Wide angle prime lens for DX by Nikon? Will it happen?

Started Aug 3, 2013 | Discussions
scarlet knight
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
Wide angle prime lens for DX by Nikon? Will it happen?
Aug 3, 2013

I enjoy my 35mm f/1.8 lens for DX. It is similar to a 50mm on a full frame. How about a DX prime lens by Nikon that is wide angle (24-28mm equivalent)with a fast aperture? Coming?

scarlet knight's gear list:scarlet knight's gear list
Nikon D3100 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000
photoeng
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide angle prime lens for DX by Nikon? Will it happen?
In reply to scarlet knight, Aug 3, 2013

I use the 24mm F2.8 and find that it suits my needs. Not necessarily pin sharp all the time, but not bad. I have the AF-D and the manual N-ai that works fine in manual mode on my D40.

-- hide signature --

David

http://photo.blogrlabs.com/

My gear list: D40 / D70s / D200
A bunch of lenses

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,445
Like?
very slight

scarlet knight wrote:

I enjoy my 35mm f/1.8 lens for DX. It is similar to a 50mm on a full frame. How about a DX prime lens by Nikon that is wide angle (24-28mm equivalent)with a fast aperture? Coming?

Your looking for a fast 16-20mm prime for DX only. That would still be a pretty expensive lens (DX doesn't save much when going wide).  Since you already have a 16mm and 20mm f2.8 in FX...I would say the chances of seeing the same lenses redone in DX is very very very slight.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

GlennW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,322Gear list
Like?

scarlet knight wrote:

Don't forget the 10.5mm fisheye.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878
Like?

scarlet knight wrote:

Closest you will come to the quality of a DX prime would probably be the Sigma 18-35 F1.8

Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,637
Like?
In reply to StillLearning, Aug 3, 2013

StillLearning wrote:

scarlet knight wrote:

Closest you will come to the quality of a DX prime would probably be the Sigma 18-35 F1.8

The 18-35 is an interesting lens, no doubt.  One thing about it though... it's friggen huge and heavy.  Which is kind of anti-primeish.

StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, Aug 3, 2013

Nexu1 wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

scarlet knight wrote:

The 18-35 is an interesting lens, no doubt. One thing about it though... it's friggen huge and heavy. Which is kind of anti-primeish.

Didn't say it would be convenient.  Just that it should be near prime quality.  Besides cramming all those primes into one lens it's bound to add some weight.

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,258Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, Aug 3, 2013

Nexu1 wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

scarlet knight wrote:

The 18-35 is an interesting lens, no doubt. One thing about it though... it's friggen huge and heavy. Which is kind of anti-primeish.

Check out the Samyang 16mm f/2 MF lens, the Nikon version is available with a metering chip as well. It's still not light at 615g, the Nikon 14mm f/2.8 is only slightly heavier at 670g.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,921Gear list
Like?

scarlet knight wrote:

I wish there was a 24mm DX prime at say F2. This would not be a big or heavy lens because the Fuji X100 has one and it is tiny

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

scarlet knight
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, Aug 3, 2013

Agree, Wellington!

scarlet knight's gear list:scarlet knight's gear list
Nikon D3100 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads