Bad Cyber-shot or?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
supperap
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Bad Cyber-shot or?
11 months ago

Hi

I have big problems with my Sony TX100V: it will not take decent photos!

There are problems with noise and blurring photos. I do not know if it's a bad edition (camera) or just bad software on it.

I need your evaluation of my photos - and are the noisy or blurry?

Look at my gallery, and try to zoom:

http://supperap.smugmug.com/Other/Sony/30711262_CtFBnG

Regards

Elle

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX100V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,528Gear list
Like?
Re: Bad Cyber-shot or?
In reply to supperap, 11 months ago

Besides being boring test photos, what exactly is supposed to be wrong with those? I don't see anything that's atypical of a shot taken with a middle range P&S. I didn't see any objectionable noise and didn't feel any of the images were unacceptably blurred either.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to Biggs23, 11 months ago

Biggs23 wrote:

Besides being boring test photos, what exactly is supposed to be wrong with those? I don't see anything that's atypical of a shot taken with a middle range P&S. I didn't see any objectionable noise and didn't feel any of the images were unacceptably blurred either.

Agreed.  OP should work on technique.  Camera seems within spec.

supperap
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 11 months ago

Too bad. I can see it etc. look at the blue water (you can see digital pixel noise) and the forest photos, they are very unsharp. You can say, it is a camera with a price of 400-500 $ , but my LG mobil camera take better shots.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,239
Like?

Last one looked good for that type of camera. The first two have lots of ugly artifacts at 100% view in the cleaner areas - almost like an intelligent NR algorithm that leaves the detailed areas alone and turns the skies/water to mush ... I'd look at camera settings - jpeg quality, noise reduction ... have you done any post processing to them that would result in resaving them ? I don't think there's anything wrong with the camera. I also avoid using high res cameras with 1/2.3" sensors if possible because they tend to get ugly at full res.

Beyond that, the trick is to avoid looking at full zoomed view.  I bet these print just fine, at least up to some reasonable size.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
supperap
Like?
In reply to Dennis, 11 months ago

Thanks, you can see it.

These photos is "raw" (not raw format) from the camera - I have only taken a copy of the photos (nothing else). But I dont no why, the camera is so bad to "reproduce" water; as you say, it looks wrong. But I think other smal cameras taken better photos etc. lumix ft5.

Regards

Elle

FrankieJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253Gear list
Like?

Agree with what others have said. Seems to be on-par performance for that type of camera.

From my experience with Sony, they seem to go a bit heavy on Noise Reduction which blurs/smears out detail more so than other manufacturers.

Now that you know what you have to work with - remember, better photos are your responsibility. Blaming your camera for blah photos is like blaming a spatula for a bad meal.

supperap
Like?
In reply to FrankieJ, 11 months ago

Better if you get a pair of glasses - as I say, my Lg mobil cam take better pictures. You can not see it, but others can see it, why? I dont think you are serious!

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,999Gear list
Like?

supperap wrote:

Too bad. I can see it etc. look at the blue water (you can see digital pixel noise) and the forest photos, they are very unsharp. You can say, it is a camera with a price of 400-500 $ , but my LG mobil camera take better shots.

I didn't look at O (original size) before, but now I see what you are talking about.  That is not digital pixel noise, it is larger by far than a pixel, its some sort of clumping, its really ugly, there is a bad fault in some algorithm in the firmware that is probably related to noise reduction.

I have a small sensor SX260 and never see anything like that.

You might be best to get the sony forum to give feedback as there may be a setting that fixes it.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

supperap wrote:

Hi

I have big problems with my Sony TX100V: it will not take decent photos!

There are problems with noise and blurring photos. I do not know if it's a bad edition (camera) or just bad software on it.

I need your evaluation of my photos - and are the noisy or blurry?

Look at my gallery, and try to zoom:

http://supperap.smugmug.com/Other/Sony/30711262_CtFBnG

Regards

Elle

They actually don't look that bad to me. They are consistent with I've seen from small sensor compacts.

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?

Looking at the full size images, you have some really strange artifacts there. I have viewed full size images from this camera on some review sites and they do not look like this.

I don't know if this is some part of the cameras processing to try and boost contrast and sharpness in landscape mode. Try resetting to defaults.

I expect some softening in the corners and noise at high ISO with such a small sensor and folded optical system, but these are just awful.

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, 11 months ago
supperap
Like?

Thanks for the good answers - and help!

I will complain this (the bad pictures) to Sony, all in all it is related to bad firmware (I think). And small censors is not the issue here; these picture taken with my LG/Nokia Mobile does not have the same problems:

http://supperap.smugmug.com/Nature/LgNokia-mobil-cam/30938786_NqznqX

Regards

Elle

DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,716
Like?

If you feel your cell phone takes better pictures, just use your cell phone.

supperap
Like?
In reply to DaveOl, 11 months ago

I will , but that was not the case.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads