prime?
In reply to RonFrank, Aug 5, 2013

RonFrank wrote:

A 50mm or 75mm eq can be handheld easily to 1/75 of a second, so 1/60 the make the math work. Add the OSS and that becomes 4 stops or say 1/8 of a second or so.

Unfortunately to freeze movement 1/30 is about as slow as you want to shoot.

But you say what about night time landscapes? Hee not much help there either as you generally want small apertures and good DOF.

But never let reality get in the way of a great idea, right! IS/VR/OSS was initially not available on standard/WA lenses as it is really not necessary or very useful.

But the marketing departments believed strongly that stabilization was very necessary, and the masses agree. Now you can handhold shots at speeds guaranteed to capture subject movement! Motion blur is the new Black. How cool is that!

-- hide signature --

RonFrank

Good points.

I think that the MFT-IBIS muddied the waters, in particular due to the 2x crop ratio: a legacy 50mm becomes 100mm FF Equivalent, and all longer lenses go past there.

I like to shoot at 1/2*FL. For a 50mm lens that would be 1/100s. (Technically, I hold on to the 1/FL for FF Equivalent, which makes it 1/1.5*FL for APS-C crop sensors - 1/2*FL is just easier).

For motion, I like to stay above 1/125s if at all possible. I have found that higher ISO versus motion blur is always in the favor of higher ISO.

The Nex, by itself, will choose 1/60s, and begins increasing ISO then. The Nex also does not take advantage of OSS - there is no automatic mode to tell the camera that you want lower ISO, and shoot at e.g. 1/15th sec. Or that you want it to be a formula based on the actual FL...

Sony initially seemed to only want to include OSS on lenses that have a reach past 50mm, and changed this based on public response. I mean the E1018 with OSS is a great concept, but OSS for shooting landscapes at night? Would you not bring a tripod?

OSS/VR/IBIS is a must have for long tele lenses, as the 1/2*FL begins to eat up the exposure settings: a 300mm lens requiring 1/600s at f/6 or so pushes ISO up already. Being able to shoot such a lens at the same 1/125s (i.e. two stops slower) makes a big difference.

Where the OSS does make a difference -at any focal length- is for video and for the viewfinder stability. Maybe this explains part of the public's response that OSS/VR/IBIS is a big deal?

The Nex camers do have a 'sport-mode' settings, which overcomes some of the issues, but it shoots at really high ISO.

Oh yeah, we asked for FW upgrades already to limit e.g. max shutter time, min aperture, max ISO and so on - and keep these under Custom Settings (C1, C2, C3). Ah well, maybe only in a FF Nex.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 976Gear list
Like?
Yes OSS on a fast prime is extremely helpful
In reply to RonFrank, Aug 6, 2013

Just like you I always thought that a fast short tele prime does not need stabilization. I got Sony 50/1.8 before Sigma 60 was available, because I was looking for a sharp e-mount prime in that FL.

I am very glad I did. To me, the combination of 1.8 aperture, OSS and Nex's high ISO performance is golden. I tested 50 vs a Canon 85 1/8 in low light to compare sharpness and I simply could not keep Canon steady enough to get acceptable shots. I also have Minolta MD 50/1.7 and again, it's much less useful in low light due to the lack of stabilization. I took portraits of my kids in the room lighted by nothing but the TV screen. Of course they sat still, but I wouldn't be able to pull it off with a non stabilized lens without going into really high ISO. I am a believer now.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
EvtK
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to captura, Aug 6, 2013

captura wrote:

George Costanza wrote:

Just to make sure.. did you have an updated version of SEL50?

http://www.sony.co.in/support/download/523380/product/nex-6l

Thank you for your continued interest in Sony products.
Sony is offering a firmware update for Interchangeable E-mount lenses SEL1855, SEL55210, SEL18200, SEL24F18Z, SEL30M35, SEL30M35, and SEL50F18.

Applicable firmware version of the units
The applicable products are with the firmware Ver.01.

Improvements after firmware upgrade

• Enabling to utilize the function of Fast Hybrid AF.
    Note: Without updating the firmware of the lens, the camera utilizes contrast-detection AF.
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
In reply to RonFrank, Aug 6, 2013

RonFrank wrote:

Pick your poison. They are more alike than different. I believe the shorter lens is more useful. I would make the decision based on which focal length works best for you.

Agreed. What amuses me is that this thread between two lenses that are both very good and not super expensive brings out passion.

People seem to need to think their lens is absolutely best, when actually they compete well enough that the Sony will be best for some and the Sigma best for others.

Is it the closeness of the competition that heightens the interest?

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?
In reply to tomtom50, Aug 6, 2013

tomtom50 wrote:

RonFrank wrote:

Agreed. What amuses me is that this thread between two lenses that are both very good and not super expensive brings out passion.

People seem to need to think their lens is absolutely best, when actually they compete well enough that the Sony will be best for some and the Sigma best for others.

Is it the closeness of the competition that heightens the interest?

What amuses me is that some people who only own one of these lenses, consider themselves more knowledgeable than those people who own both. LOL!

As you say, they are both very nice lenses

Harbinder Marok
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?
In reply to EvtK, Aug 6, 2013

Hi,

If you are thinking about the sel 50 1.8 for casual indoor pics of children you may have more fun and get just as many keepers with a legacy such as a Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4.

The 60mm FL compared to 50mm on APSc though I find seems to be more natural to use for portraits/ street photos and it has a natural perspective for portraits.

The quality of the Sigma 60mm is evident from the photos being posted online now and although I find anything less than F2 staid (apart from the 2.8 Zenzanon on my Bronica ETRS) the Sigma lenses are useful.

Cheers.

EvtK
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Harbinder Marok, Aug 27, 2013

Hi all, I just wanted to report back on my experience with the SEL1.8 so far. I must say, I'm not completely convinced yet. I have been shooting some indoor pictures, but due to the (indeed) slow AF I feel it is hard to stay on track with a moving child. Also.. using the high aperture (anywhere between 1.8 and say 2.8) I find it extremely difficult to make sure I have focus on the right spot (that said: most of the times the eyes of the little one). When I am not shooting face to face, but on an medium angle with his face, I notice that in all of my shot only the first eye is sharp or the second eye is sharp. Getting both eyes sharp is impossible. Only by turing the aperture to values around 3.5 and higher I can manage this, but even then not all shots are sharp at both eyes.

Combined with the slow AF, I'm wondering now: did I made the right choice. Since the sigma has faster AF... and yes it starts at 2.8, but because of the narrow DOF, I wouldn't use anything below much.

Maybe I need to skill my technique, to be able to make sharp shots. Any advice?

Thanks!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads