DMC-FZ70 Lens

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Questions
Traveler582
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
DMC-FZ70 Lens
Aug 4, 2013

Are they not using a Leica lens now for the new FZ70?

I don't see it written around the lens, although I do see the gold L on the face of the camera (I thought the symbol for Leica).

Thanks!

Traveler582's gear list:Traveler582's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon D5100 Nikon D7100 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
JoviFan
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?
Re: DMC-FZ70 Lens
In reply to Traveler582, Aug 4, 2013

I believe the 'L' stands for Lumix....?

and no Leica lens on the FZ70 - might make that a deal breaker for me....was thinking of upgrading from the FZ35...

from the Panasonic website re the FZ70:

"null / LUMIX DC VARIO / 14 elements in 12 groups / (6 Aspherical Lenses / 9 Aspherical surfaces / 3 ED Lenses)"

from the Panasonic website re the FZ200:

"LEICA DC VARIO- ELMARIT / 14 elements in 10 groups / (2 Aspherical Lenses / 3 Aspherical Surfaces / 3 ED Lenses / 1 Nano Surface Coating Lens)  The LUMIX FZ60 is equipped with a high-quality LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT 25mm ultra wide-angle lens with a 24x optical zoom (35mm camera equivalent: 25-600mm), allowing for flawless shooting of dynamic landscapes or indoor group portraits."

-- hide signature --

FZ1, TZ1, FZ7, TZ5A, and now FZ35 not that I'm partial to Panny's

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin Coppalotti
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to Traveler582, Aug 4, 2013

There was some 215mm samples posted that looked absolutely shocking. I was going to pre order, but now have cold feet.  Inner Mulder and all that.

Surely they would not bring out a product that was worse than the main competitor (Canon SX50 HS) given they have had a year to work on it.

-- hide signature --
Joel Halbert
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevin Coppalotti, Aug 5, 2013

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

There was some 215mm samples posted that looked absolutely shocking. I was going to pre order, but now have cold feet. ...

I did a quick search, and found this one, that looks more than adequate at max zoom:

http://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/Lumix-FZ72-5229/large/Panasonic-Lumix-FZ72-P1000016_1375359607.jpg

-- hide signature --

JoelH

Joel Halbert's gear list:Joel Halbert's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +5 more
Marius Oosthuizen
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to Traveler582, Aug 5, 2013

No Leica Lens on the FZ70/72, only Panasonic's own Lumix Lens, NOT the same quality !

Marius Oosthuizen's gear list:Marius Oosthuizen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
panacealater
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?
In reply to Marius Oosthuizen, Aug 5, 2013

How is inferior quality measured? Merely the absence of the Leica name? For years nearly identical Lumix/Leica branded models have appeared with minor cosmetic differences and major pricing differences. People buying the Leica badge were derided for doing so because it seemed unnecessary to spend more for the same performance.

Who made this lens on the FZ-70? The specs point to what manner of inferiority? Who has performed a comprehensive test? It seems the badge prejudice lives on, in reverse.

chillgreg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103Gear list
Like?
In reply to panacealater, Aug 5, 2013

All the Panasonic lenses are made in the same factory in Japan. Rumours are the Leica name is missing to save on licence fees per unit. There's no way to know whether Panasonic utilises the same Leica-certified design and manufacturing standards for the FZ70. More than likely not. This camera is designed purely to a marketing specification with the lowest possible cost to turn units on Amazon. Panasonic are still in dire financial straits and couldn't give 2 hoots what a bunch of enthusiasts on a forum think. (We) are about .01% of the market...

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
Kevin Coppalotti
Like?
In reply to Traveler582, Aug 6, 2013

The fact that the leica badge is missing does make one blink twice. A lens of that range is going to struggle optically, especially at the edges. Digital correction can only do so much.

Is the Leica badge just there to foster confidence, or do Leica actually play a role in the design?. Suely Panny would have the expertise to design their own lenses, given the vast array of products in the line up, refreshed every year.

-- hide signature --
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,997Gear list
Like?
In reply to Traveler582, Aug 6, 2013

I think we need to see how the production cameras perform.  It's obvious the FZ70 is not Panasonic's flagship performer but rather a strong competitor when it comes to sales specs. Don't get too wound up about the lack of the Leica name.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Traveler582
Like?
In reply to kkardster, Aug 13, 2013

Thanks for all the responses. I did pre-order it, partly because I already have the FZ100 24x zoom and love it.

Although at the 60x range I would have hoped they stuck with Leica, and yes, I am into brand names I think they have their place.

This is a little off base, but I really would have hoped they also stuck with the fully articulating LCD.

I recently purchased the Nikon P510 with a tilting LCD and it makes no sense to me considering the fully articulating's capabilities. I've yanked and twisted on that FZ100 LCD every which way I could and never had a problem and love it. And being that the FZ100 has one, why wouldn't they make the FZ70 with one also!

I hope the sales trend isn't to first come out with no moving LCD and then six months later after you've already bought the first model, to then come out with one as Nikon did with the P520....

Canon EOS 600D Nikon D5100 Nikon D7100 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,848Gear list
Like?
In reply to Traveler582, Aug 13, 2013

The FZ70 is the FZ60 replacement. FZ60 didn't have the articulating screen either. FZ70 is not the FZ200 replacement. FZ200 would have been a replacement for the FZ100 and FZ150.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D
Condor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Aug 13, 2013

I own SX30 and FZ200. I'm very interested in coming FZ70 (1200mm equiv) and to compare its output with SX50 and HX300.

Any FZ70 1200mm samples yet?

I understand that FZ70 accepts native 1.7x Teleconverter, when SX50 don't... Not sure about HX300.

Ed

Traveler582
Like?
In reply to Condor, Aug 14, 2013
Condor
Like?
In reply to Traveler582, Aug 14, 2013

Traveler582 wrote:

dpreview came out with some images....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/13/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz70-sample-images

Thanks,

But unfortunately there are only 2 max zoom shots at 215mm (1200mm equiv). A distant airplain and some distant marina on a hot (blurry air) day situation.

I was asking for samples taken by real superzoom users.

Ed

John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,362Gear list
Like?
Re: DMC-FZ70 Lens. Try this site.

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz72

Condor wrote:

But unfortunately there are only 2 max zoom shots at 215mm (1200mm equiv). A distant airplain and some distant marina on a hot (blurry air) day situation.

Ed

Condor
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Aug 14, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz72

Condor wrote:

Ed

Excellent,

Those are the kind of samples I was looking for.

I"ll have fun checking the details om them.

Ed

Condor
Like?

Looks like they have a lot of in-camera processing.

Ed

sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,243Gear list
Like?

Condor wrote:

Looks like they have a lot of in-camera processing.

Ed

You might want to take a look at this one also

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51979113

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Kevin Coppalotti
Like?
Underwhelmed
In reply to Traveler582, Aug 15, 2013

Not impressed by the 1200 shots i've seen. Hard to tell wether its camera shake, dof, or just a soft lens, or all of the above.

-- hide signature --
samualson
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed
In reply to Kevin Coppalotti, Aug 15, 2013

They may not be great,  but so far and for many potential buyers it passes and that will sell a ton of them.   We know this is not an enthusiast camera and it's not aiming to be , need to remember that .

The IQ just needs to be acceptable and i think it will be ,  it does have Raw and a Hotshoe and for it's asking price , i think it's going to sell far more than many predict .

Now if only Pani had a clue about advertising and getting them in retail outlets , thats always a limiting factor that gives Canon and others a huge edge.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads