D7100 - HDR

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions
malizivko
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
D7100 - HDR
Aug 2, 2013

I had my new D7100 for few days and I am in love, but for some reason I cant figure out how to set up HDR since my old D60 never had that option (or i did not know hot to use it).  I did re-search on the forum and I cant find explanation.  Regardless of my mode, A, S or scene HDR option is grayed out.

malizivko's gear list:malizivko's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,003
Like?
JPEG
In reply to malizivko, Aug 2, 2013

malizivko wrote:

I had my new D7100 for few days and I am in love, but for some reason I cant figure out how to set up HDR since my old D60 never had that option (or i did not know hot to use it). I did re-search on the forum and I cant find explanation. Regardless of my mode, A, S or scene HDR option is grayed out.

You have to be shooting JPEG and not Raw (as noted on page 115 in the manual). Are you shooting JPEG?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mohammad AlLawati
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 - HDR
In reply to malizivko, Aug 2, 2013

I had my new D7100 for few days and I am in love, but for some reason I cant figure out how to set up HDR since my old D60 never had that option (or i did not know hot to use it).  I did re-search on the forum and I cant find explanation.  Regardless of my mode, A, S or scene HDR option is grayed out.

Hit BKT button under the flash button and keep pressing and roll the dials to change the exposure to lets say 1 stop and the other dial to change the number of photos shot up to 5.
Good luck
--
Nikon D7100
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

Mohammad AlLawati's gear list:Mohammad AlLawati's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Not bracketing
In reply to Mohammad AlLawati, Aug 2, 2013

Mohammad AlLawati wrote:

I had my new D7100 for few days and I am in love, but for some reason I cant figure out how to set up HDR since my old D60 never had that option (or i did not know hot to use it). I did re-search on the forum and I cant find explanation. Regardless of my mode, A, S or scene HDR option is grayed out.

Hit BKT button under the flash button and keep pressing and roll the dials to change the exposure to lets say 1 stop and the other dial to change the number of photos shot up to 5.
Good luck

He's not bracketing for multiple exposures to do a HDR composition. He is trying to enable "HDR mode" to produce an in-camera HDR image with one press of the shutter release...I think

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7100
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Mohammad AlLawati
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Re: Not bracketing
In reply to Mako2011, Aug 2, 2013

Mohammad AlLawati wrote:

Good luck

He's not bracketing for multiple exposures to do a HDR composition. He is trying to enable "HDR mode" to produce an in-camera HDR image with one press of the shutter release...I think

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7100
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

-- hide signature --

Oh I see, why would one want this when he has D lighting and can do proper RAW HDR?
Is it good the in camera to do HDR in camera?
--
Nikon D7100
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

Mohammad AlLawati's gear list:Mohammad AlLawati's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
D lighting not HDR
In reply to Mohammad AlLawati, Aug 2, 2013

Mohammad AlLawati wrote:

Mohammad AlLawati wrote:

Good luck

-- hide signature --

Oh I see, why would one want this when he has D lighting and can do proper RAW HDR?

Because D lighting is only applied to a single image after the fact (It is not ADL) and can only be used to tone map a single capture. That single capture (before D Lighting applied) can not include more DR than the sensor can capture. That does not even come close to what HDR is. HDR mode can take two images that differ is stops of Exposure and DR. Then can then produce an HDR image, from those two images, that tone maps more DR range than a single image is able to capture...and is very different than post processed D Lighting.

For creating a true HDR image on the fly from two exposures...yes.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7100
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

-- hide signature --

Richy6771
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Re: D lighting not HDR

Mako2011 wrote:

Mohammad AlLawati wrote:

Mohammad AlLawati wrote:

Good luck

-- hide signature --

Because D lighting is only applied to a single image after the fact (It is not ADL) and can only be used to tone map a single capture. That single capture (before D Lighting applied) can not include more DR than the sensor can capture. That does not even come close to what HDR is. HDR mode can take two images that differ is stops of Exposure and DR. Then can then produce an HDR image, from those two images, that tone maps more DR range than a single image is able to capture...and is very different than post processed D Lighting.

For creating a true HDR image on the fly from two exposures...yes

My understanding is that you would need at least two and preferably more bracketed exposures taken with the use of a tripod since most sensors have a DR of maybe 7 stops, whereas some scenes may have DR of 12 stops. Then they are combined in PP RAW converter, right?

Richy6771's gear list:Richy6771's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 +1 more
Hisma
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
Re: D lighting not HDR
In reply to Richy6771, Aug 2, 2013

I experimented with bracketing mode, and the most exposures it allowed for me was 3.  What would be limiting my amount of exposures to 3, and what is the best way to take a full range of say 7 stops?  (short of doing it in PP?)

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Sort of...
In reply to Richy6771, Aug 2, 2013

Richy6771 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Mohammad AlLawati wrote:

Mohammad AlLawati wrote:

Good luck

-- hide signature --

For creating a true HDR image on the fly from two exposures...yes

My understanding is that you would need at least two and preferably more bracketed exposures taken with the use of a tripod since most sensors have a DR of maybe 7 stops, whereas some scenes may have DR of 12 stops. Then they are combined in PP RAW converter, right?

Sort of right/wrong. Most modern DSLR's are capable of capturing 11 EV/stops or more of DR in a single capture at base ISO. D7000 at base ISO can capture a 13+ DR scene in a single exposure . So at base ISO...a 2 shot bracket with a D7100, in HDR mode, can still produce an HDR of a scene having a DR of 15 or more. A steady hand and VR can negate the need for a tripod, in many cases, when capturing those bracketed exposures. Software, recently, has made the need for a tripod less a factor. Yes true HDR images are done by combining 2 or more capture (of different exposure) in post. But some cameras (D7100) can do it in camera using two different images taken with one press of the shutter release (still two different exposures)...resulting in a true HDR image. That is HDR mode.

-- hide signature --

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
5 shot
In reply to Hisma, Aug 2, 2013

Hisma wrote:

I experimented with bracketing mode, and the most exposures it allowed for me was 3. What would be limiting my amount of exposures to 3, and what is the best way to take a full range of say 7 stops? (short of doing it in PP?)

With the D7100 you can do 5 shots in a bracket (have to set increment to -/+ 2 or less for 5 shot)  for -4, -2, 0, +2, +4  which could theoretically cover a scene with a DR of 20+

-- hide signature --

tripleC
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Sort of...

Does anyone know if the D5200 has this HDR capability?

tripleC's gear list:tripleC's gear list
Gimp
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Yes it does
In reply to tripleC, Aug 2, 2013

tripleC wrote:

Does anyone know if the D5200 has this HDR capability?

Yes, same two exposure HDR mode

-- hide signature --

GaborF
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
Re: Sort of...
In reply to Mako2011, Aug 3, 2013

I agree with Mako. I think the HDR craze gone wild with big numbers flying, but (with my limited experience) I think Nikon got it right.

HDR - combining two shots handheld (unfortunately no auto-align, but its made for street fast photography).

Bracketing- many people label this as HDR - could be a longer setup, 5 shots, sometimes post-production oversaturation and unnatural colors added justify HDR for some. This I think is more bracketing and post-production, so I think the way its labelled by Nikon is good.

malizivko
Like?
Re: JPEG

Mako2011 wrote:

malizivko wrote:

You have to be shooting JPEG and not Raw (as noted on page 115 in the manual). Are you shooting JPEG?

-- hide signature --

Actually, I had in RAW so that is the reason why I was not able to change it.  As soon as I did change it to JPG its working :).

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
malizivko
Like?
Re: Not bracketing

Mako2011 wrote:

Mohammad AlLawati wrote:

Good luck

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7100
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

-- hide signature --

Yes, I was able to set it to HDR after changing to JPEG.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads