GX7 POLL - U.S. possible buyers and color choices

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Polls
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?
GX7 POLL - U.S. possible buyers and color choices
Aug 4, 2013

We know that the U.S. will only get the silver/black version of the GX7, while other countries, including Canada, will have a choice between the silver/black version and the all-black version.  There is also a post in another thread that says that a GX7 purchased from a Canadian store by a U.S. resident will not have a warranty.  So for those of us in the U.S. who want a GX7, it looks like our choices may be either a silver/black one with warranty, or an all-black one without warranty.  I'm curious how that may affect potential buyers' decisions.

This poll is ONLY for folks in the U.S.

This poll is also ONLY for those who think they either PROBABLY or MIGHT buy a GX7.

If you don't live in the U.S., or if you aren't interested in the GX7, this poll is not for you.

The first five poll options are for people in the U.S. who think they PROBABLY would buy a GX7, at least if they could have their choice of color, while the last three are for those who think they MIGHT buy a GX7.

Sorry for so many choices, but I wanted to cover all bases!

POLL
I prefer the silver/black GX7 and will PROBABLY buy one
14.7% 11  votes
I prefer the all-black GX7 but will PROBABLY buy a silver/black one, since that is all that is available in the U.S
14.7% 11  votes
I prefer the all-black GX7 and will PROBABLY buy one from Canada or other country
20.0% 15  votes
I prefer the all-black GX7 and would PROBABLY have bought one if available in the U.S., but I still MIGHT buy a silver/black GX7
8.0% 6  votes
I prefer the all-black GX7 and would PROBABLY have bought one if available in the U.S., but I will NOT buy a GX7 if only silver/black is available in the U.S.
8.0% 6  votes
I prefer the silver/black GX7 and MIGHT buy one
17.3% 13  votes
I prefer the all-black GX7 and MIGHT have bought one if available in the U.S., but I still MIGHT buy a silver/black one
5.3% 4  votes
I prefer the all-black GX7 and MIGHT have bought one, but I will NOT buy a GX7 if only silver/black is available in the U.S.
12.0% 9  votes
  Show results
alan brown
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Re: GX7 POLL - U.S. possible buyers and color choices
In reply to brentbrent, Aug 4, 2013

brentbrent wrote:

We know that the U.S. will only get the silver/black version of the GX7, while other countries, including Canada, will have a choice between the silver/black version and the all-black version. There is also a post in another thread that says that a GX7 purchased from a Canadian store by a U.S. resident will not have a warranty. So for those of us in the U.S. who want a GX7, it looks like our choices may be either a silver/black one with warranty, or an all-black one without warranty. I'm curious how that may affect potential buyers' decisions.

This poll is ONLY for folks in the U.S.

This poll is also ONLY for those who think they either PROBABLY or MIGHT buy a GX7.

If you don't live in the U.S., or if you aren't interested in the GX7, this poll is not for you.

The first five poll options are for people in the U.S. who think they PROBABLY would buy a GX7, at least if they could have their choice of color, while the last three are for those who think they MIGHT buy a GX7.

Sorry for so many choices, but I wanted to cover all bases!

bumping to make sure people see this.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpark1982
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
In reply to alan brown, Aug 4, 2013

I'll be getting the black one from Canada.  The color option is big but I really am intrigued by the 20 kit.  It's a shame that right now it looks like the GX7 is only going to be available in the US and body only or with kit zoom. I prefer to shoot with primes, so a all black plus Mark II of the 2 pancake is ideal.  The MII of the pancake is being listed as $430 on B&H.

The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,254Gear list
Like?

I find it amazing that three people (so far) WON'T buy a silver and black one because they can't get a black one.

For me the jury is still out on the GX7 (depends on sensor, flash cpapbilities and so on), but I prefer the silver one, now, if  I couldn't get a silver one, the black one it'd be. I think of it as a machine to take pics, not a fashion accessory.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
Einst Stein
Contributing MemberPosts: 628
Like?
Prefer black and white and colored. Re: GX7 POLL - U.S. possible buyers and color choices

I prefer a black and white version and a color version.

The black and white version is for black and white pictures, Like Leica MM.

The color version is for color pictures, like Leica M.

-- hide signature --

Sorry, you mean the outlook color? silly,  I prefer the cheaper one of course.

The Jacal
Like?
Re: Prefer black and white and colored. Re: GX7 POLL - U.S. possible buyers and color choices
In reply to Einst Stein, Aug 4, 2013

Einst Stein wrote:

Fair do's, but personally I'm waiting until they issue the pink Hello Kitty version.

-- hide signature --

Sorry, you mean the outlook color? silly, I prefer the cheaper one of course.

-- hide signature --

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
Mike C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,788Gear list
Like?

Interesting Post... I agree with the prior comments about what's under the hood being more important than the exterior look of the camera.   

My strategy will be to only take under advisement everything said in the various threads before investigating the attributes of the new Panasonic sensor. And, for those saying it's the same old sensor, please see this website:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gx7/index.html

To Quote: "Panasonic developed new 16.00-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor that achieves both higher resolution and higher sensitivity image recording with less noise in comparison with the predecessor DMC-GX1. The Venus Engine features its advanced noise reduction systems which make it possible to remove large block of noise which was formally hard to detect and helps produce clear, smooth image especially for the nighttime scenery.
The combination of the new Live MOS Sensor and the Venus Engine achieves max. ISO25600".

-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

Mike C's gear list:Mike C's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 DxO Optics Pro Standard +2 more
The Jacal
Like?
In reply to Mike C, Aug 4, 2013

Mike C wrote:

Interesting Post... I agree with the prior comments about what's under the hood being more important than the exterior look of the camera.

My strategy will be to only take under advisement everything said in the various threads before investigating the attributes of the new Panasonic sensor. And, for those saying it's the same old sensor, please see this website:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gx7/index.html

To Quote: "Panasonic developed new 16.00-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor that achieves both higher resolution and higher sensitivity image recording with less noise in comparison with the predecessor DMC-GX1. The Venus Engine features its advanced noise reduction systems which make it possible to remove large block of noise which was formally hard to detect and helps produce clear, smooth image especially for the nighttime scenery.
The combination of the new Live MOS Sensor and the Venus Engine achieves max. ISO25600".

I believe Olympus said the same about the Ep3.

-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,704
Like?
I just prefer all black

and I keep cameras for a long time (I'm still using my GH1), so the $100 difference is worth it to me.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com/photography;

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,619Gear list
Like?
Re: Prefer black and white and colored. Re: GX7 POLL - U.S. possible buyers and color choices
In reply to The Jacal, Aug 4, 2013

The Jacal wrote:

Einst Stein wrote:

Fair do's, but personally I'm waiting until they issue the pink Hello Kitty version.

Yeah, but the scaly green Gojira version will eat Kitty for lunch!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?
You missed one

I prefer the silver/black and WILL buy one.  No probably about it.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
brentbrent
Like?
Re: You missed one
In reply to David Kieltyka, Aug 4, 2013

David Kieltyka wrote:

I prefer the silver/black and WILL buy one. No probably about it.

-Dave-

Hey, you could get run over by a bus tomorrow! ;-), so it IS still "probably."   I assume you voted for option #1.

So far, with 48 responses, only 17 say they prefer silver/black.  Looks like Panasonic goofed if it's only sending one version to the U.S.!

I'm starting to think hard about a black one with new 20mm lens from Canada, like someone else mentioned above.  I could compare that lens with my original version 20mm, sell whichever I like less, and probably come out with the same or lower price of a silver/black U.S. version.  Need to check on that warranty question, though.

David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?
Re: You missed one
In reply to brentbrent, Aug 5, 2013

brentbrent wrote:

Hey, you could get run over by a bus tomorrow! ;-), so it IS still "probably." I assume you voted for option #1.

I've got a GX7 on order, so even if I do get run over by a bus the camera will be delivered.    I didn't cast a vote actually but will do so for #1.

So far, with 48 responses, only 17 say they prefer silver/black. Looks like Panasonic goofed if it's only sending one version to the U.S.!

I'd guess DPR provides a skewed sample. IME "serious" photographers, or at least those wanting to look serious, go for black. (Note: most of my cameras are all black.) The fact that we're only getting the silver/black version probably has to do with the small US market for mirrorless cameras.

I'm starting to think hard about a black one with new 20mm lens from Canada, like someone else mentioned above. I could compare that lens with my original version 20mm, sell whichever I like less, and probably come out with the same or lower price of a silver/black U.S. version. Need to check on that warranty question, though.

Hey, go for it!

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
Thomas Kachadurian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, Aug 5, 2013

I will only buy an all black one but I will wait til the price drops next spring and if there no black in USA/amazon buy one on eBay.

Tom

-- hide signature --

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Snapshot7
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, Aug 6, 2013

I have an All Black E-P5 that is less than a week old.

While I have no concrete plans to return or sell it for the GX7, I would only get an All Black GX7, With the Warrantee.

Of course, function matters more than form.  I just don't like the "retro" look at all.

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,886Gear list
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, Aug 6, 2013

This should be renamed the DPR Poll Forum. Please, at least cover all the options. Mine is I don't care; silver or black is just fine.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
brentbrent
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Aug 6, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

Please, at least cover all the options. Mine is I don't care; silver or black is just fine.

Gee, I didn't think of that one.  I assume that if you are interested in the camera (probably or might buy) and if both of them were available, you would be able to make a choice between the two - you'd have to in order to place the order.  Whichever one you'd choose would presumably be your preference.  And at that point, I think you'd be able to pick one of the options I did present, no?

Or would you really just flip a coin?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads