Windows 8 Home cannot map to NAS Folder

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Robert Schoner
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
Windows 8 Home cannot map to NAS Folder
11 months ago

Hi,

I have a new Buffalo Linkstation ls-421de NAS with 2 1tb hard drives and I cannot map Windows 8 to the drives. I can map a Windows 7 machine and a Windows 7 netbook to the drives. Using Buffalo's NAS Navigator software on the Windows 8 machine I can see the Linkstation, the drives and create folders; but I can't map them. I'm using a D-Link DIR-601 wireless router. The Linkstation is ethernet cable connected to the router. The Windows 8 machine uses a wireless connection. I tried an ethernet cable connection directly to the Linkstation but still no luck. I just got off the phone with Tech Support and my problem is being escalated.

I have done various Google searches for Windows 8 NAS and it seems to be a problem but none of the Google recommendations (Registry Changes etc.) have helped. It also seems that Microsoft disabled some of the network controls in the Home version that are present in the Pro version so maybe I have to upgrade.

Has anyone used Windows 8 with an NAS system? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Schoner

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,504
Like?
Re: Windows 8 Home cannot map to NAS Folder
In reply to Robert Schoner, 11 months ago

Robert Schoner wrote:Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0T0LU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Schoner
Like?
In reply to Jim Cockfield, 11 months ago

Hi Jim,

Yes, I guess I could go back to Windows 7 since it seems to work with the NAS. I will wait for Buffalo to get back to me. It's hard to believe that Win 8 has network issues that have not been fixed.

Bob Schoner

Jim Cockfield
Like?
not hard to believe

Robert Schoner wrote:

Hi Jim,

Yes, I guess I could go back to Windows 7 since it seems to work with the NAS. I will wait for Buffalo to get back to me. It's hard to believe that Win 8 has network issues that have not been fixed.

I think that Buffalo box probably has a Linux kernel using Samba for Windows compatible network shares.

Unfortunately, with each new version of Windows, it seems like Microsoft has been working hard to cause compatibility issues via changing authentication methods, etc.

Chances are, you can modify a file somewhere on the NAS machine to make it work with the latest changes Microsoft has made to networking sharing authentication, and/or modify a registry entry somewhere on the Win 8 machines to get them working with the NAS setup you already have.

You may want to check threads in the Buffalo specific forums for more info from users that have experienced this issue to find the best solution (modifying Samba config files on their NAS, and/or modifying Windows registry entries).

Or, you could just send Microsoft a message and quit using Windows entirely.

For example, I use Linux >99% of the time (it's been approximately 2 months since I even booted into the Win 7 partition on my desktop, and that was just to update it with the latest "patch Tuesday" Updates, AV signatures, etc.). IOW, I only use it for testing of camera manufacturers' software when helping out with reviews. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother to keep Windows installed at all.

I'm running behind lately (didn't bother to boot into Windows 7 to update last month's updates, and decided to wait until the next updates and do two months at once).

Anyway, there are many alternatives to Windows. So, if you get tired of this kind of thing, I'd suggest looking into those alternatives.  For example, take a look at some of the popular distributions covered by distrowatch here:

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=4

For someone new to LInux, I'd probably suggest looking at Mint.  More about it here:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2366

That way, you'd have a modern Operating System with most apps you'd need available (for example, Firefox or Chrome for Web Browsing, LibreOffice or OpenOffice for docs and spreadsheets, lots of media players including VLC, and even messaging clients like Skype.   Of course, you'd also have lots of video editors, etc. available, and loads of image editing apps available.  Personally, I use Corel AfterShot Pro (commercial and available for Windows, OS X and Linux) for raw conversion and image management. But, there are lots of open source apps available for that kind of thing, too.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Jim Cockfield
Like?
Re: not hard to believe

P.S.

IRT my last post, what you'll find is that LIiux is only the underlying kernel, and there are many different Window managers available (LXDE, Gnome, KDE, etc.) with completely different looks and feels.

Anyway, if you get tired of Microsoft making changes to Windows that impact compatibility with your NAS, I'd suggest experimenting with some of the popular Linux distributions.

Here's a review of LInux Mint (using the Cinnamon desktop, which is only one of many choices available for it) that I mentioned in my last post.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-olivia-cinnamon.html

Personally, I prefer linux distributions using a KDE desktop instead (see http://www.kde.org/ for more info). See this thread for some screen captures showing Kubuntu using it:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41502125

But, for someone brand new to Linux, I'd probably suggest looking at Linux Mint using Cinnamon, as it has most of what you'd need already preinstalled.

Anyway, if you get tired of Microsoft changing authentication parameters for interfacing with your NAS with new Windows versions, I'd strongly suggest giving one of the popular LInux distros a try (and you can easily install one in a dual boot config with Windows, so that you can select the OS you boot into each time your restart your PC).

See the screen captures in the thread I just linked to in order to get a better idea of just how easy one of the popular distros is to use (and you'd have software like Firefox and Chrome for Web Browser, LibreOffice and OpenOffice for docs and spreadsheets, VLC for media playback, Skype for video chats, and *lots* of apps for image editing.

This thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41502125

Of course, you could use software like the free VirtualBox software from https://www.virtualbox.org/ (as shown in that thread) to easily test drive different Linux distros to find one that you like. Then, install it in a dual boot config with Windows (so that you can boot into either OS as desired).

It's very easy to do (you don't have to put up with Microsoft's changes if you don't want to, as there are many alternatives to Windows).  So, if you get tired of the compatibility issues with newer Windows releases, just say no.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,047Gear list
Like?

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Robert Schoner wrote:

Hi Jim,

I think that Buffalo box probably has a Linux kernel using Samba for Windows compatible network shares.

Unfortunately, with each new version of Windows, it seems like Microsoft has been working hard to cause compatibility issues via changing authentication methods, etc.

Microsoft isn't trying to break linux compatibility, they are trying to improve Windows functionality.  Windows 8 and Server 2012 moved to SMB 3.0, which is MUCH faster and robust for file sharing.   If Linux can't keep up their compatibility, that is hardly MS fault for moving on.

Robert Schoner
Like?

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy to Switch to Linux (for me anyway). I have several programs that are Windows specific, Photshop, QImage etc. I suppose I could try Wine or some other emulator. But, at least one of the machines is for my wife and I think that's going to have to be a Windows box. I want all machines to be able to access the NAS box so they can work on common files so a common OS would be easier. Yes, I think the Buffalo box is a Linux kernal.

If Buffalo can't figure it out I may have to go back to Win 7 but that will mean a new clean install on the new machine and reload all programs. Looking at the internet it looks like others (Synology) have had issues so I don't think the issue is exclusive to Buffalo. I'll await the escalation response I get from Buffalo.

Bob Schoner

Jim Cockfield
Like?

Robert Schoner wrote:

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy to Switch to Linux (for me anyway). I have several programs that are Windows specific, Photshop, QImage etc. I suppose I could try Wine or some other emulator. But, at least one of the machines is for my wife and I think that's going to have to be a Windows box. I want all machines to be able to access the NAS box so they can work on common files so a common OS would be easier. Yes, I think the Buffalo box is a Linux kernal.

If Buffalo can't figure it out I may have to go back to Win 7 but that will mean a new clean install on the new machine and reload all programs. Looking at the internet it looks like others (Synology) have had issues so I don't think the issue is exclusive to Buffalo. I'll await the escalation response I get from Buffalo.\

I'd check with the Buffalo specific forums. Chances are, you can change the Samba config files on your NAS. and/or edit some of the Windows registry entries to get it to work again.

Personally, I don't like it that MS makes these types of changes with new Windows releases, especially since most users of NAS devices access them on a local LAN behind a firewall (versus via external access where security plays a more important role).  IOW I see the changes as being designed to disrupt compatibility versus trying to improve anything.

But, there are others that are going to disagree.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Jim Cockfield
Like?
So, let's force everyone to upgrade, right?
In reply to tkbslc, 11 months ago

tkbslc wrote:

Microsoft isn't trying to break linux compatibility, they are trying to improve Windows functionality. Windows 8 and Server 2012 moved to SMB 3.0, which is MUCH faster and robust for file sharing. If Linux can't keep up their compatibility, that is hardly MS fault for moving on.

Sure they are.

Microsoft has a long history of forcing users to upgrade to newer products in order for them to continue working with each other.

That's not only true for third party products, but also true for Microsoft products.

IOW, the apparent idea is that users will upgrade to the "latest and greatest" desktop Operating Systems, Server Operating Systems, Office Applications, etc, so that they'll continue to work together.

Sometimes they'll offer compatibility packages for MS products so that they'll continue working with each other.

But, the goal is relatively obvious (to get users to upgrade to newer products "across the board" to insure compatibility with each other).

It's planned obsolescence (and that's being nice to them).

Microsoft is a master at that kind of thing. Just google for Embrance, Extend and Exinquish to see their history in that area, where they take standards and extend them to keep competing products from being fully compatible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Jim Cockfield
Like?
I don't think I'll recommend Win 8 again...

tkbslc wrote:

Microsoft isn't trying to break linux compatibility, they are trying to improve Windows functionality. Windows 8 and Server 2012 moved to SMB 3.0, which is MUCH faster and robust for file sharing. If Linux can't keep up their compatibility, that is hardly MS fault for moving on.

P.S.

Again, B.S. (see my last post).

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Windows 8. But, as a general rule of thumb, I don't discourage users from going with Win 8 versus Win 7; since they can install something like the free Classic Shell for Windows to get Win 7 functionality back again (Start Menu, etc.)

But, given the issues with SMB/CIFS compatibility (as evident in this thread), I may rethink my position.

If Microsoft is going to take the position of being incompatible with anything other than SMB 3.0 by default with Win 8 (so that users that have existing servers and NAS devices using older CIFS/SMB versions can't use Windows 8 to connect to them), then I think I'll keep that in mind before recommending Windows 8 going forward.

That's a darn shame (Microsoft breaking compatibility with servers using anything other than the latest SMB 3.0 release); as they should have included a mechanism to fall back to working with existing servers/NAS devices using the previous versions by default.

I suspect there are some Win 8 registry entries available to allow compatibility with older SMB versions (hopefully, anyway). But, users should not have to go to that much trouble (finding switches/registry changes) to use their existing NAS devices with Win 8.

So, I'll definitely keep that in mind before recommending Win 8 again going forward (as it's looking more and more like Microsoft is just getting to be too greedy, judging by the Windows 8 design).

Thanks for the clarification on SMB versions.  From now on, I think my position will be to tell buyers to avoid Windows 8 at all costs.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888
Like?

Guys, let's try to keep the Win 8 is evil theme out, at least until we're sure about this SMB3 only bit.  Changing to Linux really isn't the answer he is looking for here.

If it really isn't possible to get win8 to work in smb2 mode, it's probably going to be a bit of time before before samba (esp on the NAS) supports it.  But it may be possible to use the NFS protocol instead.

tkbslc
Like?
Re: So, let's force everyone to upgrade, right?

Jim Cockfield wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Sure they are.

Microsoft has a long history of forcing users to upgrade to newer products in order for them to continue working with each other

Apple has a much worse track record in this regard and with Linux you are lucky if it works with your peripherals at all. MS still has by far the best track record in universal compatibility.

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888
Like?

tkbslc wrote:

Apple has a much worse track record in this regard and with Linux you are lucky if it works with your peripherals at all. MS still has by far the best track record in universal compatibility.

uh, with OSX you have bootcamp to run windows and ability to read the windows partition.  With Windows, you have neither ability to go the other way.  It is the odd man out, abeit the 800lb gorilla odd man out.

theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?

tkbslc wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Sure they are.

Microsoft has a long history of forcing users to upgrade to newer products in order for them to continue working with each other

Apple has a much worse track record in this regard

OSX in all versions works just fine with SMB in all pre-3.0 versions. There are no issues at all connecting a Mountain Lion machine to an SMB 2.0 NAS. Frankly, I have no idea at all where you get the idea Apple systems are worse at connecting to network services than new versions of Windows. There is always a gap when Microsoft breaks (intentionally or not, though the gain for them to do so is clear) backwards network service compatibility. OSX has no issues what so ever connecting to any kind of local network service, and Apple has no incentive to cause any such problems either.

and with Linux you are lucky if it works with your peripherals at all.

Linux has worked fine with every mouse, keyboard and monitor I have ever owned, and with most of my network cards out of the box, without any third party drivers. And it's a lot better than any Microsoft product at connecting to network systems out of the box.

MS still has by far the best track record in universal compatibility.

Not even remotely. Without third party drivers a LOT of peripherals do not work at all with Microsoft OS'es. And one major problem is, these third party drivers are seldom updated as the OS is updated. I have a scanner from the early 1990's which works fine in Linux, and has since 1994, but which doesn't even have drivers for Windows XP, much less Windows 7 or 8.

Sadly that's not a very extreme case either. A lot of very expensive medical and industrial systems require XP to work since there are no drivers available for any other OS at all. That leaves anyone using those systems in the bind of having to throw out tremendously expensive hardware for no other reason than that Microsoft has EOL'd their OS.

Had the machine instead interfaced Linux there would be no EOL. I know of nothing which was once supported by Linux which no longer is.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Robert Schoner
Like?
Re: Windows 8 Home cannot map to NAS Folder/SMB
In reply to kelpdiver, 11 months ago

Hi,

Thanks for getting us back on track.:-)

The Linkstation software has a SMB On/Off switch so I tried turning it off but no luck.

Does anybody know what Registry items relate to SMB; maybe I could Google that?
Thanks.

Bob Schoner

Jim Cockfield
Like?
Just for Giggles....

Just for giggles, try making sure your network is set to Home (then restart your PC after changing the settings).   See this thread:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=60999#p251430

"Go to System in Win 8. This is really easy on the metro screen type system then in settings its right there. (this screen has your Windows Experience rating)

Under Computer name, domain, and work group settings to the right it says change settings. Clink this.

Under Network ID it will have 2 bubble options: This computer is part of a business netowork or part of a home computer. I chose HOME COMPUTER option. Restarted and problem solved. Good luck!"

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Robert Schoner
Like?
Re: Just for Giggles....

Hi Jim,

I have seen this. Unfortunately, something must have changed since this was posted; I do not have the "two bubbles" option.

Another "fix" that comes ip a lot is to change the Registry: HKey/ LocalMachine/System/CurrentControSet/Services/LanmanWorkstation/Parameters/RequireSecuritySignature and set this to 0. But, it's already at 0.

Bob Schoner

tkbslc
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, 11 months ago

kelpdiver wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

uh, with OSX you have bootcamp to run windows and ability to read the windows partition. With Windows, you have neither ability to go the other way. It is the odd man out, abeit the 800lb gorilla odd man out.

Forgive me, but if you are dual booting into windows or running a windows VM, then you aren't running on OSX, you are then running Windows.  And the reason that is so prevalent on Apple boxes is because you often need to for compatibility reasons.

I can dual boot Apple on a hackintosh and you can run OSX in a VM on windows, too:

http://www.sysprobs.com/easily-run-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-retail-on-pc-with-vmware-image

But I agree with your other post, lets turn this into something productive.

tkbslc
Like?
Have you tried this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686098

Seems like it might be related

Robert Schoner
Like?
Re: Have you tried this?

Hi,

Thanks for the link. Step one is to ask the third party to fix the problem; that's in the works.

Step two was a registry change; that did not work either.

Bob Schoner

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads